Non Immigrant Holders With Foreign Driving License

A foreign licence is NOT valid here under Thai law. An international licence (though it is issued for 12 months) is only valid in Thailand for 6 months (under the law).

90 days actually.

Is that 90 days from date of issue or 90 days from entering Thailand??

A foreign licence is NOT valid here under Thai law. An international licence (though it is issued for 12 months) is only valid in Thailand for 6 months (under the law).

90 days actually.

90 days from the date of entering Thailand.

90 days actually.

90 days from the date of entering Thailand.

So if you're doing visa runs on a multiple entry non-immigrant visa having an international driving licence is OK. You are not staying longer than 90 days because of the visa runs.

They won't issue Thai licences to tourist visa holders as of 1 Oct 06.

Driving licences have never been available to holders of Tourist Visas. ....and that's the truth.

I went to get my Thai licence last month at the Bang Lamung office and had no problems but while I was there I'm sure I read a notice saying that people with a tourist visa can renew their Thai licence but it will only be renewed for one year and not the five years we get with a one year non imm visa.

So if you're doing visa runs on a multiple entry non-immigrant visa having an international driving licence is OK. You are not staying longer than 90 days because of the visa runs.

As far as driving legally is concerned, yes you are correct.

This does not imply that the insurance will cough up if you don't have a Thai licence :o

If you are in this situation (non-immi + IDP) there is absolutely zero reason not to get a Thai licence :D

Correct. :o This 90-day IDP validity in Thailand is absurd isn't it?

Foreign DL is no valid.

International Drive License is valid. This is a international agreement, so they should not break it. Usally valid for one year, or some countrys for 3 year, but can use in Thailand only for 6 month. But im' not sure if you leave the country and come back on a new entry maybe it's valid again. Remind: Insurances allways try to find the way, to not pay. So make sure what is written on your insurance contract. Better using Foreign controlled insurances. Make sure that everyone can drive the vehicle. Some insurence pay only when two drivers are registered in the contract. That's mean noone else can drive the vehicle exept the two drivers who are registered in the insurance policy. By the way, if you have a non imm visa you can optain for a Thai drive license. Do it now, as long it's still easy to get. Who knows maybe things getting more difficult in the future.