Non Immigrant Holders With Foreign Driving License

I recall hearing something about insurance companies dont want to pay out if a foreigner living in thailand on a Non Immigrant visa gets into an accident,

and if the accident is the foreigners fault.

What they say is, if living here you should also have a valid Thai driving license.

Is this something an insurance might try out as a first move or is it a law giving them rights on this matter.

International driving permit, will that solve it?

Anyone that might know more about this?

With an international driving permit you are ok to drive, and it is ok with the insurance companies. I think you are only allowed to drive with that for 6 months though.

With a Foreign licence you will probably have a problem as they will say you need a Thai licence.

It is easy to get a Thai licence and it takes away all the ifs and buts if you do have an accident. The Thai licence also acts as an id card as your passport numbers is on it.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this for you.

While we are on the subject of Thai driving licence's, what happens if your passport runs out, and that passport number is on your licence, do you need to change the licence?

Geordie

i had a bad accident in my truck on the 4th April driving back from the cambodian border, no other cars involved, was plssing down and i spun off the road. Anyway i only have an international driving liscence, had it for nearly 5 years and insurance company are paying for everything no problem.

Easy to remedy... get a Thai driving license, end of problem.... !! :o

totster :D

I'm with Totster, a Thai licence is a piece of cake to obtain and solves all potential insurance validity issues.

My insuance policy requires me to have a 'proper' licence (whatever that means). The nice lady at the office said it means a Thai licence although she declined to comment where they would pay out if I had an IDP.

Moot point now as I have a 5 year Thai licence.

I recall hearing something about insurance companies dont want to pay out if a foreigner living in thailand on a Non Immigrant visa gets into an accident,

and if the accident is the foreigners fault.

What they say is, if living here you should also have a valid Thai driving license.

Is this something an insurance might try out as a first move or is it a law giving them rights on this matter.

International driving permit, will that solve it?

Anyone that might know more about this?

The foreign-controlled insurance companies here tend to accept foreign licences in addition to international or Thai licences. However, if your insurance contract says a valid Thai licence is required - that's the terms you are obliged under. You break the terms of the contract, why should they pay?

Thai licence is easy to obtain and cheaper than an international licence. Also useful ID in banks, etc., since your passport number is normally incorporated.

I've had two 'incidents' (nothing major). I only have my 10 year old tatty UK driving licence. No problem with police or insurance company.

I too used my (old style) UK licence for years before changing. I too had a couple of claims on my insurance (foreign-controlled insurers) without difficulties. But why risk it? A foreign licence is NOT valid here under Thai law. An international licence (though it is issued for 12 months) is only valid in Thailand for 6 months (under the law). So why risk it? I think I paid 103 baht for my ordinary Thai licence years ago; I don't think the cost has changed.

It simply makes no sense to drive here, potentially kill someone in an accident, or write off someones Merc, then find your insurance company refusing to meet your claim...leaving you to clear the liability from your own reserves.

Get a Thai licence.

"The Thai licence also acts as an id card as your passport numbers is on it.'

" Also useful ID in banks, etc., since your passport number is normally incorporated."

Two people said it, so it must be so. But, I can't find my passport number on my licences. Exactly where is it? Maybe my eyesight IS that bad.

Thanks.

Terry

The only flaw here is you need a long stay visa to get one ?? Dont know if they take tourist visa's hbut certainly I couldnt get one on a visa exemption..

And you need tyo be on one exactly one year later to rener it for the 5 years.

"The Thai licence also acts as an id card as your passport numbers is on it.'

" Also useful ID in banks, etc., since your passport number is normally incorporated."

Two people said it, so it must be so. But, I can't find my passport number on my licences. Exactly where is it? Maybe my eyesight IS that bad.

Thanks.

Terry

Just had a quick shufti at mine and your PP number is located under your Date of Birth....mine was in the year 2492 :D ...so that makes me ................wot? :o

Starts with....009...then the PP-No.......

mine was issued in Chiang Mai.

Well, I'll be amazed. Like the man said, there's my pp# right below my birth year, and it's a one-year license granted last year. Of course, I still keep a color photocopy of my pp, visa and current extension in my wallet.

I'd be amazed as well if you could get a Thai DL on a tourist visa, but anything's possible.

