Steep Fines For Cheats

chevykanteve

19 traders taken action against by Internal Trade Department

The Internal Trade Department has taken legal action against 19 traders after finding they had been overpricing, cheating on measurements or using substandard packaging.

Siripol Yodmuangchareon, director-general of the department, said Wednesday the traders were fined a total of Bt42,300. Ten of the traders were in upcountry areas and the rest in Bangkok. They were mainly found to have not shown the price of goods or had quoted prices that were too high.

Illegal trading activities which hurt consumers would be subjected to serious punishment, he said. Consumers who want to file complaints against illegal trading practices can call the department direct on 1569.

The Nation

Wow! 42,300 baht TOTAL for 19 traders. That amounts to 2,226 Baht each! That should teach them! And I'm glad that this gutful (NOT gutless) newspaper had the courage to name the type of businesses involved. Well, at least we know that those businesses are "up-country". That's a big help for all the consumers. Hey, Nation, thanks for such informative "breaking news"!!!

A drop in the bucket :o

A drop? A DROP??? Try two molecules only of hydrogen and one only of oxygen. We are talking tiny..... we are talking the essence... no, the quintessence... of MINUTE!!

But I'm getting carried away, so I'll stop. Sorry for the outburst.