Coronavirus: Donald Trump’s excuse for scale of US outbreak makes no sense

Meat Pie 47

The United States is not a simple problem when it comes to handling a pandemic. First, let's admit that we were not prepared, and we should have been more prepared. No question. But the US is 50 states that have their own governments, along with the Federal government, which does not have absolute power. So, personally, I would not want to be the one dealing with this pandemic, as it is a very difficult problem.

But, let's look at a couple of charts.

First, the confirmed infections:

11807724_ScreenShot2020-07-12at1_33_14AM.thumb.png.3cfd2e600b9293dd56ee16effd40705c.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/united-states?country=~USA

Admittedly, that is a chart that is taking off.

Now let's look at the deaths:

214370968_ScreenShot2020-07-12at1_32_26AM.thumb.png.98514bff810907e78658b043ffa1ac11.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/united-states?country=~USA

That is a chart that is subsiding, in complete contrast to the infections in the above chart.

The US has reported approximately 133,000 COVID-19 deaths. Okay, that is not "just a little Flu", as the OP states. But, influenza is not trivial in it's own right:

1145931592_ScreenShot2020-07-12at1_34_01AM.png.b85c6415d95ab3b83192cbc8164139c9.png

So, surely, COVID-19 is not "just a little Flu", but at the same time, it is not an order of magnitude worse that the flu. And it does appear that we may be through the worst of it.

Anyone who has lived in the US, understands why this pandemic has no "White House solution". I would like to know what Fauci would do with the "power of the president". I would love to see what Sleepy Joe would be doing differently, were he in office. I would really like to see Obama's policies in this environment.

Despite the attacks on his office, and his own inability to keep his mouth shut and rein in his narcissism, Trump was quick to stop flights from China, despite the WHO insisting that was unnecessary and ill-advised, invoked the Defense Production Act (albeit a bit late), and signed the CARES act. He has not been a complete idiot.

My real disappointment with Trump is his lack of diplomatic leadership. He does not understand the real power of the president. The power of standing with the people, setting an example for the people, and supporting the governors of each State in the trenches. Instead he is doing none of this. This is a very disappointing aspect of Trump as president.

What does separate Trump from his predecessors, and certainly the possibility of Sleepy Joe, is his stance on China. He is the first president in over 40 years who seems to grasp the threat that the CCP poses to the world, and he has been the only president willing to actually stand up to the CCP. And if there is any president who will take this pandemic to heart, and insist the CCP is held accountable, I believe it is Trump. With all of his shortcomings, and there are many, this one aspect of the Trump administration is indisputable.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

60.000 infections a day and Trump and supporters still think it is just a little Flu

"little flu" can't infect many people? Of course it can. The only difference is that little flu is not tested for, so the numbers won't match covid-19 infections.

For the record, I also think it's a little flu that has been blown far out of proportion.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

"little flu" can't infect many people? Of course it can. The only difference is that little flu is not tested for, so the numbers won't match covid-19 infections.

For the record, I also think it's a little flu that has been blown far out of proportion.

Yes Donald

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Yes Donald

I'm sure the little flu infects even more people every year, but they are not tested. If you need to make a point, then try to make one that makes sense instead of using it as a poor excuse for another Donald-bashing.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Haha 1

Just now, JensenZ said:

I'm sure the little flue infects even more people every year, but they are not tested. If you need to make a point, then try to make one that makes sense.

is there any point making sense to republican they don't understand what the word means

1 minute ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

is there any point making sense to republican they don't understand what the word means

Try making some sense first. You didn't make this thread for any other reason than an excuse for a Trump-bashing. It's old, it's boring - give it a miss. 

(Just in case you feel the need to accuse me of being a Republican, let me help you out - I'm Australian and that meat pie is making me very hungry LOL)

7 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Try making some sense first. You didn't make this thread for any other reason than an excuse for a Trump-bashing. It's old, it's boring - give it a miss. 

(Just in case you feel the need to accuse me of being a Republican, let me help you out - I'm Australian and that meat pie is making me very hungry LOL)

You not Australian you might be an American living in this beautiful country

and yes I am Australian since 50 years. So stop trolling

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Research so far indicates that COVID-19 spreads more easily and has a higher death rate than the flu.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

does that satisfy you ?

16 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Research so far indicates that COVID-19 spreads more easily and has a higher death rate than the flu.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

does that satisfy you ?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

According to the CDC, the USA lost 302 patients to Covid in the week ending July 4.  Typically, the flu kills about 100 people a day in the USA. 

Deaths by Covid have dropped like a rock since the peak in the week ending April 18.  Looks like there's been a 98% reduction in weekly fatalities, from 16,888 in April to 302 in July.  Seems like a good time to let people go back to making a living and enjoying life. (Of course, if you want to stay holed up at home, please feel free)

One interesting thing about the fatality graph in post #2 is that the deaths decline 2 days out of every week.  As if Covid takes weekends off.  What's that all about?  I can understand why new cases may go down because fewer tests are done on weekends, but deaths?

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

You are attempting make an argument based on sense and logic.  What you are up against (according to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary) is:

faith
n    noun
1    complete trust or confidence.
2    strong belief in a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof. A particular religion.

How it has gotten to where this charlatan has such an effect on so many will be an often-used topic for behavioral studies theses for many decades to come.  The acceptance of his "believe what I say, not what you see" message continues to astound.

3 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

60.000 infections a day and Trump and supporters still think it is just a little Flu

It's just the flu with some modifications but performs exactly the same as influenza. 

Still not seeing the bodies piling high in the UK.  Nightingale Hospital shut down after treating next to no one.  I was sold a nightmare scenario by the UK MSM four months ago and it's not materialised.  

The economy is screwed, nonetheless.  

• Like 1