Convert visa amnesty to Non-O based on Thai child in Chiang Mai

Hi there. I'm asking for a friend: Is it possible to apply for a Non-O visa based on having a Thai child inside Thailand, more specifically in Chiang Mai? My friend arrived on visa exemption that he extended by 30 days at immigration. Then he went on visa amnesty. He has a Thai son (baby age) but didn't legitimize him at court yet. His name is on the birth certificate. If it's not possible to obtain a visa, would he be able to apply for a 60-day extension based on visiting Thai family in Chiang Mai? 

I found that different immigration offices handle this matter in a different way. Do you have any first-hand experience?

Thanks.

Thanks, guys. I just realized I posted in the wrong forum. Oops. I hope a moderator will come around and move this post.

The problem is that my friend cannot even open a bank account right now as he has no more real (non-amnesty) days left on his stay. This is like what comes first the chicken or the egg... I understand that he will have to deposit 400,000 Bt in the bank, but that's hard to do without a bank account... Banks want a certificate of residency. I heard that one's embassy (in this case - USA) can issue one in addition to the one issued by the immigration office. Would the bank accept a certificate of residency by an embassy? Also, does the money have to be seasoned for a certain period of time before applying for a Non-O?

If the mother of the child agrees to share legal custody, how long does the legitimization process at court take?