Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

I love the black. Makes the bike absolutely sii dahm. I had to paste some HRC racing decals on the black frame to let folks see it at night. No need to remove the modest graphics, even, as I had to on the red 2003 CBR150.

As the multiple-BSA-owning Mennonite pastor still advises me, "Keep the rubber side down." :o

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, one more think on the bike; keep it clean but be emphatic that the car wash doesn't Armour All your seat and tyres. I had one do that to me and after I paid for the wash hopped on the seat and almost ended up slipping off to the other side. Then upon leaving the parking lot, I goosed the throttle too much and the rear end almost ended up stepping out on me!

Now I am close to buying one new, but is there any advice for me before I put the order in? Do local owners ever get together? Days out , recommended routes etc? Its been a while since I rode so could be interesting, and hopefully fun.

Any advice welcome, cheers guys,

Prestburypark

Till you get real familiar with it, ride only in daylight & never in the rain.

That will avoid 90% of the problems.

Well, this is the 576th post. 35 308 views, and this thread is still running strong!

Has anybody done any major modifications to their bikes? I'm still waiting to see if the CBR250R is worth buying to decide wether or not I'm going to drop the order on goodspeed.

hi Dave.

more info on sprockets...... turns out i've got a 38t on the back of the 150.<deleted>

anyway just ordered some 17t fronts and 42t rears for the 150 from jt sprockets now trying to find 428 o-ring chain.

doing a 520 conversion (more sizes available) on the cbr250 tmorrow... seems that will get the front wheel lifting ok :o:D :D

Allan

hi Dave.

more info on sprockets...... turns out i've got a 38t on the back of the 150.<deleted>

anyway just ordered some 17t fronts and 42t rears for the 150 from jt sprockets now trying to find 428 o-ring chain.

doing a 520 conversion (more sizes available) on the cbr250 tmorrow... seems that will get the front wheel lifting ok :o:D:D

Allan

That's really odd; did you buy it new? Because it's my understanding that the 150 came with 44 tooth standard....

Anyways, with the setup you have listed and assuming stock sized tyres, that will increase your theoretical top speed to 173 up from the standard 145. I wonder how acceleration is going to be affected.

no i didnt get new. the accelleration is good with the 14/38 but i'm not working next month (school holidays) so i'm gonna play a bit. i've got 14,15 and 17 front and 42 and 38 rear. i understand fom my thai mechanic that the sonic sprockets fit just gotta make sure they are 428. so might even grab a few more rear sizes.

on a side note, a POLICE rider pulls up next to me at the traffic lights on a cbr 150 and he doesn't like my endurance muffler hehehe he say dang mak mak(very very noisy). i say i dont understand and after much pointing and babble he just rides off shaking his head. lol

so gotta get a quieter slip on exhaust.

I just checked the specs in the back of the 2008 owners manual, and see no mention of sprocket sizes. I never bothered to fiddle with mine because I did not want to sacrifice either acceleration or top speed, since neither had much to spare. But my Austin-Healey Corvette in overdrive might have had a theoretical top speed of 170 miles per hour. With acceleration to spare.

peaceblondie by changing just the down pipe to a freer breathing system it makes a huge difference to drivability. both accelleration and top end.

thats where the restriction is as its the same pipe as the 125s.

so you can still use the original muffler and get no problems from the plod!

allan

Edited by thaicbr

omega dont know where to buy an exhaust in pattaya but i got mine from goodspeed.com, good service and the endurance downpipe was very good quality( do not get the tsugki one they are f***king rubbish broke 2 in 2 months) the endurance muffler was very,very loud so ask him for a quieter one. also dave been riding the cbr250 a bit now its defo a carb problem so will go back to muppet mechanic to get tuned...lol

allan

Yes i did look in to that and im going to buy the NMF muffler. . . with a db-killer . . iknow the traffic police in pattaya are horrible . . . . !

BTW..... What ALARM system for CBR is to recommended ?!?!

omeg. where are you getting the exhaust from?

the reason i ask because goodspeed tell me they dont have db killers in stock now. thats all i need to get mine a bit quieter.

so if some one else has stock of the db killer can you let me know.

thanks

allan

peaceblondie by changing just the down pipe to a freer breathing system it makes a huge difference to drivability. both accelleration and top end.

thats where the restriction is as its the same pipe as the 125s.

so you can still use the original muffler and get no problems from the plod!

allan

Where did you get just the down tube? Sounds like an easy upgrade to do with little downside.

