Best Book Shops?

richb2004

You can buy hundreds of books on the web from publisher Bangkokbooks in Thailand. Download as ebook and save on shipping costs. Most books are discounted (up to 80% off; printed as well as ebooks)

Daily new books - all about Asia (mostly Thailand).

www.bangkokbooks.com

Try kindle or whatever ebook stores there are (a few restrictions but should not be too much of trouble)

Kinokuniya is the best, for sure.

There are a few all right new/used bookstores in the Khaosan area.

My favorite is the one on Rambuttri, it has no name, but they stamp their books with a butterfly and will buy them back for 50%.

This is how to get there from Khaosan:

Walk to the end of Khaosan, toward the police station, away from Burger King (imagine that as your starting point). So you make it to the end, turn right, walk past the police station (it will be on your right) and you will see the temple on the other side of the road. When you get to Rambuttri, turn left, not right. Left. Walk. Go past Sawadee Inn and Restaurant, a fruit shake stand, 7-11. Keep going. A little farther and you will see the bookshop on your right. They have books displayed outside aswell, when it's not raining. They are open from 12:30 to 10:30 (I think), but closed Mondays ( i had to learn that one).

• 1 month later...

By far the best one in Pattaya is Canterbury Tales Bookshop, I used to use beach books but the last time I went in looking for Lee Child, Forsythe, Stephen Leather books they had very few but I found most of all in the Canterbury, as well as the latest Child and Leather.

Also a huge amount of the Thailand Books, some old hard to find Chris C Moore & his new one the Receptionist,post-101635-0-85915600-1289852398_thumb.post-101635-0-71941600-1289852425_thumb.post-101635-0-44567100-1289852450_thumb.post-101635-0-06166100-1289852488_thumb.

Singapore has a large number of huge and absolutely first-rate English-language bookstores, but Bangkok is quite another matter all together. There are really only three choices here, and they all offer a small and limited range (at least by world standards).

The best by far is Kinokuniya, the Thai branch of a large Japanese chain. Kino has only two stores in Bangkok, one at the Emporium and one at whatever they are calling the World Trade Centre these days (although the latter branch is primarily Japanese-language). Kino at the Emporium is the closest thing here to a real world English-langugae bookstore with a moderately deep selection of both fiction and non-fiction, although they are oddly heavy on large format picture books and light on contemporary fiction. Most of their current stuff is sourced from US publishers.

The next best choice is the American-owned Bookazine chain with a dozen or so locations all over the country, primarily in tourist areas, although I warn you that Bookazine is really not much more than a glorified newsstand. They have a very good and reasonably deep selection of current massmarket paperbacks, quite a few tourist books and large-format picture books, but almost nothing in the way of serious ficition or nonfiction.

The lousiest by far but probably most visible choice is the Asia Books chain, the locally owned entry in the English-language book business in Thailand. They have about ten high-profile locations around Bangkok, mostly in big shopping malls, although none at all outside of Bangkok. Most of their stock is sourced from UK publishers and their stores on the whole are junky, crowded, and unappealing messes. If you dig around, you can find a fair selection of current massmarket paperbacks from the UK, but you won't enjoy doing it. And if you need help in locating something, good luck in trying to communicate with the dim-witted and frequently non-English speaking staff. Other than the security guards self-importantly strutting about and looking you over with undisguished suspicion, no one will show the slightest interest.

My advice is to bring a six months supply of books and then make a run to Singapore. Actually, you wouldn't even have to leave the airport there to find a great bookstore. Right in the Singapore Airlines terminal at Changi is one of the best and most pleasant English-language bookstores in Asia.

Good luck.

Actually, the biggest Kinokuniya Book Shop is at Siam Paragon (3rd Floor), just above the car dealers.

Also in Siam Paragon is an AsiaBook shop which is very modern, has a good selection (not like Kinokuniya though) and the staff does speak English.

My third recommendation for buying books: The Internet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get yourself an iPad, go to a torrent site and download over 600 books for free.

Great stuff. rolleyes.gif

The iPad is fine for reading articles,surfing the Internet or answering e-mail, but most people would not enjoy reading entire books on a computer screen. That is what it is.

Additionally, the whole 'free' books thing sounds great but very few people want to read copyright-expired books that can be downloaded for free. Most people want to read new, popular titles or modern classics that go for about $14.00 these days. Like with most things, you usually get what you pay for.