Amnesty question

15 minutes ago, Scoobydoo1 said:

To keep this brief, I am on a non-O Multiple-entry visa, married to a Thai. I've always done the multiple entry ones as opposed to doing the extensions at immigration, as I find it a lot more pleasurable getting away to Cambodia or Laos for a long weekend than spending a day at the immigration office.

Anyway, my stamp expired late April, where I would have ordinarily have left and come back to activate another 3 months but with COVID and borders closing that of course was not possible. Coincidentally, the visa itself expires on the exact same day the amnesty does, which is July 31st. I know if I can do a border hop before then I'll get another 3 months on arrival but unfortunately that doesn't look like it'll be possible.

So...does anyone know if immigration will extend my Multiple Entry visa beyond July 31st...I doubt it but worth asking I suppose...that is if they don't extend the amnesty and I have my doubts that they will.

Cheers in advance.

Wouldn't it have been advisable to have done an extension based on marriage just to guarantee having the security of a year's permission to stay, knowing that any lockdown was likely to be well and truly over by the time the extension was finished.

Could you not still get a 60 'visiting family' extension now? That would allow some time for the borders to possibly open and allow you to get a new non O, or get a twelve month extension based on marriage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, john terry1001 said:

Wouldn't it have been advisable to have done an extension based on marriage just to guarantee having the security of a year's permission to stay, knowing that any lockdown was likely to be well and truly over by the time the extension was finished.

Could you not still get a 60 'visiting family' extension now? That would allow some time for the borders to possibly open and allow you to get a new non O, or get a twelve month extension based on marriage.

Yes looks like I'll be off to immigration in the next few days, will wait until they announce whether they're going to extend first, I've been told it should be a week or so before the 31st. Does the Thai missus have to accompany me to immigration?

• Like 1

Does my Thai wife need to go to immigration with me for the first 60 day extension?

I've never asked for an extension of stay in the 18 years we have been married since my work has always had me traveling in and out of Thailand with only an occasional 90 day border run needed. My last 5 ME visas were issued in Savannahket.

I live in BKK for employment reasons and she lives in Phuket to care for her elderly mother. Which immigration office should we go to?

I did make an approx. B60,000 deposit last week to my personal Thai bank account opened in 2013 which is slightly more than my monthly SSA deposit (have other income) and plan to follow up with same every month.

My last 1 yr me marriage visa expired last week on 8 July.

I'm frankly at a loss here as to what to do, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AoChalong said:

Does my Thai wife need to go to immigration with me for the first 60 day extension?

She has to be with your for every 60 day extension application.

9 minutes ago, AoChalong said:

I live in BKK for employment reasons and she lives in Phuket to care for her elderly mother. Which immigration office should we go to?

Either one if you have never registered your address to either of them.

You may need proof of residence wherever you apply. They want proof you are living within their designated area.

12 minutes ago, AoChalong said:

I did make an approx. B60,000 deposit last week to my personal Thai bank account opened in 2013 which is slightly more than my monthly SSA deposit (have other income) and plan to follow up with same every month.

If you want to apply for a one year extension you should start doing monthly transfers of your SSA payments if they are equal to 40k baht or more. The you could use your SSA-1099 for proof of the source of your income if needed.

• Like 2

I think my landlord registered all of the tenants including me when the TM30 uproar began last year. My wife on the other hand owns her house in Phuket.

Is immigration going to insist that we both live in the same residence because that won't make either one of us happy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AoChalong said:

My wife on the other hand owns her house in Phuket.

She may have to a TM30 report for you if you apply for the extension there.

No problem in Bangkok since your have already been reported.

21 minutes ago, AoChalong said:

Is immigration going to insist that we both live in the same residence because that won't make either one of us happy.

You do not have to live together full time if your have a reason for not doing it.

When applying for the one year extension you both will need to be present if they do a home visit. You will have to decide  where you want to apply for it. Since your wife has a house book for where she is living then it would be best to do it in Phuket. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

She may have to a TM30 report for you if you apply for the extension there.

No problem in Bangkok since your have already been reported. 

You do not have to live together full time if your have a reason for not doing it.

When applying for the one year extension you both will need to be present if they do a home visit. You will have to decide  where you want to apply for it. Since your wife has a house book for where she is living then it would be best to do it in Phuket. 

As well as both you and your wife, if/when you have a home visit from immigration, you will also need to have (2) witnesses present who will be asked if you both live at that address.

Wife called Chachoengsao immigration about my situation:

-Marriage visa valid til Dec 2020

-60d extension used

-Now on amnesty.

