Hionda Ultimate Care - experiences?

Sheryl

As I am getting little response here https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1167926-advice-on-buying-a-new-car-in-thailand/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-15669963

I am now breaking  down the key questions into different threads.

Does anyone have first hand experience with Honda Ultimate Care?  What does it cover? I have been offered it as part of a nrw car purchase, 5 years or first 140,000 km but I cannot figure out what it actually includes Google chrome translation of what is on the website e=seems to exclude everything possible: spare parts, labor, routine maintanence, towing.  Doesn't seem to be anything left so this must not be a correct translation.

2 hours ago, Madgee said:

https://web.honda.co.th/service/special-service/ultimate.php

Use Google Page Translate.    Or:     

2110821022_HondaCare1.JPG.6eb4899701b1730ccbd194cd14371a14.JPG

1708093746_HondaCare2.JPG.cc6c2d0f522bf683b16d577a6f8d1cf2.JPG89802518_HondaCare4.JPG.8681288da99183e68184954e1df9ef3b.JPG1302949672_HondaCare3.JPG.6f4111f28fd668b0f9d272f5bcced629.JPG

i already saw this, it is what I was referring to in my post. Per this translation items # 7, 10 and 14 all parts and labor and towing charges are excluded. That leaves nothing at all covered. So this cannot be correct.

And yes, it is being offered free with purchase of new car.

My main reason for purchasing new is to have a warranty but if it excludes absolutely everything it is worthless. Surely this is a mistranslation?

Again - does anyone actually have experience with this type of warranty?

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

It maybe good for someone who knows nothing about car care mostly over the the top similar I  guess to like trying to keep a warranty in place for 3 years. 

Over the top how? And why only for someone who knows nothing about car care?

I have verified that what it is, is an extension of the basic factory warranty for an additional 2 years i.e. 5 years instead of 3. Covering all repairs, both labor and parts. I don't see how what this has to do with knowing about car care. Even if one is a mechanic, parts can be expensive.

???

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have verified that what it is, is an extension of the basic factory warranty for an additional 2 years i.e. 5 years instead of 3. Covering all repairs, both labor and parts. I don't see how what this has to do with knowing about car care. Even if one is a mechanic, parts can be expensive.

???

I don't believe it gives the same cover as the factory warranty. I believe it covers the 'sudden and catastrophic failure' of parts. It excludes all wear and tear, glass, trim and paint defects.  All prior service/repair must be done to schedule by Honda and only using Honda parts.

Such 'extended warranties' are common in other countries too. They are strictly a form of insurance rather than a 'warranty' and usually provided by the likes of AXA, AIG etc with branding by the car manufacturer.

The 'wear and tear' clause is the killer because many faults will deemed wear and tear. 

Edited by HauptmannUK

1 minute ago, HauptmannUK said:

I don't believe it gives the same cover as the factory warranty. I believe it covers the 'sudden and catastrophic failure' of parts. It excludes all wear and tear, glass, trim and paint defects.  All prior service/repair must be done to schedule by Honda and only using Honda parts.

Such 'extended warranties' are common in other countries too. They are strictly a form of insurance rather than a 'warranty' and using provided by the likes of AXA, AIG etc with branding by the car manufacturer.

The 'wear and tear' clause is the killer because many faults will deemed wear and tear. 

Actually the requirement that all prior routine service had to be done by Honda looks to be an even bigger killer as that would cost considerably more than I currently pay for oil change etc.Then there is the inconvenience factor ,which is considerable. 1 hour r/t drive to the nearest Honda site vs having the oil change done at shop at the end of the road. Not only loss of time driving (and then having to wait around vs walk home and they'll drop the car off when done) there is also the issue of having to schedule it far in advance since they always seem full.

Starting to look maybe not worth it....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually the requirement that all prior routine service had to be done by Honda looks to be an even bigger killer as that would cost considerably more than I currently pay for oil change etc.Then there is the inconvenience factor ,which is considerable. 1 hour r/t drive to the nearest Honda site vs having the oil change done at shop at the end of the road. Not only loss of time driving (and then having to wait around vs walk home and they'll drop the car off when done) there is also the issue of having to schedule it far in advance since they always seem full.

Starting to look maybe not worth it....

