Does A Thai Girl Enjoy Reading?

what is your experiences?

does a (probably less educated) thai girl/bargirl enjoy reading your messages (email, postal letter, whatever)?

will she really understand what you write her (if written in foreign language)?

what is the average maximum lengh of transcript you (should) send to her?

will she collapse if she "has" to read (and understand) - say - more than one A4-format size of text?

(I know, I know - no need to mention now that she will get bored as soon as she is no longer interested in your words... :o)

will she appreciate you sending her a message in thai instead of any foreign blabla?

I made the mistake in the past of sending postcards in thai scipt, I translated myself. Luckily I didn't make any bad mistakes, it just didn't make sense and caused a lot of amusement, still being shown to friends for a laugh on occasions. The effort was appreciated, though.

As for writing in English, B.C.'s suggestion of SMS is a good one.

Imaging yourself receiving a three page letter in Thai, having to translate it. It is not the best way to improve one's popularity, is it?

Will my comment count as I'm not a BG?

CUTIE, yes of course.

I am having regular (english) email-conversation with my thai (female) business partner in Bkk. She loves to read my mail and - for her - it never was too long too read.

Well guess, yes I do also have some kind of weird e-mail conversation with my -I-am-not-sure- g/f in Sa Kaeo/Samui and even though I have got my english text translated into thai I fear she is that kind of (lower educated) girl who is not amused in reading my (too long?) stories. I've never been that type of guy just sending simple 2 or 3 sentences but instead express my current feelings and whatever else in extended way. It is not ...i miss you stuff... but anything I felt I have to say.

Hard to believe, even more hard to admit: as long as there is no ...I will send you money soon... - context in the letter it seems to be of non-importance. Or am I lucky and it simply has to do something with "not getting used for thai (bar)girls not even expecting extense messages" (more than any SMS could say)?

On the whole, Thais don't read and seem to be more comfortable communicating orally.

All sorts of people accustomed, for example, to the western business practice of communicating important information in writing have discovered to their horror that their Thai colleagues and employees wouldn't ever bother reading a word of anything they were sent.

My own view has always been that Thais dislike the black-and-white tone of written communication which frequently leaves them little wiggle room for claiming later that they misunderstood you. The ambiquity of oral communicatin is far more suited to their particular social comfort zone.

On the whole, Thais don't read and seem to be more comfortable communicating orally.

All sorts of people accustomed, for example, to the western business practice of communicating important information in writing have discovered to their horror that their Thai colleagues and employees wouldn't ever bother reading a word of anything they were sent.

My own view has always been that Thais dislike the black-and-white tone of written communication which frequently leaves them little wiggle room for claiming later that they misunderstood you. The ambiquity of oral communicatin is far more suited to their particular social comfort zone.

I have to agree with you Old Asia Hand. I think Thais like to do things off the seat

of their pants a lot, without consideration for research. This is of course just another generalisation on my part, but once one has been around this sort of thing

long enough, it becomes the norm. Years ago when my wife asked me to give her

money to start up a business, I said, "Sure, just write up a business plan and I'll

give you the money." She looked at me like I was crazy and whined, bitched and moaned about, "You think too much!" I ended up giving her the money; and no she never did write up a business plan. The business, however, has been quite

sucessful so I'll give her that.

All sorts of <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=people&v=56">people</a> accustomed, for example, to the western <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=business&v=56">business</a> practice of communicating important information in <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=writing&v=56">writing</a> have discovered to their horror that their Thai colleagues and employees wouldn't ever bother reading a word of anything they were sent.

On the whole thais dont read.....hum......

It's easy enough to think, which ppl you are communicating. Bar girls have no time to read , time is money. Money from Farangs, who think thais BG dont read. But they are clever not to read but to make money with you ( Farang ).

Well, depending on which thai are you contacting with. If BG likes to read, they might look " well educated", and if they are really like to read long letter ( waste of her making money time ) they would not have to work as a BG. Dont you think so ?

If she can read your long english letter, she would have worked other occupations.

Not a bit difficult to ask, why whole thais dont read.....hum......

Just a point of view of a thai woman, who like to read very long letters, and dont forget, I like to read newspapers too....hehehee....

At least I can read.....hurayyyyyyy.....

:o

KATHIE:

this g/f I am talking about is NOT a BG yet, but close falling into BG/freelance biz.

