Lasik For Eye Vision Correction

salim9370

LASIK

I am about 55 yrs old, I am tired of wearing bifocal glasses all the time specially while playing golf and I am sweating so it becomes a pain wiping out the sweat from glasses all the time. I am thinking whether LASIK is a good idea ? I hear I do not have to wear the glasses all the time if I correct the distant vision.

I have heard of two hospitals in BKK Thailand ; RUTIN Eye Hospital and TRSC International LASIK Center, can somebody who has done it let me know which is the best place and probable cost ?

Salim

Dhaka

Im about the same age as you, i didnt need glasses till 5 years ago, I got some vari-focals, so there is no rapid change in close or far vision, [never climb a ladder with bi-focals!!} .. I did enquire about laser corrective sugery back in the UK a few years ago and definitly decided against it, i think the price was 600quid, the vari-focals were 200quid, also not being keen on somebody playing with my most important senses with a laser beam, and as i understand it, you have to have this done every 2 years, same as eye test.

Perhaps try vari-focals, a rambo style sweat band round forehead and an icy cold wet towel around neck tucked into t-shirt, thats what i do when tinkering about on wifes farm,

Ok Salim, hope this helps, good luck, Lickey.

I went to TRSC in January and had Lasik done. It was a very good place and I have had no problems and am VERY happy I did it. Mad that I took so long to do it actually. They have a website where you can read about the prices and all info you would need. I did the most expensive option because I figure this is not an area of life to try to save money on.

A bit off topic but what happens after a year or two when your eye sight gone a bit worse, are you back to square one and need lasik again?

I really believe this is the case, same with glasses, so more corrective sugery is needed, if not, lasik would be a lot more popular and exspensive.

Lickey.

as i understand it, you have to have this done every 2 years, same as eye test.

Not true - unless there is some chronic deterioration from other ongoing abnormal causes. For everyone else, once is it. I had my eyes done in London 12 years ago and my vision is as good today as it was the week after the op. The short procedure is at worst slightly uncomfortable but there is no pain and you will be amazed at the difference within hours. Like everyone else I know who has had the procedure, the only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. In my case, I still had to use specs for reading very small print in a dim light - but I use the same strength reading specs today as I did after the op and before (when I had gas-permeable contacts).

I do agree that it's an area where you shouldn't be looking for cut-price bargains - go with the people who have well-established credentials.

Not true - unless there is some chronic deterioration from other ongoing abnormal causes. For everyone else, once is it. I had my eyes done in London 12 years ago and my vision is as good today as it was the week after the op. The short procedure is at worst slightly uncomfortable but there is no pain and you will be amazed at the difference within hours. Like everyone else I know who has had the procedure, the only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. In my case, I still had to use specs for reading very small print in a dim light - but I use the same strength reading specs today as I did after the op and before (when I had gas-permeable contacts).

I do agree that it's an area where you shouldn't be looking for cut-price bargains - go with the people who have well-established credentials.

Im glad it worked for you, not being sure of the OP eye condition,i replied in the worst case scenario,youve had it done and still need glasses for reading?? thats not value for money to me!!!

I too had my eyes done at Cavendish Square about 12 years ago. Best three grand I've ever spent.

Recently had Lasik with TRSC International LASIK Center (around 2 months ago).

I found them to be professional, kind, and went beyond the call of duty to put me at ease.

As for post surgery, i do have a bit of night vision issues regarding starbursts ..but had this prior to the surgery, so i guess i cannot complain too much. I also have some days where my eyes reallllly hurt. The other problem is dry eyes..but this is improving slowely. I have been told that it can take up to six months for sight to adjust to its final state, including the problems mentioned. Any problems that remain after the six month period are permanant.

I have no regrets going with TRSC. Even with the slight problems I have, the freedom from my contacts and glasses are amazing.

(funny thing is I still wake up some mornings and do the reaching out hand thing, searching for my glasses. Seems so ingrained in me after so many years of wearing them that its an automatic response. :o )

LASIK

I am about 55 yrs old, I am tired of wearing bifocal glasses all the time specially while playing golf and I am sweating so it becomes a pain wiping out the sweat from glasses all the time. I am thinking whether LASIK is a good idea ? I hear I do not have to wear the glasses all the time if I correct the distant vision.

I have heard of two hospitals in BKK Thailand ; RUTIN Eye Hospital and TRSC International LASIK Center, can somebody who has done it let me know which is the best place and probable cost ?

Salim

Dhaka

Is there anybody with LASIK done at Rutin Eye Hospital BKK ?

