Solar power and water heating

Pferdlkrantz

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing a house that will incorporate eco-energy including solar electric and solar water heating.  Has anybody any experience of purchasing, building and installation using Thai firms?  Entering these terms in a search engine is very interesting; you either get companies that show a website but the website's for sale or, as in the case in Pattaya, the claimed address for the company is wasteland - and the blurb seems to indicate they deal with companies rather than private persons.

Any advice would be very welcome

Moved over to the housing and DIY forum for more directed input.

Certainly in our part of Northern BKK there are a number of companies small to large that do solar PV (take a drive around your area), I've not seen solar water on offer although we used to have a neighbour with it and he said it worked very well.

We did our own PV system rather than pay an installer $$$ https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1120934-how-about-a-solar-car-port-on-a-budget/ but do read the caveats on legality of an un-approved grid-tie system, if you want to go off grid or non grid-tie hybrid then there's no issue.

I would also avoid putting it on the house roof if you have space for a car port/garage, installation and maintenance is soo much easier.

I'm also looking at solar and hot water. 

Ive found about 4 companies that will install a 5k grid tie system for around 160k, 

And a DIY kit for 110k, 

But the solar hot water isn't as easy for me to nail down. 

Apart from a really high end company that looks out of my price range, the best place I can find is alibaba. 

I did have solar hot water installed in a house in samui about 9 years ago, so I know they're out there somewhere. 

Finding them, searching in English is a handicap though. 

4 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

???? Already brainstormed similar ideas, but my wife already thinks I'm crazy. 

Don't want to give her any more bullets ????

Mine KNOWS I'm crazy, but she still enjoys the reduced power bills and "free" aircon ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

???? Already brainstormed similar ideas, but my wife already thinks I'm crazy. 

Don't want to give her any more bullets ????

I did read a story (can't remember where) of a guy in Thailand that didn't build anything, but just put a big coil of thick black plastic hose on his car port roof, connected at one end to the water supply, and at the other end to his shower. Claimed the water coming out was too hot.