I had 2 'accidents' on my Khao San Rd international licence and the insurance company paid up both times.Complete respray the second time.I dont condone doing this but it was a way out.Get a Thai licence and no problems.

Possibly the one year temporary license does not have the passport number?

No...the one year licence should show the passport number...anyway, even the 5-year licence is "temporary" in that it doesn't last forever!!

I was issued a 7-year licence after my second 5-year licence expired. Please don't ask me why as I don't know!!

The passport number is in place of the Thai ID number (เลขประจำตัว), which is found on the second line up from the bottom inbetween the date of birth above, and the place of issue below

totster :o

The passport number is in place of the Thai ID number (เลขประจำตัว), which is found on the second line up from the bottom inbetween the date of birth above, and the place of issue below

Do remember that the 'ID' number on your DL does not change on renewal even if you have a new passport (which will have a new number).

When I got my 5 year DL in January the nice lady recommended that I retain a copy of my current passport (which now expires before my licence) to 'make renewal easier'.

The only flaw here is you need a long stay visa to get one ?? Dont know if they take tourist visa's hbut certainly I couldnt get one on a visa exemption..

And you need tyo be on one exactly one year later to rener it for the 5 years.

Mate got one no problem - threw some dosh at one of the clerks and all sorted. :D

A foreign licence is NOT valid here under Thai law. An international licence (though it is issued for 12 months) is only valid in Thailand for 6 months (under the law).

90 days actually.

Thanks Artisan - you are correct. I was thrown by another recent thread that mentioned 6 months.

On the subject of ID / passport number: it surprises me that the HGV licence does not include this, unlike the normal 4-wheeler licence; I should think it would be more important.

"Just had a quick shufti at mine and your PP number is located under your Date of Birth....mine was in the year 2492 ...so that makes me ................wot?

Starts with....009...then the PP-No.......

mine was issued in Chiang Mai. "

Took a look at my licences again. 5 year licences issued about 2+ years ago. No passport number.

Checked my old passport as well.

Does anyone know when they started putting passport numbers there? I've had a Thai licence since 2539. Maybe they didn't do it then, and I've kept the ID number they originally gave me. ???

Terry

easy: when you get your insurance you usually have to supply a copy of your driver's license.

be it an international one and they send you all the documents, it will clearly mean its ok.

otherwise you take them to court and you'd win big time.

if there is such a thing as winning in a thai court.

easy: when you get your insurance you usually have to supply a copy of your driver's license.

be it an international one and they send you all the documents, it will clearly mean its ok.

I do not remember ever having to provide a copy of my licence when applying for insurance. Furthermore, Thai insurance is normally for the vehicle on an "any driver" basis: your argument therefore cannot hold since non-named drivers certainly do not provide a copy of their licence in advance.

Took a look at my licences again. 5 year licences issued about 2+ years ago. No passport number.

Checked my old passport as well.

Does anyone know when they started putting passport numbers there? I've had a Thai licence since 2539. Maybe they didn't do it then, and I've kept the ID number they originally gave me. ???

Terry

My ordinary licence (now expired), dated 2543 (7 years ago) showed my passport number.

I do not remember ever having to provide a copy of my licence when applying for insurance. Furthermore, Thai insurance is normally for the vehicle on an "any driver" basis: your argument therefore cannot hold since non-named drivers certainly do not provide a copy of their licence in advance.

you're right, i got a named driver license for me and my wife. costs less! but we had to supply the licenses.

No they dont ask in advance.. But if they think the driver is not legally licensed they can ask after a claim..

Gives them wiggle room to not pay.

Check in advance. Maybe get it in writing.

No they dont ask in advance.. But if they think the driver is not legally licensed they can ask after a claim..

Gives them wiggle room to not pay.

Check in advance. Maybe get it in writing.

That's why I recommended obtaining a Thai licence.

They won't issue Thai licences to tourist visa holders as of 1 Oct 06. Gotta have some form of 1 yr visa- work, business, investor, retirement, non-imm cat O, etc. You need to get a certificate of residence from immigration to take to Thai Motor Transport Dept. Some (not all) consulates will issue this document, depending on your nationality.

My 1 yr (provisional) licence clearly has my PP# on the line below my birthdate. I think some people are confused because the # is preceded by a 3 digit code, in my case "014", then the PP#

Absolutely believe everyone who lives here should get a Thai licence. Works like a charm at roadblocks..... :o