Flying From Bkk To Hk

alexth

Planning a trip to Knog Kong next month and I was wondering if anyone got any experience on this? What airlines fly there relatively cheap and comfortable. I would prefere non-budget airlines.

Planning a trip to Knog Kong next month and I was wondering if anyone got any experience on this? What airlines fly there relatively cheap and comfortable. I would prefere non-budget airlines.

You could try booking with emirates at emirates.com,they often have roundtrips between 6 and 7k to HKG. The only drawback is their late departute out of HKG at around 10pm so gets you to Suva after midnight.

Gulf Air,China Airlines and Sri Lankan airlines have good deals on the same route.Finnair flies it but not daily so youll have to check their website.

Thai and Cathay fly it of course but are almost double the price unless you manage to nab one of TGs "super saver fares" off their website,but those trips normally depart within 3 to 4 days of booking(and can be as cheap as 7k).

Good Luck.

We flew China Airlines to HKG last May and they were excellent (brand new airbus, great service) , and very reasonably priced .Sorry, don't remember exactly how much we paid :o - but it was less than 6000THB pp!

Edited by TanjaB

You could try booking with emirates at emirates.com,they often have roundtrips between 6 and 7k to HKG. The only drawback is their late departute out of HKG at around 10pm so gets you to Suva after midnight.

Gulf Air,China Airlines and Sri Lankan airlines have good deals on the same route.Finnair flies it but not daily so youll have to check their website.

Thai and Cathay fly it of course but are almost double the price unless you manage to nab one of TGs "super saver fares" off their website,but those trips normally depart within 3 to 4 days of booking(and can be as cheap as 7k).

Good Luck.

That's my experience too. TG & CX are more expensive. Could be, the agents get better commission when selling TG's flights departing 7:30am from BKK.

Finnair is OK if their schedule (4 times a week) suits you.

Emirates are also inexpensive on that route. They depart at 12:15 (lunch time) but come back at midnight.

BKK-HK I fly Gulf air as they arrive around 3pm in the afternoon.Usually the flights that arrive in HK in the morning are more expensive and inturn evening flights are cheaper.I saw Finn air for 7400baht incl.tax which I thought was pretty good though I dont know their schedule.

Thanks for your advices. Until now, looks like China Air gets my vote. Air Asia to Macau would have been a good ideea if I were to go on a pleaseure trip (even though I'm not that happy with Air Asia), but given the rate from Bkk to Macau and then the feryy, the price would be the same as flying directly with China Air. Thanks again for your advices.

Emirates, Boeing 777-300 with PTV's. Cost 7,000 THB per person inclusive of all taxes.

Although Emirates is a good airline, their 777s have a 3-4-3 layout in economy class instead of the usual 3-3-3, which might feel extra cramped if the flight is full.

The Airbus A310 (Air India) and A330 and A340 (China Airlines, Gulf Air, SriLankan) have a 2-4-2 layout, which I personally prefer.

Air India and Kenya Airways are usually the cheapest.....

And, in my view, with good reason.

I've never flown with Air India or Kenya Airways, are they nutoriously bad then?

I'm thinking of flying to Kilimanjiro with Kenya? Dont have bamboo seats do they?

I've never flown with Air India or Kenya Airways, are they nutoriously bad then?

I'm thinking of flying to Kilimanjiro with Kenya? Dont have bamboo seats do they?

Air India,Kenya Airways and even Ethiopian Airlines all fly BKK-HKG, They are considered full service airlines but with their high delay/cancellation rate, old aircraft and awful service I would seriously think twice about booking with any of these airlines.

Actually, the Air India planes are not that old,but their delay rate is very high,possibly a knock on effect from India as the airport in Delhi is highly congested and shuts down at the slightest hint of fog.

Emirates, Boeing 777-300 with PTV's. Cost 7,000 THB per person inclusive of all taxes.

Although Emirates is a good airline, their 777s have a 3-4-3 layout in economy class instead of the usual 3-3-3, which might feel extra cramped if the flight is full.