Salim

Dhaka

Edited by salim9370

LASIK

Salim

Dhaka

Do some careful research - LASIK is not a perfect technique and many people do have problems with it. Do a search on Google for lasik and disaster etc.

Another type of solution is micro-surgery - the one where they cut the white of the eye 8 times using the laser (which means the actual top of your eye is not sliced off!).

:o

To eek, for the first two months after my surgery, I would reach up and try to take the glasses off my face before sleeping, even though they are not there.

Tonight, I felt like my vision was blury and reached up to take off the glasses and clean them. And I even wore contacts at least half the time before.

LASIK

Salim

Dhaka

Do some careful research - LASIK is not a perfect technique and many people do have problems with it. Do a search on Google for lasik and disaster etc.

Another type of solution is micro-surgery - the one where they cut the white of the eye 8 times using the laser (which means the actual top of your eye is not sliced off!).

TRUE

1) If you have alergies and rub your eyes you may tear off your cornes. Or if you ride bies and get dust, etc. in your eyes.

2) Your short distance vision WILL get worse. Mine did, just asthey warned me.

3) I have lots of black floaties which are quite visible when I look up at the sky or at a white surface. It is said to be burned chunks of iris floating in that gel in my eyes.

That said, my distant vision is fine and I need no glasses for that. I need to get new ones for near vision very soon, however. My night vision stabilized after a month but was like an acid trip for the first week or so.

Lasik and Lasek are different, also.

LASIK

Salim

Dhaka

Is there anybody with LASIK done at Rutin Eye Hospital BKK ?

Salim

Dhaka

I know a few who have... they say they have 100% happy with it. That said, I also know of one case where one eye is perfect and the other is not... and has had to go back for 7-8 more surgeries on the one eye. Obviously they won't be able to fix it but they aren't owning up to it. How many surgeries can your eyeball take? As an aside, the top doctor at Rutnin as well as his son (also a doctor there) BOTH wear glasses and have clearly opted to not have LASIK done.

Im glad it worked for you, not being sure of the OP eye condition,i replied in the worst case scenario,youve had it done and still need glasses for reading?? thats not value for money to me!!!

Not uncommon for those 45+ - as I said only for "reading very small print in a dim light". A pair of reading glasses cost me about 120 baht from any mall - feels like good value for the odd occasions I need them. Meanwhile, I have 20-20 vision for everything else. Up to you.............

Interesting to read the "Supersight" link - those options weren't available when I had my eyes done.............

Edited by Steve2UK

I had LASIK at TRSC with Dr. Ekatet 10 years ago and am VERY happy with the results. Went from legally blind without glasses to 20/20 in one eye, 20/30 in the other, 20/25 combined. By having one eye undercorrected I can read most things without reading glasses as well as see far away.

Nowadays TRSC does the newer procedures too, check out their website (but keep in mind that individual eye differences may affect what is best for you; this they will tell you during consultation).

LASIK corrects the shape of the cornea to achieve a permanent reduction in near and far-sightedness. At consultation they will tell you what percent chance you have of getting 20/20 or other vision.

LASIK does not do anything about the decreased accomodation in the eye which occurs with aging and is the reason why people as they get older often need reading glasses. (This is different from the far-sightedness some people have from an early age.) However if you are near-sighted and you opt to do the 2 eyes separately aiming for "monovision" (one eye at 20/20 or as close to it as possible, the other undercorrected) this will help minimize the need for reading glasses.

I've 54, had it done at about age 44, didn't need reading glasses at all afterwards and now, 10 years later, just starting to need them for very small print (maps etc) only, can still read books and newspaper without them.

TRSC is not the least expensive place but it is the best place in terms of expertise and quality, and I don't recommend looking for bargains on elective eye surgery.

I had LASIK done at Rutnin Gimbel Lasik Center about a year after moving here, so almost 2 years ago as of now.

I cannot speak highly enough of the staff, the doctors, and the treatment. Granted I am only 48; but have been nearsighted (for those somewhere other than the US; that means I couldn't see FAR), my entire life, and worn glasses since the first grade.

The initial consultation and testing was done professionally. The choices explained, the techniques available and the expected outcome all carefully gone over in flawless english not that b/s thi-engrish you get everywhere here.

Understanding most everybody will need reading glasses as they age is critical. It is the eye losing its elasticity to bend the lens for focusing on near things and is normal part of the aging process. They do have a treatment for older people to read w/out glasses, but predominantly LASIK is for correcting distance vision (meaning not for correcting reading vision).

In the package I selected, I had the correction done to both eyes, had follow-ups with the doctor at 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and at 1 year. Also should the need have arose they offered free surgical corrections to my vision during that one year time frame as well.

