A new PC desktop for my home.

OneeyedJohn

9 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

That all sounds good, but won't KVC think I am a little odd not wanting them to put Win10 in for me after doing the CPU and SSD work for me.

No.

I don't want to have to keep repeating the same thing. The way that they will install will impact everything you do on the PC in a negative way. So do it yourself.

It's not unlike someone building your house, but you choosing the colours and decor.  Otherwise you will have to live with someone else's choices.

With the CPU and SSD, there are no variables.

8 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I am beginning to think you are extracting the michael.

Then I leave you simply to obey one who had assured you that unquestionably your computer couldn't be upgraded and then recommended an old proprietary Dell. ???? But an SSD fanatic does at least know how to install Win 10 if nothing else--as does any Thai tech, it's utterly trivial--so I think he can take it from here. Good luck.

Edited by BigStar

10 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

No.

I don't want to have to keep repeating the same thing

Sorry, u know the difference between a computer and Australian........

...............................U only have to punch information into a computer once.

2 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Sorry, u know the difference between a computer and Australian........

...............................U only have to punch information into a computer once.

This forum is one of the worst for getting people to follow good advice. The usually want to install a program that does everything fro them or take it to a shop for the simplest of maintenance.

It's like they absolutely refuse to learn anything. Not everyone mind you, but a very high proportion. 

I think they've grown up on a platform of stolen software and relatively cheap labour costs in Thailand. So often look for the quick fix, instead of actually bothering to understand what they are doing.

I guess that's why you have a Loader activating your Windows 7 Ultimate. A throwback from the old days, but absolutely not necessary and outdated, as you can activate for free without the need for such a crude and not altogether successful hack.

The local places are still using hacks to activate Windows. 

So save yourself the situation wherein your installation of Windows suddenly deactivates itself after six months. 

Just do the job cleanly yourself. Then you know exactly what is on your PC and that it is running optimally to your needs. Takes a few minutes of your time.

• Confused 1

On 7/29/2020 at 2:37 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

OK done, it took 40 minutes on my blazingly fast Sempron 140, soon to become a blazingly fast FX-4300, multiple cores and multiple threads.

Can't wait.

So what do I do with this flash drive?

Did you create Build 2004 or the previous Build 1909?  

One of my machines had some driver issues when upgrading to the new Build 2004.  

18 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Did you create Build 2004 or the previous Build 1909?  

One of my machines had some driver issues when upgrading to the new Build 2004.  

But that can happen with any build - 1909 failed on my Lenovo B310 as video driver did not support installed monitor 1080 resolution - had to clone from old HDD when making upgrade to SSD.  But indeed 2004 is a nightmare and can not upgrade my computer (tried 3 times over last month or two).  At one point they removed and said not ready but then said ready again but my computer says otherwise - just goes to never never land.  

15 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Untitled.png.2518ddb97d8a9e61507a4ef6ea7f9ecf.png

This what I have on my flash drive.

It's fine. You cannot tell from that. But if you download direct from Microsoft, you get the latest. If there are major issues with 2004, I'll supply the previous iteration. Nothing bad can happen.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

But that can happen with any build - 1909 failed on my Lenovo B310 as video driver did not support installed monitor 1080 resolution - had to clone from old HDD when making upgrade to SSD.  But indeed 2004 is a nightmare and can not upgrade my computer (tried 3 times over last month or two).  At one point they removed and said not ready but then said ready again but my computer says otherwise - just goes to never never land.  

Do you have Windows Update KB4557956 installed? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004 is a place to check for reported issues, amongst others.

3 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You upgraded. This is a clean install.

Wrong. 

I did a fresh install on a machine that was upgraded and displaying the "Your device isn't quite ready..................." notification.

Despite lacking the drivers, I gave it a try, and it didn't work, so I had to reinstall Build 1909, search the internet for the drivers needed by Build 2004, install the drivers, then fresh install Build 2004.

OP, do you get the Microsoft notification that your device is not ready in the Windows Update section?  (see example in below link)  If so, it may be easier to fresh install Build 1909, rather than Build 2004. 

This is a random link off the first page of Google, there is a lot of information about Build 2004.  

https://betanews.com/2020/06/02/microsoft-windows-10-may-2020-update-not-quite-ready/

This is the last paragraph.

"In fact, Microsoft warns:

We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved."

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I am talking about Microsoft admitting Build 2004 is not ready for literally millions of devices around the world.  The MS notification stating this is displayed in the Windows Updates section.  If you haven't seen it, see the link in my other post.

there is too much confusing conflicting terminology flying around here, upgrade, cloning, clean install, copy, updates, builds, for goodness sakes it is not helping in anyway.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
spelling

12 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

How can you do a "fresh install" if it indicated what you say it did? A clean install is a clean install. Not an install over an install.

I really don't want to enter into a discussion with you, since you obviously don't know nor understand what we are discussing. 

Let's just leave it at that shall we?

Windows 10 Build 2004 Media Creation Tool made.

USB with the Media Creation Tool inserted and Booted from that.

Drive Formatted. 

Windows 10 Build 2004 installed.

All my programs gone.

What do you call the above process?

15 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Please don't derail the thread . You have missed the point by a mile and your writing more is only making it worse. The thread is under control.

I am not derailing the thread.  

I have provided a random link, but there is a lot of information about this on the internet.

I would advise the OP to upgrade to Windows 10 Build 1909 and wait for Microsoft to have Build 2004 ready for his device, especially as he said it's 8 to 10 years old.  

This thread was very good when it started, and had good info on it, but now I will have to trawl through 15 pages or more to find that info again, just because certain people want to mouth off and show their ignorance.

I already said a few pages back I had made a decision and requested noone second guess my decision and thanked everyone for their input. 

But it seems that all fell on deaf ears.

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

This thread was very good when it started, and had good info on it, but now I will have to trawl through 15 pages or more to find that info again, just because certain people want to mouth off and show their ignorance.

I already said a few pages back I had made a decision and requested noone second guess my decision and thanked everyone for their input. 

But it seems that all fell on deaf ears.

Hover over their names and click on 'ignore user'. It clears up the thread nicely.

If you have another spare USB Flash drive and want to have version 1909 on Standby in the unlikely case there are insurmountable problems with version 2004, we can do that.

Plug in USB Flash drive in to current PC, download and run https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.11/rufus-3.11.exe

Choose to let it check for updates(if you cannot see that option, look to the bottom of the application and you will see four small blue icons. Click on the third from the left). There you can choose to enable updates.

The rest of the guide you can see here: https://www.nextofwindows.com/downloading-windows-10-iso-images-using-rufus

Select 1909 Build 18363.997 and follow the prompts.

So if any serious issues with 2004, you can choose to start again with 1909, first formatting the disk and deleting any partitions created by 2004.

So, only if you are attempting to install 1909 after failing to install 2004, you follow these steps;

04-Cutom-Windows-10-Clean-Install-640x4805-Delete-Existing-Primary-Partition-Win

You must delete all of the partitions on the SSD, not just the one on the pic, until you are left with only un-allocated space.

Then you can proceed with the installation.

This is only as a back up if I'm not around to guide you. Hopefully 2004 will install without issue and you won't need it.

Edited by Eindhoven

On 7/31/2020 at 7:14 PM, Eindhoven said:

If you have another spare USB Flash drive and want to have version 1909 on Standby in the unlikely case there are insurmountable problems with version 2004, we can do that.

That's a good idea.  I wish I had thought of that.  ????