Tis a La Ninya year but we are doing OK for rain.

7 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

WOW!  When you see the setup it really puts it in perspective.  Those stainless steel tanks would hold way more than an ong.  

Starting about 5:15 pm it rained last night till the witching hour.  We haven't got anymore storage so the water just runs away.

Actually the stainless steel tank hold about 3,000 litres each, or as much as 2 ongs (1,700 litres but only about 1,500 litres of usable water. The problem is the cost. We bought the big tanks in 2001 and they cost about 13,000 thb each, whereas the ongs were about 1,000 baht each.

I have added 3 more photos.

1 I moved the tanks here several years ago. The filler pipe is disconected as we don't get enough rain for long enough. It is raining now but just a fine steady rain and no use for filling the tanks.

2 Where I put the filters.

3 The filters I use at 140 thb each. A new one ans the first one I used after only 10 days.

IMG_20200821_125130.jpg

IMG_20200821_125200.jpg

IMG_20200821_125324.jpg

This is interesting indeed. Have you thought of using some sort of settlement tank/sand filter to clean the water before it goes through your filters? You are asking a lot to pump water through a small diameter pipe, it is moving very quickly, little wonder it is a short life on the filters. 

It looks like you have a decent size roof area near the stainless tanks that should yield a lot of water even in light rain. We have a standard Isaan 8*6 metre house which we have built a 5 mt wide verandah on one corner down two sides. Collecting rain from half the house roof and both verandah roofs yields 4,000 litres per hour under good rain. Currently about 500 to 1000 litres with this light rain. The guttering feeds 4" pipes which flow into 3 concrete ring tanks in the ground plumbed in series of about 3,000 litres each. These rings are full of stone and sand and the water soaks into the ground.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

Actually the stainless steel tank hold about 3,000 litres each, or as much as 2 ongs (1,700 litres but only about 1,500 litres of usable water. The problem is the cost. We bought the big tanks in 2001 and they cost about 13,000 thb each, whereas the ongs were about 1,000 baht each.

I have added 3 more photos.

1 I moved the tanks here several years ago. The filler pipe is disconected as we don't get enough rain for long enough. It is raining now but just a fine steady rain and no use for filling the tanks.

2 Where I put the filters.

3 The filters I use at 140 thb each. A new one ans the first one I used after only 10 days.

IMG_20200821_125130.jpg

IMG_20200821_125200.jpg

IMG_20200821_125324.jpg

OMG!  After 10 days your filter looks like that!  You'd be better off with a sand filter then a Big Blue.  We have 2 Big Blues.  One for Hong Nam and washing machine and another for down stairs guest room and kitchen.  After 3 months the filter element is nowhere near that dirty.  I usually clean once and then install a new one after 2 months.  I got a box of 20 filters off an Aliexpress seller a few years back for Au$6.80 each delivered here. But cannot find another seller with such good price.  I got one left!  Maybe a TVF reader or poster can point me in the right direction???

IMG20200822110354.jpg

Edited by Grumpy John
Smelling
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

This is interesting indeed. Have you thought of using some sort of settlement tank/sand filter to clean the water before it goes through your filters? You are asking a lot to pump water through a small diameter pipe, it is moving very quickly, little wonder it is a short life on the filters. 

It looks like you have a decent size roof area near the stainless tanks that should yield a lot of water even in light rain. We have a standard Isaan 8*6 metre house which we have built a 5 mt wide verandah on one corner down two sides. Collecting rain from half the house roof and both verandah roofs yields 4,000 litres per hour under good rain. Currently about 500 to 1000 litres with this light rain. The guttering feeds 4" pipes which flow into 3 concrete ring tanks in the ground plumbed in series of about 3,000 litres each. These rings are full of stone and sand and the water soaks into the ground.

Yer,  a sand Filter would be worth the expense.  We have had over 61mm in the village over the last 2 days.  No more room to store water. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

OMG!  After 10 days your filter looks like that!  You'd be better off with a sand filter then a Big Blue.  We have 2 Big Blues.  One for Hong Nam and washing machine and another for down stairs guest room and kitchen.  After 3 months the filter element is nowhere near that dirty.  I usually clean once and then install a new one after 2 months.  I got a box of 20 filters off an Aliexpress seller a few years back for Au$6.80 each delivered here. But cannot find another seller with such good price.  I got one left!  Maybe a TVF reader or poster can point me in the right direction???

IMG20200822110354.jpg

The dirty one was after about 5 months of water deliveries by the fire truck. The first filters last about 3 weeks or so now that we are back on the main supply again. The second filer lasts 4 or 5 weeks now.

• Like 1