wi fi speeds ??

mercman24

some advice please, i am with 3bb, with router at my OLD CONDO speeds of 78/27, just moved to NEW CONDO (3 days now) with wi fi, my phone is showing 23/42 (no probs) via my set top box i get readings of 4.50/22.4 it seems fine, no stalling/buffering, a mate said i would suffer with LIVE PROGS but i watched F1 and MOTO GP, yesterday,  no probs, my 3BB needs to be paid 20th AUGUST (pay yearly) 7000 baht i cannot understand why speeds are so low yet having no problems ? do i stick with this set up and save myself 7000, ha ha (the wi fi router is outside my door if that helps) (just seems to good to be true)

Using a communal building WiFi is never a good thing. Besides being a security risk, you're competing with all the other local network user for access and speed. While I might use it in a pinch it's much preferred to have your own dedicated line coming to your condo.

The set top box is likely suffering from signal issues, especially if it doesn't have an external antenna. WiFi tends to work best when the device signal path isn't blocked by dense solid or metallic objects, and a set top box works even better when it can be connected directly to the router using a physical Ethernet cable.

42 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

700 per month on fibre...

he's asking about wifi, not ethernet

for OP, I'd get my own package and use a cable 100% of the time

ethernet:

image.png.bf9ffa33336e76af949c3ff3e78270a0.png

wifi:

image.png.80a1541307d291b3b473a6c85b8b7578.png

Edited by kekalot

On 8/16/2020 at 11:46 AM, mercman24 said:

some advice please, i am with 3bb, with router at my OLD CONDO speeds of 78/27, just moved to NEW CONDO (3 days now)

Can you describe the package to which you subscribe?

Personally I wouldn't prepay, even with a significant discount. That puts you at a serious disadvantage.

Can you describe the type of connection made to your router? It may be some sort of legacy VDSL (fiber to the building, copper to the room).

Can you give the router make and model?

Are you able to connect a wired device (PC) to the router?

I mean, the obvious solution is to call 3BB. The (new condo) line may not be provisoned correctly, than can be done from the office. Or techs can be dispatched. In my many years supporting 3BB installs they have ALWAYS been responsive. Usually same day.