mac issues...

1FinickyOne

8-9 yr old 27" desktop model

1. Took it into the shop, needed a graphics card and it came back with a noisy fan... running constantly... I checked youtube and downloaded something that was of no help...

2. my niece borrowed my computer and now whenever I turn it on, "word" opens too... even if I quit word, it still opens new each time. 

Since the computer is old and seems to be running slow and whirling disk sometimes, and I now have a smart tv for movies etc.. I am thinking of getting a laptop as a back-up... and convenience... is there a reliable inexpensive model or should I get a mac? which will be more pricey... 

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by kenk24

Windows and Apple are different. I am sure you are aware of this.

If you are used to one system and not the other then it's probably a good idea that you stay with what you know.

If you want a Windows notebook I an highly recommend Lenovo ThinkPad, new or 2nd hand. They are normally very good quality in many ways.

But first of all maybe let a Mac expert look at your current Mac. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix your issues. Unfortunately some shops only want to sell something to make money even if you don't need it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John435 said:

Your iMac has done you well. It has a spinning disk so you will notice a big performance jump with any Mac laptop. The new MacBook Air is great but I would get the 16gb model if possible. 

I do not download much or have a lot of photos.. etc... so, I never use much storage, or is the 16gb for speed? 

I do shut down though not every day, we get power blips and brief outages that will shut it down - and I assume that is not good... like during lightning storms?? 

Thanks for your help. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well in the modern world of streaming unless you download you dont need a pc, concider a tablet, both high end Samsung and Apple come with a pretty good keyboard pricey sure but you can slip off the keybord and take it anywhere with you easily.

I have an 8 year old Imac slowish to start up works fine, id suggest take it to an Apple store these id think you could easily get another 3 to 4 ys out of it....