I wrote in english and got it translated into thai (quite expensive but I did not care)

About the "well educated" thai as you mention, I have no fear at all (read my 2nd post).

About a "close to BG biz"-girl I do not know yet, but - again - I fear it might have been faaaar too many words I've recently sent. And I do not know IF I should continue sending messages (emails, letters) in terms of many words (except the money-related topics, YES I know)....

:o

I used to communicate with my Thai GF by email, I would tell her about my day / week and ask her some questions about her life / family. If I asked 3 questions she would only answer one. This used to frustrate me.

On one occasion she sent me a beautiful poem (in English) that expressed our feelings and the distance between us. I was impressed! Learnt the poem off by heart.

On my next visit to her in LoS, as we were driving down to Kho Samet, I recited the poem “with pride” … she looked at me blankly as only she can. I explained this was the beautiful poem she sent me …

Oh!!! (She said with a goofy smile) I don’t know about this, English teacher, he give me poem!

Land of Smiles and Laughs

Have a Happy…

DeDanan

From my experience, though it seems that nowadays there are more and more books published in Thai available, it doesn't seem the average Thai enjoys reading that much. When I was growing up, as an example, whenever I got a phone call from a Thai person and was asked what I was doing and I replied "I'm reading a book" (aan nangsue), they would automatically assume I was studying (doing homework, etc...) They would never associate reading with pleasure, only study.

I have to admit, in general, Thais don't like to read much. I am not sure if it has something to do with the way we were raised. I love reading. I've got lots of books and magazines, both in Thai and English, in my room. While my sisters read a little - only the ones they really really like.

Kathe has got a point about BGs not reading. In my opinion, they have just got more important things to do.

As for myself, I love reading. Magazines, newspaper, books, emails, long or short, I just love it.

I am twice married, each time to Thai graduates of European universities. (I also lived for six years with another graduate.)

Each of my wives and my girlfriend were not bothered about reading when our relationship started. However when I introduced them to quality western literature, translated into Thai it had the effect of opening the floodgates and they all now devour an6ything they can get their hands on, in Thai or English.

It helps that I am a severely addicted bookworm myself and keep an extensive, somewhat eclectic library in Thai and English.

There is an absence of books or other reading matter in my wife's village. When I first started visiting I read up well on the area and they were quite amazed when I was able to take them to the various Wats and tell them about the carvings, etc., even to translate some of the scripts. They were quite surprised what you can get out of a book.

I have since taken books, educational posters, etc. (in English) and the kids in particular do seem to be taking an interest.

There are usually quite a few people in the book department of the nearest town. I guess that if you've been bought up with no books or reading matter you don't know what you are missing.

I am currently in HK where, despite generally good educational levels, reading does not appear to be a favourite pastime, apart from the action comics - perhaps it's an Asian thing.

My wife reads a variety of overseas papers(online) and local thai publications.Also a few John Grisham novels over the years. And of course, had to do alot of reading when at uni in Sydney many moons ago. So, yes...enjoys reading.

There is an absence of books or other reading matter in my wife's village. When I first started visiting I read up well on the area and they were quite amazed when I was able to take them to the various Wats and tell them about the carvings, etc., even to translate some of the scripts. They were quite surprised what you can get out of a book.

I have since taken books, educational posters, etc. (in English) and the kids in particular do seem to be taking an interest.

There are usually quite a few people in the book department of the nearest town. I guess that if you've been bought up with no books or reading matter you don't know what you are missing.

I am currently in HK where, despite generally good educational levels, reading does not appear to be a favourite pastime, apart from the action comics - perhaps it's an Asian thing.

Which village is your wife from? I find your comments very interesting because having read them, I realize that stories and customs in south east Asia have been generally been transmitted orally rather than via written documents. This could be part of the reason why it seems the average Thais don't read much :o

perhaps it's an Asian thing.

Perhaps. But I'm in the impression that Japan is a nation of big readers. Maybe lack of interest in reading is rather a south east Asian thing! :D

I am twice married, each time to Thai graduates of European universities. (I also lived for six years with another graduate.)

Each of my wives and my girlfriend were not bothered about reading when our relationship started. However when I introduced them to quality western literature, translated into Thai it had the effect of opening the floodgates and they all now devour an6ything they can get their hands on, in Thai or English.