I have had my eyes tested at many eye clinics around Krung Thep and they test out at 20/15 for each eye. (Meaning I see at 20 feet what most people can clearly see at 15 or I have better than 20/20 vision).

While I didn't much care for the smell of burning flesh as the laser tweaked my corneas, it was a mild thing to put up with to have this great of vision.

I followed their post op care plan exactly and have NO haloing around streetlights, with headlights of oncoming traffic, or when driving in the rain. My eyes are not excessively dry, and it is refreshing to wake up in the morning with clear vision rather than reaching for glasses. The surgery was comfortable, pain free and the follow up care was excellent.

Different thicknesses of cornea require different surgical techniques. I could have had the choice of several. They said the more expensive one, where a laser cuts the cornea flap as opposed to a surgical blade guided by computer cutting it would not have resulted in any better vision. In other words they sold me the cheaper of the procedures.

I can't recommend Rutnin enough. BTW, I was NOT price shopping by any means, but still ended up with paying less than a quarter of what a friend in the US paid just last week.

As an aside, Dr. Uthai Rutnin was the person who made the first detailed drawings of the retina when he was at Harvard. That is the eye drawing you see in every eye doctor's clinic the world over. If you look at the bottom of the drawing you'll see it’s his.

As to the nay-sayer’s out there; ANY surgical technique can and does carry risks, from cutting your toe-nails to open heart surgery. Each person has to rate their internal paranoia level and reach their own decisions. The internet is a wonderful place, but unsubstantiated horror stories abound which have dubious merit. As with everything in life; each person has to weigh their perceived benefits over the risks.

ขอให้โชคดี

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
I have finally come around to the idea of correcting my short sightedness. But I only have two eyes so can someone recommend the best place to get this done. Bangkok would be the venue of choice.

I did it two years ago in TRSC. They claim to be the biggest Lasik Center in Asia and everything is managed at a very professional level. I was very happy with the result.

"Refractive Lens Exchange is another non-laser, internal eye procedure. RLE is much like cataract surgery. But instead of removing the eye's natural lens that has grown cloudy due to cataract formation, RLE involves removing a clear natural lens and replacing it with an artificial lens of a different shape, usually to reduce or eliminate high degrees of farsightedness. RLE also might be considered as an option for correcting other types of vision problems, such as nearsightedness. But RLE has a higher risk of complications, compared with other vision correction procedures. For these reasons, RLE typically is used only in cases of severe vision correction needs."

Extract taken from allaboutvision.com.

LASIK

Salim

Dhaka

i am 50 years old and wore glasses and/or contact lenses for 20 years

i had mine done in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital five years ago

it was 30,000 baht for both eyes

i have been delighted with the surgeon, the hospital, the aftercare and most important, the results.

my vision has faded a bit from the 20/16 i had within days of the operation but i do not wear glasses now nor do i feel the need to

maybe i was lucky but i did go back two years ago and asked about when they thought a re-do might be neccesary and they said save your money you do not need it now and my vision was and is still great.

judge that as you will

i hope that helps someone

2 similiar threads have been merged and duplicate posts deleted.

For what it's worth, I had LASIK at TRSC about 10 years ago, was and remain very, very happy with results.

They are more expensive than many other places, and certainkly not the only place that can safekly do the procedure, but they do IMO have the most expertise. They are also very good about explaining the procedure and providing accurate (no hype) individualized estimates of the likely benefit, which does vary with the individual. Some people can get 20/20, some can't.

When I had mine done I opted to do 1 eye at a tiome. cost a small amount more but (1) made me less anxious knowing I was risking only 1 eye and (2) made it possible for the surgeon to fine tune and provide me with excellent "mono-vision" but leaving one eye undercorrected thus avoiding (at least tghus far) need for reading glasses.

• 1 year later...

Salim

Dhaka

i am 50 years old and wore glasses and/or contact lenses for 20 years

i had mine done in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital five years ago

it was 30,000 baht for both eyes

i have been delighted with the surgeon, the hospital, the aftercare and most important, the results.

my vision has faded a bit from the 20/16 i had within days of the operation but i do not wear glasses now nor do i feel the need to

maybe i was lucky but i did go back two years ago and asked about when they thought a re-do might be neccesary and they said save your money you do not need it now and my vision was and is still great.

judge that as you will

i hope that helps someone

and now 39,990bt. >>> http://www.pattayalasik.com/index.php?lay=...mp;Id=538869505 got mine done last month, no probs whatsoever... :)