Any issues using smartboard instead of gyprock (plasterboard) on ceiling

bbabythai

On our second floor of the building we have a very low ceiling height as it is. We have new wiring for downlights and the gyprock guy will soon install the new ceilings with 9mm gypsum plasterboard on 1st and 2nd floor. I thought to save some space I could ask him to use 4mm smartboard instead. Any issues with this? Will it look ok? The elec guy can still cut holes for the downlights. Anyone have experience with this

thanks

You are talking cement board and this was/is normally used for ceilings here.  It is not easy to work with and often has an unfinished look.  It also acts are a great heat transfer material if used in a ceiling - make very sure you have extra insulation above it.  Also is a great sounding board and will transfer noise.  It is useful for areas that could be damaged by rain or other water leaks.Most people are turning to gypsum for a reason - I would not use unless for rain damage protection.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You want to save 5mm????? 5555555555

ask him for his input.

I think your missing the point slightly. 

As I said above, the ceiling height is really low. Im not far off hitting my head on the aluminium frame as it is. 

For this reason I think it is actually worth saving 5mm!!!!

• Haha 1

Smartboard is a mixture of cement and wood fibers. It act a little as wood, will shrink and expand with moisture difference. You will see cracks between them in dry season. If you paint white it will be clearly seen.

DS8_0735.jpg.ad77aad216184715f11bb30e87a3c903.jpg

My workshop sealing after a few years. 120 x 240 cm 4 mm smartboard. They move so much it cracks around edges where the screws are. With smaller boards 60 cm it becomes less of a problem but still visible.

12 hours ago, bbabythai said:
15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You want to save 5mm????? 5555555555

ask him for his input.

I think your missing the point slightly. 

As I said above, the ceiling height is really low. Im not far off hitting my head on the aluminium frame as it is. 

For this reason I think it is actually worth saving 5mm!!!!

I’m not missing the point. If 5mm is so important then you need to do something about the frame it’s going to be fitted to or rethink your ceiling plans. 

If your idea of a reasonable ceiling design is one where just standing up will hit your head on it unless you gain 5mm you have bigger problems and should redesign it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I’m not missing the point. If 5mm is so important then you need to do something about the frame it’s going to be fitted to or rethink your ceiling plans. 

If your idea of a reasonable ceiling design is one where just standing up will hit your head on it unless you gain 5mm you have bigger problems and should redesign it.

In that regard if you have normal cement beam construction you can just cover the beams and have recessed ceilings between the beams and provide a much better feeling.