US Citizens: Social Security gone by 2023?

This is not hyperbole.  The President of the USA is promising to eliminate the payroll tax if he's reelected.  The problem is the payroll tax funds social security. 

[“On the assumption I win, we are going to be terminating the payroll tax after the beginning of the new year,” Trump said during a White House press briefing two weeks ago.]

[The Social Security trust fund could be depleted by 2023 if President Trump were to permanently eliminate the payroll tax and not offer a replacement revenue source, the chief actuary of the Social Security Administration said Monday.]

[If the tax is eliminated permanently, the White House official said there will be no way to fund Social Security....]

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/permanent-payroll-tax-cut-could-deplete-social-securty-funds-by-2023

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm sure he'll "replace" it with something?

Cake perhaps?

Not certain the/a president can do this? Congress and all that. But a monarch could, so there's that.

Yes, I don't see how Trump can possibly get this through the Congress.  But he's been able to do some hanky panky with Executive Orders, his Treasury Secretary, so on.  It's probably a Trump ploy for the elections.  But we know how his pea-brain works.  He figures there are more working people than retirees.  So he'll tell them he'd cut their taxes and the pensioners won't notice!