In-Thailand Visa Change From Tourist To Non-B (For Teachers)

Hi there all, lovable TV peeps! I appreciate to have the info or the list of requirements re changing tourist visa (after amnesty) to non-immi B inside Thailand as per the Ministry of Education memo. I would also be glad if someone could provide info re any restrictions on nationality. Last time I heard before C19, Africans (except South Africans perhaps) aren't allowed to do it. It's info really needed from my side as of the moment, so anything shared would be of great help. Always love this forum!

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-B): WORKING AS A TEACHER IN THAILANDThe application must be submit more than 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

1. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or
    1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.
  2. A copy of passport pages (for example, personal information page, last entries stamp, visa sticker and extension stamp (if any) and departure card (Form TM.6))
  3. Either one 4×6 cm photograph or one 2 inch size photograph
  4. Application fee of Baht 2,000
  5. To be a teacher in a government school or university
    5.1 A cooperation letter from the dean (or higher) of university or from the director of academic institute lower than university for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    5.2 A cooperation letter from the relevant department attached to the Ministry of Education or from the governor in the case of academic institute lower than university or from the office of educational service area for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    5.3 An employment certification form (Labor Department Application Form)
    5.4 A copy of the employment contract (effective on the date of the application)
    5.5 The Applicant’s educational degree certificate (must be translated into Thai or English and certified by local or overseas Embassy or Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalization Division, Ministry of  Foreign Affairs of Thailand) (For more information, please call 0-2575-1056-9), not less than Bachelor’s degree, academic transcript and evidence of TOEIC scores.
  6. To be a teacher in a private school or university
    6.1 A cooperation letter from the dean (or higher) of university or from the director of academic institute lower than university for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    6.2 A cooperation letter from the relevant department attached to the Ministry of Education or from the governor in the case of academic institute lower than university or from the office of educational service area for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    6.3 A letter from the principal or the manager of the International school (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    6.4 An employment certification form (Labor Department Application Form)
    6.5 A copy of the employment contract (effective on the date of the application)
    6.6 The Applicant’s educational degree certificate, not less than Bachelor’s degree (must be translated into Thai or English and certified by local or overseas Embassy or Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalization Division, Ministry of  Foreign Affairs of Thailand) (For more information, please call 0-2575-1056-9), academic transcript and evidence of TOEIC scores.
    6.7 A copy of the license for establishment of the academic institute
    6.8 A copy of the license to perform duty as management, manager, principal and director or the academic institute

Remarks

1.  The Applicant must appear in person every time.
2.   The Applicant must sign to certify on every page of the Applicant’s documents.
3.   The university or school authorized signatory must sign to certify all documents and have them stamped with
the university or school’s official seal on every page.
4.    To be convenient and for speedy service, the Applicant for visa or visa status alteration must arrange and
submit a complete set of documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.
5.   For more details, please visit our website at http://bangkok.immigration.go.th

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aidenai said:

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-B): WORKING AS A TEACHER IN THAILANDThe application must be submit more than 15 days before visa expiration and ...

Wow ... thanks!!!! So, any nationality? And, are these the latest based on your experience? Thanks for further clarification. Love and thanks again!

On 8/16/2020 at 2:37 PM, debbiedebbie said:

Wow ... thanks!!!! So, any nationality? And, are these the latest based on your experience? Thanks for further clarification. Love and thanks again!

For NNES, a TOEIC is needed, the translation of your Non- English Bachelor into Thai, or English and authenticated/verified.

Every labor department in Thailand seems to have its own laws and regulations, so please be prepared.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

For NNES, a TOEIC is needed, the translation of your Non- English Bachelor into Thai, or English and authenticated/verified.

Every labor department in Thailand seems to have its own laws and regulations, so please be prepared.

Correct. South Africa is not considered to be a English speaking country by Thailand anymore. Although it's constitution states that there are 11 official languages, English is very much the Lingua Franca. It is the primary medium of instruction in schools, in commerce, in the justice system, and government at all levels. However, this is not good enough for Thailand, hence the requirement that South African passport holders wanting to teach in Thailand need to demonstrate  their English  language proficiency via the TOIEC route. I stand under correction , but I believe that Ireland has also been deemed to not be an English speaking country either. What I personally find somewhat ridiculous is the need to repeat this test every two years,  their reason being, to check that you have not lost your ability to speak English in this period. 

In my case, what is even more puzzling is that I have a BA TESOL degree, but this does not seem to carry any weight.

Edited by oompie69
content
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 2:37 PM, debbiedebbie said:

It's 21 days before the tourist visa or the visa exempt expires at several immigration offices. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 8:17 PM, oompie69 said:

Correct. South Africa is not considered to be a English speaking country by Thailand anymore. Although it's constitution states that there are 11 official languages, English is very much the Lingua Franca. It is the primary medium of instruction in schools, in commerce, in the justice system, and government at all levels. However, this is not good enough for Thailand, hence the requirement that South African passport holders wanting to teach in Thailand need to demonstrate  their English  language proficiency via the TOIEC route. I stand under correction , but I believe that Ireland has also been deemed to not be an English speaking country either. What I personally find somewhat ridiculous is the need to repeat this test every two years,  their reason being, to check that you have not lost your ability to speak English in this period. 

