Thai/English child moving to Thailand

Good afternoon.

Can anyone help me please.

My daughter age 12 will be moving to Thailand once Coronavirus restrictions are lifted.

Having looked at her Thai passport it ran out January 2013 but I was under the impression as dual nationality (her UK passport is still in dare and valid) she would still be able to enter Thailand on a Thai passport even if it has expired.

She will also have her Thai birth certificate in case of any difficulty.

Can anyone please confirm if this is correct?

Thank you.....Clive

Definitely try to get her Thai passport renewed.  If she doesn't and enters Thailand on her UK passport, she will be treated like any other foreigner and have to get a visa, do 90 day reports, etc., ad infinitum.

Possible alternative would be to come here, get tourist visa, go to the Amphur and renew Thai passport, and then immediately fly out to near by country (cancelling her UK passport visa) and then return on her Thai passport.  This should be possible within 90 days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, noise said:

Definitely try to get her Thai passport renewed.  If she doesn't and enters Thailand on her UK passport, she will be treated like any other foreigner and have to get a visa, do 90 day reports, etc., ad infinitum.

Possible alternative would be to come here, get tourist visa, go to the Amphur and renew Thai passport, and then immediately fly out to near by country (cancelling her UK passport visa) and then return on her Thai passport.  This should be possible within 90 days.

Why? She can just enter on the expired Thai passport with no issues. She can then get a new Thai passport in the country.

If she can enter on expired passport, best of all possible worlds.  That is something I did not know.  Good to learn new stuff... and that is something I definitely will remember.   Thanks, ThailandRyan

36 minutes ago, noise said:

Nonsense, even a 30 day visa exempt entry would allow her time to get a new passport.

Academic anyway as she can arrive on the expired Thai passport.

The only issue is booking/boarding in the UK where I presume she will have a British passport.

46 minutes ago, noise said:

If she can enter on expired passport, best of all possible worlds.  That is something I did not know.  Good to learn new stuff... and that is something I definitely will remember.   Thanks, ThailandRyan

Welcome, my ex-wife and daughter had to do that this year when they flew in from the USA as there passports for Thailand expired last year.  While they were here they visited the PP office in Udon Thani and within a week the new passport was delivered to them.  They then flew back out after three funerals in March before the lockdown occurred and re-entered the US on their US passports.  Just the New Thai passport was used to exit the country, as well as showing them the US PP to prove they had the right to enter the US.  Dual citizenship the ex obtained during the marriage and the daughter being Thai/American.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1