Getting the GF back to UK

uncle_tom

I returned to the UK on March 23rd. My other half stayed back in Thailand for what was supposed to be a fortnight because a cousin was being invested as a monk - and she's been stuck there ever since..

It doesn't help that her family compare the Covid stats between the LoS and UK and worry she'll catch the bug here. It also doesn't help that virtually her entire family work or have worked for Thai Airways, and the idea of flying with anyone else is anathema. However, as Thai are still dysfunctional on the international front, I've talked her round to the idea of flying with another carrier, probably Lufthansa.

Her family are still being difficult however, and are picking up on every rumour going around.

There's a good recent thread here to counter the notion that once she's left Thailand, getting back will be really hard.

However, does anyone have a link to guidance on what hoops she has to jump through to fly out of the LoS now, that is bang up to date? There is so much stuff out there and so much has changed over the last few months, it's hard to know what is current. The UK end is simple - it's getting her onto a plane I need to be clear about..

To fly from Thailand to the UK, all you friend needs is a UK visa in her passport and an airline ticket. If Thai airways has no flights or no seat available, there are other airlines but may involve a stopover with a flight change.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 12:03 AM, Upnotover said:

TG had/have 3 flights TG916 BKK>LHR in August that can/could be booked by anyone.  Still 2 left, tomorrow and 23/08.  They may have more next month.  Shame her family couldn't have worked that out for her.  I have not read of any hoops to jump or restrictions other than masks, gloves, etc.  EVA fly direct every Sunday and as you've mentioned there are other alternatives.  So I think as long as she has a valid visa she's good to go.

She would of course need to register the address she's staying at in the UK with the UKBA, travel directly there, and self isolate at that address for fourteen days, not leaving the house for any reason, including exercise, shopping or going to the pub, the only exception being a medical emergency.

A friend of mine flew to CDG on an Eva flight on Friday, he said leaving BKK required a lot of paperwork and procedures, though the transit in Taipei was easy as was the arrival in Paris. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 12:07 AM, Puccini said:

To fly from Thailand to the UK, all you friend needs is a UK visa in her passport and an airline ticket. If Thai airways has no flights or no seat available, there are other airlines but may involve a stopover with a flight change.

Thai Airways international flights are grounded until further notice because of the bankruptcy. 

On 8/17/2020 at 1:36 PM, Max69xl said:

Thai Airways international flights are grounded until further notice because of the bankruptcy. 

Yes but they, or some of their aircraft and crews,are being used for special repatriation flights. Pretty sure I saw one to Sydney a day or so ago and one to China yesterday. If you check out the Suvarnabhumi airport live flight status page of their website you will see not only some TG flights from time to time but what other international operators are actually coming in and going out. Not do many. I'm due out on an AirFrance flight to Paris on Sunday. At the moment they operate 2 a week. Fingers crossed mine does depart AND my wife and I are on it!  KLM are operating daily to Amsterdam. I've seen Eva Air to London, Lufthansa to Munich, Austrian Airlines to Vienna plus Finnair. Emirates, Etihad, Qatar flights out.