In my case, what is even more puzzling is that I have a BA TESOL degree, but this does not seem to carry any weight.

It's similar to some non- accredited universities. Some excellent European, American, and British universities are not on their list, and they sometimes refuse such a degree.

Why someone has to repeat a TOEIC with a higher score is unbelievable. Especially when these people are teaching for xx years.

I've met teachers with a TOEIC score of 385 points, who wouldn't get hired as a flight attendant. IMO, there should be a minimum of 600 points/score or similar.

It wasn't very long ago when (too) many Thai English teachers had to sit the CEFR test and failed badly.

A weekend seminar, held by foreign teachers then "solved the issue" and they passed. 

But such things can happen when you have soldiers in the most critical positions.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 11:44 AM, aidenai said:

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-B): WORKING AS A TEACHER IN THAILANDThe application must be submit more than 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

1. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or
    1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.
  2. A copy of passport pages (for example, personal information page, last entries stamp, visa sticker and extension stamp (if any) and departure card (Form TM.6))
  3. Either one 4×6 cm photograph or one 2 inch size photograph
  4. Application fee of Baht 2,000
  5. To be a teacher in a government school or university
    5.1 A cooperation letter from the dean (or higher) of university or from the director of academic institute lower than university for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    5.2 A cooperation letter from the relevant department attached to the Ministry of Education or from the governor in the case of academic institute lower than university or from the office of educational service area for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    5.3 An employment certification form (Labor Department Application Form)
    5.4 A copy of the employment contract (effective on the date of the application)
    5.5 The Applicant’s educational degree certificate (must be translated into Thai or English and certified by local or overseas Embassy or Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalization Division, Ministry of  Foreign Affairs of Thailand) (For more information, please call 0-2575-1056-9), not less than Bachelor’s degree, academic transcript and evidence of TOEIC scores.
  6. To be a teacher in a private school or university
    6.1 A cooperation letter from the dean (or higher) of university or from the director of academic institute lower than university for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    6.2 A cooperation letter from the relevant department attached to the Ministry of Education or from the governor in the case of academic institute lower than university or from the office of educational service area for visa or visa status alteration (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    6.3 A letter from the principal or the manager of the International school (Attention: Immigration Commissioner, with the same date of the application)
    6.4 An employment certification form (Labor Department Application Form)
    6.5 A copy of the employment contract (effective on the date of the application)
    6.6 The Applicant’s educational degree certificate, not less than Bachelor’s degree (must be translated into Thai or English and certified by local or overseas Embassy or Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalization Division, Ministry of  Foreign Affairs of Thailand) (For more information, please call 0-2575-1056-9), academic transcript and evidence of TOEIC scores.
    6.7 A copy of the license for establishment of the academic institute
    6.8 A copy of the license to perform duty as management, manager, principal and director or the academic institute

Remarks

1.  The Applicant must appear in person every time.
2.   The Applicant must sign to certify on every page of the Applicant’s documents.
3.   The university or school authorized signatory must sign to certify all documents and have them stamped with
the university or school’s official seal on every page.
4.    To be convenient and for speedy service, the Applicant for visa or visa status alteration must arrange and
submit a complete set of documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.
5.   For more details, please visit our website at http://bangkok.immigration.go.th

So to clarify, given the circumstances concerning Covid -19 and the amnesty agreement, it is still possible for those on a tourist Visa to convert to a non-b, provided all the necessary documentation is in order?

22 hours ago, Deserted said:

So to clarify, given the circumstances concerning Covid -19 and the amnesty agreement, it is still possible for those on a tourist Visa to convert to a non-b, provided all the necessary documentation is in order?

Yes, it is possible. A colleague of mine did it last Monday at Immigration HQ in Bangkok. What she got was a 90 days stamp based on employment.

On 8/30/2020 at 12:15 AM, teacherclaire said:

<snipped>

Why someone has to repeat a TOEIC with a higher score is unbelievable. Especially when these people are teaching for xx years.

I've met teachers with a TOEIC score of 385 points, who wouldn't get hired as a flight attendant. IMO, there should be a minimum of 600 points/score or similar.

<snipped>

I am surprised.  I did admin work for a group of schools, some in BKK and some in the provinces.   In BKK they were not approved with a score less than 600 and if I remember correctly in the provinces it was 550 or better.

18 hours ago, Mambowoman said:

Yes, it is possible. A colleague of mine did it last Monday at Immigration HQ in Bangkok. What she got was a 90 days stamp based on employment.

May I ask how long the whole process took, and were they expected to pay for it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Indeed, a few years back I nearly took a job at a govt school out in the provinces, because they wanted to hire a South African, who could not get a new Non-B without returning home.

I passed the interview, then later was told they were able to take the South African as he had somehow resolved his visa issue in country. Hmm.

Regarding the current Covid situation, me and several other teachers endured an agonizing process waiting on the visa amnesty, then making several trips to immigration, getting “under consideration” stamps, then finally a “real stamp” that many now have to November 30th, which should finally be converted to Non-B.