Extended Stay – Need Your Advice

Hi.

I will be in Thailand June & July then Sept and part of October.

I went to the Thai Consulate in New York today to request for a double entry tourist visa.

However, I was told only single entry 60 day visa are given at this time. So I recieved this visa. But I need to stay in Thailand for about 110 days.

Can I do the following?

June and July - use the 60 day single entry visa.

August - Go to Cambodia for a month (my original plan).

September – Return to Thailand. Get a 30 day visa stamp

October – Go to Philippines for 5 days.

October – Return to Thailand. Get a 30 day visa stamp. Return to New York on the 29th.

Will the above work getting a single entry tourist visa then two 30 day stamps. Or am I only allowed 90 days total in Thailand and cannot return in October.

Thanks.

Tom.

Hi.

I will be in Thailand June & July then Sept and part of October.

I went to the Thai Consulate in New York today to request for a double entry tourist visa.

However, I was told only single entry 60 day visa are given at this time. So I recieved this visa. But I need to stay in Thailand for about 110 days.

Can I do the following?

October – Return to Thailand. Get a 30 day visa stamp. Return to New York on the 29th.

Will the above work getting a single entry tourist visa then two 30 day stamps. Or am I only allowed 90 days total in Thailand and cannot return in October.

Thanks.

Tom.

The days on visa exempt entries in Thailand is supposed to be no more than 90 days within a 180 day period. The problem for many people, was how the immigration people counted the 180 day period. The days on a tourist visa are not supposed to be included in that 90 day count.

If you did encounter problems, you could obtain another tourist visa in a neighboring country. However, several people are reporting that Phnom Phen and I think also, Manila, aren't the most tourist friendly. But, for a one time application, they may not be a problem.

Can I do the following?

Based on everything that has been reported so far about the implementation of the limit of 90 visa-exempt days within 6 months, your plan should work without any problem. Your 6-month period will start on the day you enter Thailand in June and will end six months later. During this periods you are allowed a maximum of 90 days on visa-exempt entries, and you will not reach these 90 days.

What beechguy says about the difficulties of obtaining visas at the Thai embassies in Manila and Phnom Penh is true but this information is off-topic here and you can ignore it because you do not intend to apply for a visa at either of these embassies.

--

Maestro

Can I do the following?

Based on everything that has been reported so far about the implementation of the limit of 90 visa-exempt days within 6 months, your plan should work without any problem. Your 6-month period will start on the day you enter Thailand in June and will end six months later. During this periods you are allowed a maximum of 90 days on visa-exempt entries, and you will not reach these 90 days.

What beechguy says about the difficulties of obtaining visas at the Thai embassies in Manila and Phnom Penh is true but this information is off-topic here and you can ignore it because you do not intend to apply for a visa at either of these embassies.

--

Maestro

Hi.

Thanks for your advice.

One note I did not mentioned but your mention of the 6 motth rule it may be relevant.

On February 1st, 2007 I traveled to Thailand, then left for Cambodia February 2nd.

I stayed in Cambodia from February 2nd to the 28th 2007.

March 1st 2007, I return to Thailand from Cambodia and stayed 28 days.

Returned to New York on March 29th.

Will these previous days in Thailand be counted?

What can I do to stay for September and part of October?

Thanks.

Tom.

On February 1st, 2007 I traveled to Thailand, then left for Cambodia February 2nd.

I stayed in Cambodia from February 2nd to the 28th 2007.

March 1st 2007, I return to Thailand from Cambodia and stayed 28 days.

Returned to New York on March 29th.

Will these previous days in Thailand be counted?

What can I do to stay for September and part of October?

It means that your first 6-month period started on February 1 and will end on July 31. So let’s look at the visa-exempt days for this period:

1 FEB – 2 FEB: 2 days

1 MAR – 29 MAR: 30 days

Next visa-exempt entry in September (not June, as I wrongly stated in my earlier post). This is your new 6-month period. At the moment, there is no experience yet how Immigration will count the start of the new period, whether on August 1, ie immediately following the end of your first period, or on the date of your entry in September. In your case, it does not matter: either way your two visa-exempt entries, one in September, the other in October, will fall within the new 6-month period. No problem for you.

--

Maestro