Jellyfish warning

phuketsub

Just a heads up for fellow distance swimmers, if there are any in this forum.

I went swimming off the coast in Ranode District yesterday, and it turned out to be one of the worst in my life.

It was around 5:30pm and the first thing I noticed when I got in were tons of tiny shrimp everywhere...jumping out of the water and onto me. [My initial thought was 'I wish I had a net!']

Then the nose bridge of my goggles broke, so I started to walk back through the sand to get my backup pair.

I was only in a few feet of water when a tentacle hit both my ankles.

For a few hours last night it felt like I had had electric wires pulsing where I got hit, and I still have some residual pain this morning. 

I have been swimming Gulf Coast beaches for the past seven years and this is the worst I have ever had in that period.

I am not sure if this is just a local thing, but just wanted to share because I think conditions up and down the coast tend to be pretty much the same.

It'll probably be a while before I go back in up here....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is exactly why I don’t swim without good visibility. Only clear ocean water. I’m always scanning for jellyfish and sharks. If I’m at pattaya/hua hin. It’s the pool life for me.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, lust said:

This is exactly why I don’t swim without good visibility. Only clear ocean water. I’m always scanning for jellyfish and sharks. If I’m at pattaya/hua hin. It’s the pool life for me.

To each his own...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, phuketsub said:

Pretty rough swimming conditions out there, though.

I was going to say it must be choppy, can't imagine the water is very clean with all the rivers and klongs in full flow.

• Like 1

Yeah, the visibility is practically zero...but the water does seem relatively clean. BTW, I am going down to Songkhla Hospital  today for my flu shot (it's free for us old gits over 50 under the Thai social security system). Will probably stop by Sunset after. PM me if you want to join us...