i got it from aseanmoto (goodspeed) its an Endurance one BUT my one uses a slip on muffler, i'm still trying to get the adapter for 3 bolt onto slip on so i can use the standard muffler or any 3 bolt muffler. i know they are available because i've seen the adapters on cbr150club.com and the new tsikugi pipes (these pipes are crap though broke 2 in 2months).

when i find all the bits will let every one know.

allan

i got it from aseanmoto (goodspeed) its an Endurance one BUT my one uses a slip on muffler, i'm still trying to get the adapter for 3 bolt onto slip on so i can use the standard muffler or any 3 bolt muffler. i know they are available because i've seen the adapters on cbr150club.com and the new tsikugi pipes (these pipes are crap though broke 2 in 2months).

when i find all the bits will let every one know.

allan

Hmm, could there be a market for such an adapter? I have a Sister in Law that works at a place with an EDM. If we generated a blueprint, it would be easy to get a whole slew of them made. A precision cut flange welded on a standardise shortie pipe would probably sell pretty well.

I looked at that cbrclub website before, but my Thai reading is only slightly better than my Korean. I.E., it is unfortunately worthless for me.

nice one fridgemagnet the vee rubber tyres are still weeny little ones i think. can you get us some sizes (written on the side if the tyre).

what other stuff did this piston shop place have anything good.

dave i'm talking to top tmorro about what stuff he's got.

the rear service lifts are only 450 baht so getting one of them. will let you know more.

thanks allan

Edited by thaicbr

hi guys,

i'll be staying here in bangkok for probably one and a half years and i have decided to get myself a secondhand cbr 150. got the bike last saturday. everything seems great except the idling seems a too low. i wanted to try to empty the remaining fuel and use a better quality fuel and see if the idling will be better. if not, then i'll go look for a honda service station somewhere around klong thoey.

as you could probably tell, i don't know much about bikes :D. i have always been a car guy and this cbr is my first motorbike.

well, that's what i get for being an impulsive buyer but i am enjoying it even in its current state :o

just saying hi by the way.

Edited by igme

hi guys,

i'll be staying here in bangkok for probably one and a half years and i have decided to get myself a secondhand cbr 150. got the bike last saturday. everything seems great except the idling seems a too low. i wanted to try to empty the remaining fuel and use a better quality fuel and see if the idling will be better. if not, then i'll go look for a honda service station somewhere around klong thoey.

as you could probably tell, i don't know much about bikes :D . i have always been a car guy and this cbr is my first motorbike.

well, that's what i get for being an impulsive buyer but i am enjoying it even in its current state :o

just saying hi by the way.

Well, if the idle speed is too low, reach down the right hand side of the bike and at the bottom of the top side of the fairing opening there's an idle adjustment. Give that a small turn and set it to what you want.

I find that Thais usually set it too high, I want to see mine idle around 1100 RPMs, and they want to set it for 1500......

My idle speed was too low. 1100 or so, kept dying at stop slights. So we just set it at 1,400. The choke works much better than the one on my old 2003 model.

///Correction: never adjust the idle on a cold engine. It set to 2,400 rpm. Later I stopped and put it below 2,000.

thanks dave, thanks peace -- i will definitely try it out tonight.

it is really nice that you guys are there to help me regarding this. motor bikes are as alien to me as the thai language :D

will do that and resume my practice riding one. i know thailand is the worst place to learn but with the good reviews on the bike, i just had to try it.

i just have to keep on reminding myself that i should not do the crazy things i do with my car or i'd definitely get myself killed :o

My idle speed was too low. 1100 or so, kept dying at stop slights. So we just set it at 1,400. The choke works much better than the one on my old 2003 model.

///Correction: never adjust the idle on a cold engine. It set to 2,400 rpm. Later I stopped and put it below 2,000.

Good catch on when to adjust it. I have honestly never used the choke on my bike, in fact the plastic baggie thing rotted off due to me being lazy and never taking it off!

I wonder if since I'm at only ~75 meters above sea level that I can get away with having such a low idle? Have you ever thought about re-jetting your carb since Chiang Mai is so high?

sometimes being as crazy as this lot here (Thais) is the best thing to do. out on the highway between my day job (samphran) and my evening job (nahkom pathom) i normally stay out in the outside 2 lanes traveling at about 120kmh rarely coming into the inside lanes. much much safer. but i learnt to ride in the UK so mirror, mirror, mirror.

alwys try and be aware of whats around you. the mirrors are great on the cbr.

also going to get a horn upgrade tmorro. its a bit puny.

