Anti-drunk Driving Crusader Injured By Drunk Driver

george

Anti-drunk driving crusader injured by drunk driver

SARABURI: -- A well-known anti-drunk driving crusader was injured when his car was crashed into by a speeding car driven by a drunk driver, police said.

Doctor Thaejing Siriphanit and his wife, Phattharawadee Siriphanit, were injured in the accident in Saraburi's Muang district at 7:30 pm on Sunday.

Thaejing is the secretary-general of the Anti-Drunk Driving Foundation.

Thaejing told police that he was about to make a turn into his hosing estate and another car crashed into his car's rear. The impact caused his car to turn around.

Police said the second car was driven by Non Pongsawang, 33, who appeared drunk.

Thaejing and his wife were admitted to the Saraburi Provincial Hospital.

-- The Nation 2007-04-23

There is a difference between appearing drunk and being drunk! I hope they determine the difference. I was once in an accident and accused of being drunk. I wasn't. I sustained a blow to the head, when the seat belt failed to hold and I was disoriented. I got to choose my fine though--I could be fined 400 baht for driving drunk or 400 baht for not having a set belt on (I did). It didn't matter though as the police officer just put the money in his pocket.

I didn't want to argue either way as I didn't have a valid driver's license at the time!