Tipping At Buffet Breakfasts?

MMan

Do you leave a tip when eating a buffet breakfast that is

A. Included with your hotel room at no extra charge

B. Purchased by you for a set fee

I generally do not in situation A unless service is grand, though I don't know if that's the proper thing. Since a service charge is generally added to your hotel bill, and the bill covers breakfast, I suppose you could view it that you've already paid a tip.

I generally do leave a tip in situation B. I don't tip as much as I would with full service, but if the staff is friendly and keeps my coffee cup full, table clean and keeps the buffet well stocked, I'll leave at least 10% (adjusted for anything automatically included on the bill). If the staff is indifferent, I might not tip at all, or just leave a modest tip. Again, I'm not really sure what the expectations are here.

Most Thailand hotels include breakfast with the room. Since there is no bill, I'm never sure whether to tip or not. Generally I don't do it unless service is grand. I know a mandatory service charge is added to the hotel bill, so perhaps that should cover it.

Edited by MMan

Do the hotel staff get any of the 10% service charge? I doubt it but irrespective of that, I won't leave a tip if a service fee is charged, in fact, I won't usually eat at any establishment that imposes this fee.

At a breakfast buffet it is self service except for the person bringing around the extra coffee and the person clearing the plates from the table.

In Pattaya I occasionally have breakfast at the Apex Hotel. Here, the staff are very friendly and I will always leave a small tip, usually 20 baht.

If it's a buffet breakfast why tip? After all, you are providing most of the service yourself (even in some establishments getting your own tea/coffee).

If I'm paying 250 Euro a night I expect all normal service to be included.

The bar and/or restaurant in the evening is a different matter :o

I have got in the habit of tipping for good service - be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. A pleasant smile from a service person can go a long way, in my opinion.

I like to reward good service with a modest tip. Likewise - for average service - no tip.

Peter

Do the hotel staff get any of the 10% service charge? I doubt it but irrespective of that, I won't leave a tip if a service fee is charged, in fact, I won't usually eat at any establishment that imposes this fee.

At a breakfast buffet it is self service except for the person bringing around the extra coffee and the person clearing the plates from the table.

Agreed. I never tip where the 10% service charge is imposed. I don't like this fee too, it is imposed in most tourist-trap places and encourages resentment and bad service due to the surcharge not being divvied up fairly amongst staff by management.

Besides, who else gets pissed off with hotels that boast "English / American breakfasts" that actually serve up undercooked fried eggs; 1 slice of tasteless ham; and an exploded chipolata....? :o

I don't as a rule. The hotel workers I feel sorriest for are the room cleaners. The person who brings your bag to the room generally gets tip, the bar tender gets a tip, the chambermaid doesn't as a rule. We normally leave 50-100 baht in an envelope for them - not sure it gets there but the thought is there.

I don't as a rule. The hotel workers I feel sorriest for are the room cleaners. The person who brings your bag to the room generally gets tip, the bar tender gets a tip, the chambermaid doesn't as a rule. We normally leave 50-100 baht in an envelope for them - not sure it gets there but the thought is there.

I always try to give it to the chambermaid in person. Often a supervisor or someone from the front desk will check out the room to see if there are any mini-bar charges and they will take the tip if they see it. I know this happens.

Agreed. I never tip where the 10% service charge is imposed. I don't like this fee too, it is imposed in most tourist-trap places and encourages resentment and bad service due to the surcharge not being divvied up fairly amongst staff by management.

Besides, who else gets pissed off with hotels that boast "English / American breakfasts" that actually serve up undercooked fried eggs; 1 slice of tasteless ham; and an exploded chipolata....? :D

I try to avoid places that have the small writing at the bottom of the menu stating they are going to charge 10% service & 7% VAT on that for food items that are allready priced on the upper price threshold given the quality of establishment. Gives me the absolute sh!ts. :o

Soundman.

Edited by soundman

I'm always happy to tip the chambermaid and bar staff as long as I have received good service.

