Urinary Retention

Valentine

Having been afflicted with this I can say it is a frustrating & sometimes frightening experience. The symptoms leading up to basically total shutdown were exactly those of UTI. Anyway had a catheter inserted for one week along with a round of antibiotics. The freedom after the catheter was removed was fantastic but it transired after a gruelling day with just a little urine coming out at various intervals that I had to get a catheter again along with a course of anti inflammitories.

My question is this : how long should or can a catheter remain in place to aid in effective cure. GP did not really know as not his field of expertise although he has been trying to be most helpful. Urologist did not offer any thoughts as to cause & treatment but could only talk about having a biopsy which I am very reluctant to do because of a couple other health conditions which can make the procedure risky. Note an MRI just under 2 years ago where technician diagnosed prostate cancer which I had confirmed, based on the same MRI, by my doctor back home.

Appreciate any thoughts from those who have experienced this or from any medical personnel.

30 minutes ago, Valentine said:

My question is this : how long should or can a catheter remain in place to aid in effective cure.

Note an MRI just under 2 years ago where technician diagnosed prostate cancer which I had confirmed, based on the same MRI, by my doctor back home.

Appreciate any thoughts from those who have experienced this or from any medical personnel.

If it's due to prostate cancer, the answer will likely be not util the prostate is removed (or you're dead).

But I had exactly the same symptoms and was diagnosed with BPH and it was

1 week with catheter ...... didn't work so 1 month with catheter, after the month it was still a bit hard.

Combined with Doxazosin every day to help alleviate the symptoms for the rest of my life (or until the prostate surgically altered).

Over a year later everything works fine now as long as I keep taking the Doxazocin.

PS. I'm not sure I don't have prostate cancer.

Are you taking Doxazocin (or equivalent)?

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If it's due to prostate cancer, the answer will likely be not util the prostate is removed (or you're dead).

But I had exactly the same symptoms and was diagnosed with BPH and it was

1 week with catheter ...... didn't work so 1 month with catheter, after the month it was still a bit hard.

Combined with Doxazosin every day to help alleviate the symptoms for the rest of my life (or until the prostate surgically altered).

Over a year later everything works fine now as long as I keep taking the Doxazocin.

PS. I'm not sure I don't have prostate cancer.

Are you taking Doxazocin (or equivalent)?

Taking tamsulosin. Forgot to mention also have some small kidney stones on either side as seen by ultrasound