Hat Yai Airport - 'New Normal'

Stocky

Flew up to Bangkok with Thai Smile for a long weekend.

Hat Yai airport outbound, beyond temperature checks, compulsory masks, and socially spaced seating, isn't that much different than before. Thai Smile is flying a couple fewer flights, and I'd guess the other airlines are doing likewise. New addition is VietJet now flying Hat Yai to Bangkok Survarnabumi.  Arriving in Bangkok strange seeing all the Thai Airways fleet mothballed and parked up anywhere they can, airport is quiet but everything is functioning. From touchdown, collecting my bag, to arriving by taxi at my hotel in central Bangkok was all done in 60 minutes.

Flying back today, check-in at Survarnabhumi was normal, there was some AOT app needed to scan a QR code before heading through ID check, I hadn't realised used my Thaichana app and got an error message, however the AOT flunky just waved me through, so mime is sufficient. Arriving in Hat Yai was a different story, you either complete a questionnaire to be handed in before being allowed to exit the baggage hall, or scan the QR code and complete the online questionnaire, this gives you a QR code to show to exit the baggage hall. It's just name, ID/Passport number, address and telephone number, easy enough to do, all quickly done.

In March I went to the local municipal hospital for some medication and I was sh1 ttting myself.

I wore those crime scene gloves, a mask , glasses and a hat, was in and out as quickly as possible.

Does anyone now feel at risk when they go out and about?

I have to say I don't.

Edited by OneeyedJohn

1 minute ago, OneeyedJohn said:

crime scene gloves, a mask , glasses and a hat

I had a dental appointment a couple of weeks back at the Bangkok Hospital dental clinic in Hat Yai, the dentist and assistant were dressed up like they were about to perform open heart surgery on an Ebola patient I almost laughed, it was just a much delayed check up, scale & polish.

4 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Does anyone now feel at risk when they go out and about?

I don't now, early on yes, but happy to use the Thaichana app, wear my mask and was my hands.

"Does anyone now feel at risk when they go out and about"?

I was feeling fine about going here and there but lately a little wary, probably due to the recent spikes around the globe and the news this morning of people arriving and not being quarantined.

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2020 at 12:29 PM, ThaiCelt said:

"Does anyone now feel at risk when they go out and about"?

I was feeling fine about going here and there but lately a little wary, probably due to the recent spikes around the globe and the news this morning of people arriving and not being quarantined.

Not at all. I teach at a school of over 4000 students and 250 teachers and staff and you can bet that, in spite of the lightly enforced anti-spread measures, if one person gets infected the virus will soon spread throughout the school. 

I'm just doing my job and if I catch Covid anywhere, then Alhamdulilah, it's God's will. So be it. I'm not afraid to die. 

Another good report from Stocky.

I quit my job at a government school using Covid as the excuse, but in actuality it was just out of frustration with the bureaucracy and lack of results from the students due to the large class size...fortunately I don't need to rely on the income therefrom...

I went to Songkhla Town (Education Office, Labor Dept) and Hat Yai (Immigration) on Friday, July 16. Other foreigners might want to take note that the immigration office was almost empty, with visitors not even allowed to enter and many of their staff 'working at home'. I was able to do my 90-day report, but they wouldn't allow me to apply for my 1-year extension of stay. To do anything complicated like that, you now have to make an appointment in advance, since many of the staffers are 'working from home'. My appointment is on July 22, so that means there is about a five-day wait...so don't wait till the last minute in dealing with them (always good advice, but more so than ever these days).

I did manage to get a massage at the Siriwech Massage shop down in the New Market area, and I have never felt more welcomed into a room in my entire life...There was this tangible vibe of 'thank God! A customer!' among the masseuses when I entered, and it was a really unique feeling that I had never experienced before.

I went to the nearby Jack Shop to stock up on duty-free booze, but the supply lines are still disrupted and pickings were thin: no Guinness, Waltons...they did have Glenfiddich, but at 1600 a bottle I think I'll stick to rice whisky for the time being ... They still have some Vodka, Martini and Rossi, etc. I noticed they were selling lots of cigarettes, though I have no interest in  that.

The only other takeaway was that I noticed that  a lot of businesses were closed down, up for sale or rent. One thing has yet to change, however: parking is still an unmitigated nightmare. I did get lucky in the end, however. (see photo)

Hat Yai Parking.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phuketsub said:

The only other takeaway was that I noticed that  a lot of businesses were closed down, up for sale or rent. One thing has yet to change, however: parking is still an unmitigated nightmare.

Yes, there are lots of for rental signs. No doubt these lots will all get taken up again with new ventures once the border opens and Hat Yai sees Malaysian tourists return.

Re parking, it was especially bad a few weeks back as the car park opposite Robinson was closed, seems they hadn't paid their rent so the owner blocked it off until they did. It's back to normal now but it was pretty chaotic down there for a while.

Went to the Basil for dinner last night and was mighty disappointed, that's now off my restaurant list. Service was always haphazard but the food made it worth it, service is now Fawlty Towers worthy and the food quality has dropped significantly; the menu promises so much but really fails to deliver - a pity.

• 2 weeks later...