Tipping At Buffet Breakfasts?

MMan

As a rule, no.. I don't tip at a buffet unless something is done that is tip-worthy and that is fully dependant on the person who is busing the table and if at Breakfast there is a person cooking eggs to order... They may get a tip.

When in Thailand I try to tip as the Thai people tip... When in Rome and all that stuff....... (Meaning I don't over tip.. 20 baht tip MAX!).

Room maids deserve a tip, particularly if you stay at the hotel for more than one week. They are mostly scrupulously honest and will not touch any valuables (including your money) that you have carelessly left unsecured in your room. They should be the first person in the hotel that you get to know as they work on your floor most of the day and can keep an eye on your room during your absence.

Besides providing some measure of security to you, they also do a great job in keeping your mess tidy.

Agreed.

Unfortunately for them, it is quite easy for cheap charlies to ignore them as they don't know if you have tipped them until you have checked out.

I give them a tip directly as if you leave it in the room, the bellboy will often check you out and then come back and look for their tips and steal them.

Spent nearly 3weeks in hotel and I always tip the maid. I think last stay nearly 600bht and I gave it directly to her. She nearly jumped on me and gave me the biggest hug. Apparently I was first tip she'd seen in a few days of check-outs and quite generous. It made her day and I think I value this far more than what I gave.

Its a very thankless job, and they appreciate it far more than you realize.

Anyways I tip on buffets, wait staff normally serve drinks/clear that alone is worth 10 bht. :o

When I eat at KFC in BKK, I will leave 10 baht on the tray as a "Thank you for cleaning up my mess" tip.

As a rule, no.. I don't tip at a buffet unless something is done that is tip-worthy and that is fully dependant on the person who is busing the table and if at Breakfast there is a person cooking eggs to order... They may get a tip.

When in Thailand I try to tip as the Thai people tip... When in Rome and all that stuff....... (Meaning I don't over tip.. 20 baht tip MAX!).

i was yelled at by several for tipping someone because it was a self service thing... but i didn't know beacuse someone had to clean our mess up... i gave the girl some money and she single-handedly refused it, and i'm like what? so i asked the people i was with and they said who would tip at places like this?! so i have to rid my tipping habbit when i'm out of the US.

but then when i go to restaurants that aren't self serve i'll leave a nice tip if the server is friendly and services us well.

I know I'm a bad guy for this, but we tip from zero to about 200 baht for buffet breakfasts, depending on the service. Bad service gets about 10-20 baht, super bad gets nothing, and then it goes up from there to 200 baht for a heimlich maneuver or removing an errant fork from my thigh (have never been good with silverware, dammit). We also always leave about 5% or so of the hotel bill for the maid, unless she was terrible.

Recognize this makes me part of the inflation causing crowd, but it feels right to me. Guess I better not vacation in a poor part of India, huh. By the time I got to the airport I'd be naked except for the bandages over the silverware wounds on my thighs. Ooh, sorry, not a pretty picture...

I know I'm a bad guy for this, but we tip from zero to about 200 baht for buffet breakfasts, depending on the service. Bad service gets about 10-20 baht, super bad gets nothing, and then it goes up from there to 200 baht for a heimlich maneuver or removing an errant fork from my thigh (have never been good with silverware, dammit). We also always leave about 5% or so of the hotel bill for the maid, unless she was terrible.

Recognize this makes me part of the inflation causing crowd, but it feels right to me. Guess I better not vacation in a poor part of India, huh. By the time I got to the airport I'd be naked except for the bandages over the silverware wounds on my thighs. Ooh, sorry, not a pretty picture...

I don't think there is a big difference between India and Thailand (talking about poor People). But anyway, tipping at a buffet is just out of Question, at least for me. If you like to tip for every little fart, you sould include all People in the background too. What's about the Laundry, Secretary in the Back Office, Window Cleaner............ Thailand was (and still is for the non touristic part) a non tipping Country till ......., ok, I want bash a specific Country now.