She asked for another 60d extension or other options.

They couldn't advice how to proceed, because they too are waiting for instructions for the government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only do one 60 day extension per entry to the country.

If the amnesty is not extended you may be able to get a 30 day special extension with a letter from your embassy.

I think the amnesty will be extended for 30 days but they may say it is the last one to give people time to leave or make arrangements for some kind of extension.

and I assume no 1 yr extension on amnesty either? Not a fun situation exactly.

16 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

and I assume no 1 yr extension on amnesty either? Not a fun situation exactly.

If you entered using a non-o visa dependent upon the office you have to use they could do the one year extension.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your visas expiration date means nothing when you are already in the country. It is only the last day you can use it to enter the country and get a 90 day entry.

Your permit to stay in the country that ended in April is the only thing that matters now.

If the amnesty is not extended you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife on or before the 31st.

But What if I went to the immigration in April and was offered/sold a 60 day extension without being informed that I could have only one?

41 minutes ago, Varrius said:

But What if I went to the immigration in April and was offered/sold a 60 day extension without being informed that I could have only one?

It is in the clause of the immigration order for them it is only one per entry.

Not much that can be done about it now.

10 hours ago, Scoobydoo1 said:

Yes looks like I'll be off to immigration in the next few days, will wait until they announce whether they're going to extend first, I've been told it should be a week or so before the 31st. Does the Thai missus have to accompany me to immigration?

At a calculated guess it looks like no extension...... Chiang Mai immigration is turning on their second office to deal with the overload from the 23rd July. So maybe the announcement will happen on the 22nd July. 

C413E7C8-4478-4E4D-A46E-27069F04C8AA.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

At a calculated guess it looks like no extension...... Chiang Mai immigration is turning on their second office to deal with the overload from the 23rd July. So maybe the announcement will happen on the 22nd July. 

I think it means nothing  other than the need for more space than they have at the main office.

How many of the things they are doing is related to the amnesty?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think it means nothing  other than the need for more space than they have at the main office.

How many of the things they are doing is related to the amnesty?

That may be. Though the second office was opened to handle the Covid overload, but was shut after the amnesty started. All will be known come July 31st atleast.

10 hours ago, trucking said:

If you are married you can apply for 1 ( and 1 only ) 60 day extension to visit your wife.

And some immi offices will ask for a Kor Ror 2. This is a document that says you are still married. Only a Thai person can ask for it at the Amphur. Costs 10 baht

1 hour ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

That may be. Though the second office was opened to handle the Covid overload, but was shut after the amnesty started. All will be known come July 31st atleast.

Looks like something will be known by the 23rd or so - and possibly will be "a pay for an extension" system - which is fine with me.  All we need to know now, are the qualifications for them, and how long of an extension per case-type.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

This doesn't necessarily suggest no further amnesty extension. It would suggest that a visit to immigration will be necessary to pickup any new amnesty type extension. 

14 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

And some immi offices will ask for a Kor Ror 2. This is a document that says you are still married. Only a Thai person can ask for it at the Amphur. Costs 10 baht

And I wonder what you have to do to prove you're still married?

13 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Looks like something will be known by the 23rd or so - and possibly will be "a pay for an extension" system - which is fine with me. 

So we'll be held to ransom. As things stand it's almost impossible to leave/return so most have no choice but to remain. But to do that we have to pay. And those who don't, perhaps because they are unaware, will be liable to arrest and deportation? You think so?

48 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Having a recently printed out Kor Ror 2 from an Amphoes proves that. If you were divorced you would not be able to get one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You don't have to prove anything. The Amphur will confirm on the Kor Ror 2 that you are legally married and haven't been divorced. That's it.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So we'll be held to ransom. As things stand it's almost impossible to leave/return so most have no choice but to remain. But to do that we have to pay. And those who don't, perhaps because they are unaware, will be liable to arrest and deportation? You think so?

Why would you be held to ransom? Surely, like most of us who are married, have a twelve month marriage extension to confirm our permission to stay in Thailand. Other than not having to complete a 90 day report at the moment, nothing at all has changed for us, we still renew our marriage extension as required in the normal way and still just pay the same 1900 baht each year. The current amnesty is irrelevant to our situation.

The only people who might be worried are the clever(?) ones who, despite being married, have chosen to remain long term in Thailand using a visa system designed for tourists. I wonder how many now regret the path they chose and with they had chosen the extension route instead? 

I realise there is a minority who will say they can't get a marriage extension (Jack Thomson will post on here shortly) but for most they have a choice and chose the tourist option. 

• Like 2