The Long Run: Concerns raised as Phuket welfare payments stop, unemployment hits highest on record

webfact

The Long Run: Concerns raised as Phuket welfare payments stop, unemployment hits highest on record

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1594778885_1-org.jpg

A man scours the job vacancies board at the Phuket Provincial Employment Office yesterday (July 14). Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Grave concerns have been raised for the welfare of people across the island left jobless by the COVID-19 pandemic, with fears that crime and suicide rates will rise as people struggle to get by.

Phuket Provincial Employment Office Chief Santi Nantasuwan confirmed to The Phuket News yesterday (July 14) that the unemployment rate on the island is the highest on record, with just 276 job vacancies registered with the government agency, compared with 6,316 people registered with the office as unemployed.

“This is the worst time for the people of Phuket, there are not enough jobs available for the number of people seeking work,” Chief Santi said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/the-long-run- concerns-raised-as-phuket-welfare-payments-stop-unemployment-hits-highest-on-record-76688.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-07-15

Now is not the time to be fussy about what job you do , if there is something there you can do then apply and can always get another in your preferred skill if things ever get back to normal . 

Edited by keith101

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Grave concerns have been raised for the welfare of people across the island left jobless by the COVID-19 pandemic

For some reason I had missed seeing the queues of people waiting for free handouts, and thought they might have finished, however yesterday I saw one of the longest queues I have ever seen, so it brought it home to me very strongly that this suffering is going to go on for some time.

Add to that the amount of Thais I have spoken to, and they all say that they don't have any money, and although I have given money out to several Thai folk, and I do feel sorry for them, there's nothing much I can do to help with their financial plight, so the government should step in with more help I believe.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unfortunately, it is not just Phuket suffering, and it is a nationwide problem.

Suicide rates seem to have increased immensely, and now the measly government handouts appear to be finished, things can only get worse. 

Suicide rates increased immensely, could you tell me where you got your data from. A bar stool ? or do you have some actual data ? Just curious as I love to see some numbers. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Now is not the time to be fussy about what job you do , if there is something there you can do then apply and can always get another in your preferred skill if things ever get back to normal . 

There is nothing to do... that's the problem, it's not about being fussy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Fuzzy math. 6k registered as unemployed? Where, Chalong only?

I would presume those are the people on SSO, so getting SSO payment. All the self employed or people who otherwise don't get anything if unemployed won't be registered.