Thailand’s bogeyman finally finds peace

webfact

Thailand’s bogeyman finally finds peace

By The Nation

800_0691721454fabb8.jpg?v=1595488088

Si Quey, Thailand’s legendary cannibal and serial killer, was finally laid to rest after spending 60 years on display in a Bangkok Museum.

S__72163334.jpg

His mummified body was removed from Siriraj Hospital’s museum to Wat Bang Praek Tai temple in Nonthaburi province on Thursday (July 23) and rites were scheduled to begin at 1pm.

S__72163347.jpg

Si Quey was sentenced to death on September 18, 1959, for allegedly murdering eight-year-old Somboon Boonyakan in Rayong.

He was caught trying to burn the boy’s corpse after allegedly removing his heart and liver.

S__72171527.jpg

He was also accused of killing five other children from different provinces, and his reported confession had the country horrified as he was quoted as saying that he liked the taste of children’s intestines and internal organs.

S__72171525.jpg

In fact, this case gave birth to Thailand’s very own bogeyman, and Thai parents are often heard telling naughty children “don’t… or Si Quey will come and eat you”.

S__72171523.jpg

Last year, however, a group of sympathisers launched a petition to give Si Quey his dignity and a proper funeral. The group also had Siriraj Hospital change the label above Si Quey’s mummified body from “Cannibal” to “Death Row Prisoner”.

Though no relatives have shown up to claim the body, Si Quey was finally able to rest in peace on Thursday.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391804

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-23

• Sad 1

There are some interesting issues here. Si Quey reportedly confessed, but if this is the case he clearly had major mental issues. In an interview quoted in another paper, someone who knew him indicated that he didn't speak Thai. If you think the system is rigged against those who don't speak the language now in terms of being forced to sign papers (confessions) you can't read and not understanding court procedures, what must it have been like in 1958 where police would have been under enormous pressure for a conviction?

Moreover, Siriraj Hospital's display of his preserved corpse over the last 60 years is nothing short of disgusting. They justify it by saying that it was used to teach medical students, but what can students learn from a machine-gunned body sealed in a glass box? Like an old fashioned freak show, it was used as an attraction to lure people into their macabre museum. Guilty or not, may he finally rest in peace.

• Thanks 1

Since I am not Thai, I may misunderstand, but I think Thai Buddhist belief is that if your body is not cremated your soul cannot go on to the next stage after death. That's either rebirth and the following working out of karma, or judgement by Yamabaan, ruler of Hell, and punishment according to his decision. I prefer to think of karma, a natural law, rather than judgement by capricious gods (or demigods, not sure exactly what Yamabaan's actual status is). So, if I understand correctly, keeping his body on display is preventing his spirit (or whatever it is that is reborn) from suffering the punishment he deserves.

• Like 1