I'll usually tip the porter.

I will never tip staff for a buffet breakfast. As stated by Crossy, you are providing most of the service yourself.

Actually..regarding tipping: you know those little tip boxes that are in most cafe's? Do the staff really get the tips or does it go to the boss?

Something i have often wondered.

The breakfast buffet may be self serve but someone has to cook the food, someone has to deliver the food to the bain marie, someone has to wash the dishes, cutlery, glasses, someone has to re-fill the drink and milk dispenser etc. etc. ...so why not leave a small tip if you enjoyed the food (and the hidden service.)

Room maids deserve a tip, particularly if you stay at the hotel for more than one week. They are mostly scrupulously honest and will not touch any valuables (including your money) that you have carelessly left unsecured in your room. They should be the first person in the hotel that you get to know as they work on your floor most of the day and can keep an eye on your room during your absence.

Besides providing some measure of security to you, they also do a great job in keeping your mess tidy.

Room maids deserve a tip, particularly if you stay at the hotel for more than one week. They are mostly scrupulously honest and will not touch any valuables (including your money) that you have carelessly left unsecured in your room. They should be the first person in the hotel that you get to know as they work on your floor most of the day and can keep an eye on your room during your absence.

Besides providing some measure of security to you, they also do a great job in keeping your mess tidy.

Agreed.

Unfortunately for them, it is quite easy for cheap charlies to ignore them as they don't know if you have tipped them until you have checked out.

I give them a tip directly as if you leave it in the room, the bellboy will often check you out and then come back and look for their tips and steal them.

Agreed.

Unfortunately for them, it is quite easy for cheap charlies to ignore them as they don't know if you have tipped them until you have checked out.

I give them a tip directly as if you leave it in the room, the bellboy will often check you out and then come back and look for their tips and steal them.

Right on.

I often tip the room cleaners more than most other people in a hotel. The size of the tip is in proportion to how long I have stayed & how much I have fuc%e! up the room. :o

Cheers,

Soundman.

Actually..regarding tipping: you know those little tip boxes that are in most cafe's? Do the staff really get the tips or does it go to the boss?

Having read your post, I remember reading an article somewhere (??) that the 10% service charge or whatever amount may not be necessary be distributed to the service staff. As a matter of fact, it is kept by the establishment as way of re-imbursing (the establishment) of the cost of employing service staffs to provide the service to the customers.

However, additional side tips are for the service staffs.

Personally, I would give a tip so long as the service is good. Just that little extra for him/her to bring home. You can see the smile of their gratitude on their faces, and you know you have make someone happy that day. It makes mine too. :o

Having read your post, I remember reading an article somewhere (??) that the 10% service charge or whatever amount may not be necessary be distributed to the service staff. As a matter of fact, it is kept by the establishment as way of re-imbursing (the establishment) of the cost of employing service staffs to provide the service to the customers.

I have found that because of our tipping culture most businesses owned by Americans will give ALL tips to the staff, other nationalities are iffy.- especially Asians. I think that it should be illegal to charge for service unless it goes dirrectly to employees. To many employers use it to avoid paying a fair wage! :o

The breakfast buffet may be self serve but someone has to cook the food, someone has to deliver the food to the bain marie, someone has to wash the dishes, cutlery, glasses, someone has to re-fill the drink and milk dispenser etc. etc. ...so why not leave a small tip if you enjoyed the food (and the hidden service.)

Mighty Mouse, thank goodness someone is thinking. For all you "we do most of the work at the breakfast buffet" afficianados - when was the last time you got up at 3 in the morning to bake the bread & croissants, lay out the tables, cut the fruit, cook the hot food etc etc? Hauling your asses out of your chair for one more helping is not doing most of the work, believe me.

I give at least 10% of the bill, if I am satisfied with the service, anywhere, be it bar, hairdresser, restaurant, buffet breakfast, whatever. Service charge is not usually given to wait staff in Western countries, what makes you think it will be given to them here? And, as for the 10 or 20 bt tip, "because I leave it up to my wife", brigade - that's just an excuse to be cheap & blame someone else. If you're happy, give a decent tip. If not, give nothing.

