Shipping Personal Items to Thailand - Import Tax

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this topic,

I currently have property in Thailand and have chinote (not sure if that has any relevance) to Customs Tax.

I have been working in the Middle East and I am planning in the next couple months to move to Thailand and start the Retirement Visa process.

My question is to any with experience in "shipping their personal items to Thailand" and what issues they may have faced in regards to personal items and Customs Duty Taxes?

Any personal advise from those with actual experience pre-covid mayhem would be greatly appreciated.

Do I ship it in "my name door to door" or is it better to "ship it to a Thai national" (not married) ?

You just need an address. I shipped my stuff inclusive of duties. That much depends on how much you value your effects at. I think it was around 10%. My stuff moved in a 40ft container. I had a non O&A visa issued in Dubai. Personal message me if you need more info

OK lets start then. For you, is doesn´t matter if you do it in your name or in a thai nationals name, that is if the thai national hasn´t been outside Thailand for a sum of 1 year in total. Then this thai have no more rights than you as a falang have.

This thing with customs and customs duties is something that is very much spoken of here, if you are not able to use anyone with rights then you will be debited a "cost" at the clerence-process here in Thailand.

Normally for a 20´container  (usually) it use to be round 30.000 baht in customs duty. Between your thumb and pointfinger the duty is between 5% - 7% for the normal goods for you.... So you will not be over-debited too much.. 

Use if possible door to door in your own name, unless you have access to a thai that have "rights"... Have been outside Thailand more than 1 year in total...

Good luck

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Thanks 1

OK, I can’t help with personal items, however I understand there are rules in place that can reduce your import duty within certain time limits. As with all rules these can change so I suggest you look at www.customs.go.th for the latest.

I export from the Uk into Thailand , usually 4-5 40ft HC’s a year and this is my experience. Firstly you need an agent to complete the paperwork for you, although you will need to provide them with a ‘load list’ . I am on my 3rd agent as there are good and bad apples in that group.

Now the agents work with the port authorities , and there are similarities to agents working with certain Immigration offices. I once lost £18,000 of stock because one agent used the inland port of Lam Cheabang and obviously didn’t ‘tick the correct boxes’

Different products are subject to different import duties and you will find this on the customs site, so you will be able to calculate your costs from there. If you de-value an item they can re-value it and charge you an additional fee, so work with the agent to set sensible values.

In respect to whom you ship it to, that depends on whether you can bring your personal items in duty free, so discuss that with an agent.

I have no idea how much my agent charges for her work as it’s an all inclusive price ( which is all that matters really).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1