The Airbus A310 (Air India) and A330 and A340 (China Airlines, Gulf Air, SriLankan) have a 2-4-2 layout, which I personally prefer.

The emirates layout is actually more comfortable. The seats are the same width, but isle room has been reduced to compensate for the extra seat. The seats in Emirates economy offer more recline and have more leg room than any other airline I have flown, they also have the best in flight ent system. I was worried about the 3-4-3 layout, but the extra recline and everything else emirates has to offer is well worth it.

Air India,Kenya Airways and even Ethiopian Airlines all fly BKK-HKG, They are considered full service airlines but with their high delay/cancellation rate, old aircraft and awful service I would seriously think twice about booking with any of these airlines.

Actually, the Air India planes are not that old,but their delay rate is very high,possibly a knock on effect from India as the airport in Delhi is highly congested and shuts down at the slightest hint of fog.

You already contradict yourself by stating first that Air India has old planes, but at second thought they're not that old after all... The congestion at Delhi airport is hardly Air India's fault.

Kenya Airways operates either the Boeing 767 or 777 on the Nairobi-Bangkok-Hong Kong route. While the 767s are not very young, they are newer than the average A310 Air India uses. Their 777s are almost brand new. After South African Airlines, Kenya Airways is regarded as the most reliable African mainline carrier and they have an alliance with Air France / KLM.

You already contradict yourself by stating first that Air India has old planes, but at second thought they're not that old after all... The congestion at Delhi airport is hardly Air India's fault.

Kenya Airways operates either the Boeing 767 or 777 on the Nairobi-Bangkok-Hong Kong route. While the 767s are not very young, they are newer than the average A310 Air India uses. Their 777s are almost brand new. After South African Airlines, Kenya Airways is regarded as the most reliable African mainline carrier and they have an alliance with Air France / KLM.

I think I acknowledged the contradiction by writing the word "actually" at the beginning of my second sentence. Perhaps I should have written "on second thoughts" or some such other qualifier to show I am ,intentionally,removing Air India from that criticism.

And you are absolutely right that it is not their fault if DEL is congested, nor did I say it was.The fact remains they have a huge delay rate.Check out HKG and BKK airport arrival/departure times and seek out AI see for yourself.

My point is simply that given the ticket price is not that different from say,Emirates , Gulf Air ,China Airlines or Finnair,why take the risk of messing up your travel plans..plus I think they are flying A310s which can get pretty cramped.

I didnt realise Kenya Airways were using a 777 on this route,last I noticed it was a 767. Good to know they are doing so well,right after SAA on the most reliable mainline African airline list. Who was third?

I fly to Hk every 2 weeks or sometimes every week.

I've flown Finnair, Emirates, China, Gulfair.

Unually it's Emirates, their food is better (actually sometimes it's tasty!) and sometimes they have entertainment units in the seats. Flight attendants better looking.

I actually prefer China (Taiwanese) because the planes are brand spankin new and the in-flight entertainment consoles are incredible. like 400 channels and every movie you could think of. Food not so good.

They are both cheap, I pay about 7500baht each time I go.

My point is simply that given the ticket price is not that different from say,Emirates , Gulf Air ,China Airlines or Finnair,why take the risk of messing up your travel plans..plus I think they are flying A310s which can get pretty cramped.

I didnt realise Kenya Airways were using a 777 on this route,last I noticed it was a 767. Good to know they are doing so well,right after SAA on the most reliable mainline African airline list. Who was third?

Oh yes, absolutely, I myself would also always choose Emirates, Gulf Air or Finnair over Air India if the ticket prices are similar, simply because the former offer a better quality. While the A310 is not too bad to travel on, I like the MD11 or 777 more, even with the Emirates 3/4/3 layout of which aussiestyle1983 correctly says that, all in all, it's a good deal.

I am not sure which African airline is regarded as the third best, it might be EgyptAir - which, by the way, usually operates the Boeing 777 to Bangkok. I haven't flown with them though and can't comment on their service.