Edit - if you are particularly impressed with one member of staff, give the tip directly (& discreetly) to them. as you leave. Clasp their hand & pass the money. That way you know it's going to the person you want it to.

Edited by November Rain

Mighty Mouse, thank goodness someone is thinking. For all you "we do most of the work at the breakfast buffet" afficianados - when was the last time you got up at 3 in the morning to bake the bread & croissants, lay out the tables, cut the fruit, cook the hot food etc etc? Hauling your asses out of your chair for one more helping is not doing most of the work, believe me.

I give at least 10% of the bill, if I am satisfied with the service, anywhere, be it bar, hairdresser, restaurant, buffet breakfast, whatever. Service charge is not usually given to wait staff in Western countries, what makes you think it will be given to them here? And, as for the 10 or 20 bt tip, "because I leave it up to my wife", brigade - that's just an excuse to be cheap & blame someone else. If you're happy, give a decent tip. If not, give nothing.

Edit - if you are particularly impressed with one member of staff, give the tip directly (& discreetly) to them. as you leave. Clasp their hand & pass the money. That way you know it's going to the person you want it to.

Excellent advise. If you believe the staff in general get anywhere near the 10%, well I am surprised you had the gumption to leave your home town. I never tip "poor" service , but buffet or no, the smile and the helping hand are part of the experience, tip.

That is not always the case. I know that in some foreign hotel chains the staff gets 50 percent of the service charges collected.

Anyway I always tip if the service is good. A younger sister of my wife works as chamber maid in one of the hotels on Soi Bokao. She always brings the foreign coins and bills that she gets, to me to check if there worth anything. A complete disgrace. Recently a dutch couple that had stayed for 2 weeks, gave her with much fanfare a 10 Guilders note. These Guilders have been taken out of circulation in 2002! :o

onzestan

Sorry, Nov, but I was born and bred in the service industry and I don't think tips should be reliant on things like cooking food, cutting fruit, etc. That's what I pay for when I pay the bill, chai mai?

For me tipping is service, nothing more, nothing less - I was a dish-washer for most of the time I was a student and altough a dirty plate will stop a tip, a clean plate shouldn't deserve one...

I'm glad you have the cash to pay 10%, on my Thai wages I couldn't afford to do that. If every customer left a 20 baht tip then service staff would be doing well - fall out on the non-tippers, they are stingy batsards...

I too have wondered aboutthe 10% service charge. I know that a lot of people feel that this is the tip included. I recently asked a friend,Thai BTW who owns a very well known Bangkok hotel about the service charge as it came up in dinner conversation.

He told me that the staff get none of the service charge, that's right none,not one baht. He said that the service charge goes to cover broken plates, glasses etc, and stolen items like cutlery,towels ,ashtrays ,etc. He also indicated without this the prices of everything would have to go up to cover these losses. I would think that this is a a fairly common practice . So... I am a bit more inclined to tip these days especially where there is a ++.

LL

To me it seems you guys are talking about a lot of money. I tip but I don't go out of my way to tip every needy worker I can think of.

After tipping the hotel maid, the doorman, the waiters for breakfast lunch and dinner, the taxi driver, the bartender and the general workers who ask for tips..... Well lets just say that if I had to go about tipping all the folks you guys mention I would run out of money and fun very quickly.

The thread is about tipping at a buffet, food preparation is required regardless, but at a buffet you are seated and go and serve yourself, so I do not go out to buffets when dining ut and when on occasion I do tip, myself.

The tip cups in Starbucks et. al. are ridiculous, they are just giving you what you ordered while you stand and wait

I have never tipped at a buffet breakfast

I always leave some loose change for the chambermaid, whether or not she gets it is another matter, and never crossed my mind before, will try and give it to her personally next time