Personally (as someone with a fair bit of motor trade experience, albeit in the UK) I would have all your servicing done by Honda throughout warranty. It should only be once a year.  It will save major grief if you have an expensive failure - rare with a Honda, but it can happen.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Personally (as someone with a fair bit of motor trade experience, albeit in the UK) I would have all your servicing done by Honda throughout warranty. It should only be once a year.  It will save major grief if you have an expensive failure - rare with a Honda, but it can happen.

Oil change is a lot more than once a year. Averages every few months...

If anyone is interested I got a brochure with  English translation from Honda, attached here Very f=different read than google translate offered up.

Main issue aside from apparently having to get all oil changes done at Honda (a considerable inconvenience/cost in terms of both time and money ) is the "wear and tear" exclusion clause, question is how is that interpreted/applied. If the clutch foes and has to be replaced will that be called "wear and tear" and nto covered? etc

Would really help  to hear from someone who actually has thsi cover and has used it or tried to use it.

Honda Ultimate Care (EN).pdf

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

???

Well if if your happy go for it, I wouldn't if it cost money.

ie. 5 year instead of 3 years that is the question..

Question what goes wrong with a 5 year old vehicle these days even if used for business.

6 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

What is your annual mileage?

varies but on average maybe 16,000 km

I put 160,000 km on my current car in the past 10 years (total mileage is much more than that as I bought it used...its around 240k now)

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

varies but on average maybe 16,000 km

I put 160,000 km on my current car in the past 10 years (total mileage is much more than that as I bought it used...its around 240k now)

On a Honda Jazz that maximum two oil changes a year.  They should do it while you wait..

9 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

On a Honda Jazz that maximum two oil changes a year.  They should do it while you wait..

Yes I see now that they say only every 10,000 km. On my current care it always says every 3000 km. Or does frequency change as  car ages?

It is over an hour drive there, plus waiting time, and a real hassle to get on the schedule. Ends up being pretty much a full day...compared to just pop down the road., leave of off the car &  and walk home, taking maybe 20 minutes of my day only.  And of course will cost 2-3 times as much.

In all honesty, taking account your circumstances, you might be better buying a 3 year old used car.  Check it has a service record and get it professionally appraised. You could save ฿200k and you service it where you want.

Small Japanese cars are hugely reliable if not abused and should be fairly trouble free.

15 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

In all honesty, taking account your circumstances, you might be better buying a 3 year old used car.  Check it has a service record and get it professionally appraised. You could save ฿200k and you service it where you want.

Small Japanese cars are hugely reliable if not abused and should be fairly trouble free.

Yes, I am starting to think this too. Though difficult to find a car with manual transmission locally.  If there is an economic downturn that might change, though. And if not found locally then the issue becomes who would appraise it that I can trust; locally I have someone reliable but if I buy out of province I'd be taking pot luck on a mechanic to appraise it.

Anyhow for now I have widened my search to either a low mileage 2016+ used  car or a new one. But not finding much in the way of used Honda Jazz with MT only a few years old.

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes I see now that they say only every 10,000 km. On my current care it always says every 3000 km. Or does frequency change as  car ages?

It is over an hour drive there, plus waiting time, and a real hassle to get on the schedule. Ends up being pretty much a full day...compared to just pop down the road., leave of off the car &  and walk home, taking maybe 20 minutes of my day only.  And of course will cost 2-3 times as much.

New Honda's use synthetic oil which last much longer than what were motor oils from a few years back.

And you'd want a new car serviced by a Honda tec using Honda parts.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, I am starting to think this too. Though difficult to find a car with manual transmission locally.  If there is an economic downturn that might change, though. And if not found locally then the issue becomes who would appraise it that I can trust; locally I have someone reliable but if I buy out of province I'd be taking pot luck on a mechanic to appraise it.

Anyhow for now I have widened my search to either a low mileage 2016+ used  car or a new one. But not finding much in the way of used Honda Jazz with MT only a few years old.

Here is a good resource , but Thai ppl hardly maintain their car engines well unfortunately.

https://www.taladrod.com/w40/isch/schc.aspx?fno:new+mk:29+md:428&ty=0

-----

this is a stick shift and looks unmodified (you'll want a used car all stock)

https://www.taladrod.com/w40/icar/cardet.aspx?cid=2366033 

Edited by 4reaL
added link
  • Thanks 1