Steps involved with installing a large air con machine?

bbabythai

We purchased an old building and are currently installing new wiring throughout. I disconnected the old air con because I knew its current position was no good and also I wanted someone to clean both it and the compressor before re-installing it. 

As you can see in the pic its at the yellow arrow where I want it installed to. The sparkie has run 3 wires (blue, black and green color wires) in the ceiling and ready to be connected. 

We obviously need to get the gyprock / plaster guy to finish the ceiling. Are these the correct steps?

1. clean the machine and compressor (whilst its not connected to the electric). 

2a. Run the copper pipe and other pipe from the compressor (outside) through the top of the ceiling to the position where the air con machine is to be installed

2b. drill the air con frame into the ceiling ready in the position where the machine will later be attached to

3. gyprock / plaster guy comes and does his job on all the ceilings. get him to put a service (man hole) hole in that area

4. Then the air con tech comes back and installs/ connects it?

Is this correct? 

Or maybe he can do step 4 before 3 if he leaves a gap for 1 sheet of plasterboard/gyprock to be inserted between the top of the machine and the aluminium ceiling frame?

Also the machine itself as per hte photo is really long / big. I thought that it would require 5 wires in total (not just 3). I did ask another techie guy and he wrote back in thai which translated to say   'single phase. 2 lines according to the original line'.    I had a look at the wires attached to the compressor and it only has 3 wires. Does this seem ok?

Please help.

thanks

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

Do you know the BTU rating for the AC?  Unless it is REALLY big and your spark has run 2.5mm2 wires (L,N,E), you should be good to go.

Is that two inside units?  Whatever... it seems you would want to get the air con tech involved at this point to get clear what he will do versus needing your crew to do.  IE: it seems like you are wanting to do things he would normally do for an install and not sure if putting things above the ceiling will be best.

5 hours ago, bbabythai said:

no. it works ok. 

we intend to rent it out. If the tenants want to upgrade then they can do it. 

You're going to spend 3,000bht (or more) to install a POS worth 500bht as scrap.

Doesn't make financial sense to me.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're going to spend 3,000bht (or more) to install a POS worth 500bht as scrap.

install the 500 POS that will chew electric like there is no tomorrow, tenant gets jack of that and replaces it with a new unit.

sounds like a winner to me rather than spending 20k+ on a new unit upfront !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I suspect you're a renter and never been a landlord before. I will spend 3k getting it installed. Better than spending 50k on a few new ones. Never get that money back. 

Please think before your fingers hit the keyboard. 

Read don megas comment above. You might learn something from him as well. 

2 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

I suspect you're a renter and never been a landlord before.

I'm a buyer, just replaced my 6 year old Samsung with a 12kBTU Haier inverter, 9k from Lazada, 3k for a local fitter to install.

They gave me 500bht for the old air-con, making the total price to me around 11,500bht.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Iam am a renter, I put in a 50k AC system... I take it when I leave.

I am not sure if you are allowed to do this by law. I think it belongs to the landlord even if you paid it. 

Just now, Oldie said:

I am not sure if you are allowed to do this by law. I think it belongs to the landlord even if you paid it. 

By law I have to leave the property as it was when I first occupied it, thats why I take pictures... keep them for myself and send them to the landlord.

These few last posts.

Who learn from who?   ????

If I would rent such place out, I wouldn't hang up that aircon back to the ceiling.

No paying 3k and no 50k either. Rent would be just for the place, unfurnished.

Tenant, can if he want put a new aircon on the wall.

And take it with him if he insist, but leave no damage or no deposit back :whistling:

Btw, If landlord has something fixed like aircon or old style windows.

New tenant buy new and replace it.

Who owns it? The tenant, ok, seems fair to me.. if tenant keeps the old aircon or old style windows and put it back when leaving. ????

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

By law I have to leave the property as it was when I first occupied it, thats why I take pictures... keep them for myself and send them to the landlord.

I wanted to do this in a rented object long time ago. And I was told that everything that will be installed fixed will belong to the owner of the condo. 

Edited by Oldie

4 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I wanted to do this in a rented object long time ago. And I was told that everything that will be installed fixed will belong to the owner of the condo. 

Fixed?

The solution: ????

hangmat-haak-hout.jpg.3de313187c295208866002e66341c661.jpg

It's getting offtopic but on the other hand an interesting point, perhaps for the OP too.

- What if tenant want to replace the AC. Who gets the ownership of the new product?

I think; tenant have to talk with the landlord about this, he the landlord can agree or not with taking away the old AC for a price or even taking the ownership for new installed aircon for a shared price.

Or landlord installs the new aircon and rises the rental price.

Or just say no, don't touch it. 

Then the solution is, if landlord would accept drilling trough the wall if there is no other way out, having the tenant installing a new aircon which is theirs and taking when leaving.

Installed near the old aircon which isn't removed, so the situation would be like as the day the tenant moved in.

Totally depends on how long would tenant stay in it, I wouldn't bother when renting for a few months but if years then yes I do.

39 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Iam am a renter, I put in a 50k AC system... I take it when I leave.

I rented a condo in Bangkok, had an old noisy A/C that ate electric. Asked the landlord to put something in more efficient. She said no, I moved out. Its a renters market.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 8:28 PM, Metropolitian said:

f I would rent such place out, I wouldn't hang up that aircon back to the ceiling.

No paying 3k and no 50k either. Rent would be just for the place, unfurnished

After many days of consideration and after having an air con technician come to quote I think you are correct. 

I think that I will just poke the 5 wires through the new gyprock ceiling and let them install a new air con as they wish. I can even offer them the old system if they want. Its a bit of a hastle for me actually to go and put a <deleted> old system in.