Hmm they left you after you introduced them to literature... scary! :D

What's the learning experience for the readers at this forum? :o

My TGF is only 19 and undereducated. However, she is very nearly finished an English course and now has a job as a teaching assistant. I'm very proud of her, her spoken and written English have improved significantly and she is currently reading "James and the giant peach" which she loves.

You know what, I just don't like the way this discussion started... (Not just the original poster) Lumping bargirls in there with the entire female population, making assumptions about education levels, making assumptions about what Thais read or don't read...

I mean if you have some lazy dyslexic little retard at home who just watches TV or the Thai Rath provided there's good gory pictures in them, then by all means say so and ask queastions based on that situation.

For those thinking that Thais don't read: Go visit any book store.

For those thinking people are under-educated: Go visit any university.

For those thinking anything else: Stop using bars and the people there as your sample for Thai society. Any of the resulting comments really say more about yourselves than about Thailand or Thai people.

Cheers,

Chanchao

You know what, I just don't like the way this discussion started... (Not just the original poster) Lumping bargirls in there with the entire female population, making assumptions about education levels, making assumptions about what Thais read or don't read...

I mean if you have some lazy dyslexic little retard at home who just watches TV or the Thai Rath provided there's good gory pictures in them, then by all means say so and ask queastions based on that situation.

For those thinking that Thais don't read: Go visit any book store.

For those thinking people are under-educated: Go visit any university.

For those thinking anything else: Stop using bars and the people there as your sample for Thai society.  Any of the resulting comments really say more about yourselves than about Thailand or Thai people. 

Cheers,

Chanchao

I was enjoying this thread right up until I got to this snotty little jingoistic post.

Chanchao, do you feel better now that you have put down the farang who associates with BG's?

Personally I think the comments on how and why some thai people may be more comfortable with spoken language very interesting. It would be interesting to see how this equates accross a broader sampling of education.

That average farang in thailand does have limited contact with thai culture and society goes without saying. But that is no way diminishes his or her observations of the thai culture he or she by default have contact with.

Cheerio.

I mean if you have some lazy dyslexic little retard

Is that how you really spelly "dyslexic", because I am dyslexic and have been trying to look it up in a dictanary, to explaine to my wife why I cant spell things in english when she asks me.

The trouble is if you cant spell it you cant look it up, never thought of putting the "y" after the "d" .

thanks

Statisticly 95% of Thai population are literlated ( given by the BOI office), so most Thai can read but whether they like to read or not is deifferent questions.

I think my habit of reading has to do with the way I growed up. I was raised as a single child, only friend I had at home, when my parents were not around ,were books and reconds. Fortunetely, my father has a big collection of literatures. He read alot of Western fictions, classics and novel. As a curious kid, I sometimes browsed his collections and try to read them. I read illiad when i was 12 and hardly understood anything. A few years later try again and have succeed to appreaciate. The bookshelf of my father was the starting point of my reading habit. Now I weekly buy few magazine from girly ones to business ones. Also reading a fiction at least 2-3 books a month apart from my study books. I am close to book addiction( better than drug huh?).

Ofcourse my personal experience can not and should not streotyped that Thai love reading. The habit of reading is individual ,even among Farang themselves. However, there are a few facts that influrenced this habit such as the matter of low cost publication, ability, accesibilty or social influrence.

Back to your question, you wonder whether your thai friend would appreaciated your mean of communication by written material such as email and stuff. Well, If they are not to boring to read or to unrealistic to believe I think she would appreciated it. So ... try to be balance in your letter not too bossy and not too flirty. Keep trying and good luck :o

I was enjoying this thread right up until I got to this snotty little jingoistic post.

Yeah, me, too.

I'm always at a loss as to why, nearly every time an interesting discussion starts, one of these 'defenders of the faith' will jump in and sneeringly attack everyone for 'making generalizations about Thais' or some other nonsense like that. For God's sake, when you've lived here for a decade or two you are entitled to come to some conclusions about the place you live and the people you live among.

I thought that was largely the point of this forum anyway, for those of us who have developed some views to share them with others who are still working on theirs. If you don't agree with me, well fine. But can this crappola of telling me that I'm a clod for having views about Thais and Thailand and expressing those views to others. Your culturally correct life isn't nearly as superior as you seem to think it is. Frankly, it sounds pretty damned dull.