Allan

sometimes being as crazy as this lot here (Thais) is the best thing to do. out on the highway between my day job (samphran) and my evening job (nahkom pathom) i normally stay out in the outside 2 lanes traveling at about 120kmh rarely coming into the inside lanes. much much safer. but i learnt to ride in the UK so mirror, mirror, mirror.

alwys try and be aware of whats around you. the mirrors are great on the cbr.

also going to get a horn upgrade tmorro. its a bit puny.

Allan

You think the mirrors are good?!?!? My elbows fill the suckers up and I can't see anything behind myself.

Hi Guys,

well I've had my 150 for nearly two weeks now, thought I would put my thoughts about it here, bearing in mind the last biking I did was in my twenties, about 30 years ago now, I have taken back to it like a duck to water, albeit with a high awareness of self-preservation that was probably lacking back then.

I think the bike looks great, I have found it quite quick enough so far, maybe a bit more grunt top end, but 120 seems to be about as fast as I would go here anyway. It took me a few days to get fluid with the machine, and I am aware of not becoming overconfident, but I do feel happy with riding it, particularly as I can keep up with traffic flow and be able to find my own bit of road away from cars due to its power,out of town anyway.(that down pipe replacement sound ideal)

I went through all the procedures and got a Thai car and bike licence, easy enough as I just presented my International permit, I have yet to be stopped by the cops, but I am expecting it and I hear that having the local licence makes a difference, somehow give me a bit of confidence too, but I dont quite know why.

I am looking forward to a long trip or two, done about 100ks in one go so far, the only niggle being a bit of vibration handlebar wise, but that could be me gripping too hard, as I have found myself doing on occasion, must stop that, riding position ok, you can stretch out..nuts can get squeezed into the tank after a while, I ride in jeans an a cotton jacket, full face (local) hemet..hot, would love a vented jacket with shoulder/elbow armour, using suede hush puppies at the moment, shocking I know, but hey ho..

all in all I am really chuffed with the bike, and as I become more experienced and used to it I think that I will still like it just as much, I read this forum while I was working back in the UK and just doing trips out here, inspired me to get one, many thanks to you all, a great result , actually having it there to hop on and enjoy at will, the price was great too, so no downside there, thanks for the inspiration and happy trails.

Hi Guys,

well I've had my 150 for nearly two weeks now, thought I would put my thoughts about it here, bearing in mind the last biking I did was in my twenties, about 30 years ago now, I have taken back to it like a duck to water, albeit with a high awareness of self-preservation that was probably lacking back then.

I think the bike looks great, I have found it quite quick enough so far, maybe a bit more grunt top end, but 120 seems to be about as fast as I would go here anyway. It took me a few days to get fluid with the machine, and I am aware of not becoming overconfident, but I do feel happy with riding it, particularly as I can keep up with traffic flow and be able to find my own bit of road away from cars due to its power,out of town anyway.(that down pipe replacement sound ideal)

I went through all the procedures and got a Thai car and bike licence, easy enough as I just presented my International permit, I have yet to be stopped by the cops, but I am expecting it and I hear that having the local licence makes a difference, somehow give me a bit of confidence too, but I dont quite know why.

I am looking forward to a long trip or two, done about 100ks in one go so far, the only niggle being a bit of vibration handlebar wise, but that could be me gripping too hard, as I have found myself doing on occasion, must stop that, riding position ok, you can stretch out..nuts can get squeezed into the tank after a while, I ride in jeans an a cotton jacket, full face (local) hemet..hot, would love a vented jacket with shoulder/elbow armour, using suede hush puppies at the moment, shocking I know, but hey ho..

all in all I am really chuffed with the bike, and as I become more experienced and used to it I think that I will still like it just as much, I read this forum while I was working back in the UK and just doing trips out here, inspired me to get one, many thanks to you all, a great result , actually having it there to hop on and enjoy at will, the price was great too, so no downside there, thanks for the inspiration and happy trails.

One thing that you can do is find a shop that sells lead ingots. They're dirt cheap, and you can have a shop take off your clip-ons (the handle bars proper that 'clip' onto the forks) melt the lead and pour it down inside the hollow tubes. Once solidified, it provides quite a bit of resonance dampening, and should help with the vibrations.

I'd definitely recommend upgrading your riding apparel. While it may seem prohibitively expensive, it is much cheaper than the costs of an assumed visit to the hospital after a nasty accident. It's kinda like a condom; better to have it and not need it than not to have it when needed.

The CBR 150R is a great little machine. It has enough power to pass pretty much everything else on Thai roads and yet can still weave through the traffic like a small scooter. I've spent 6 hours on it before, and as you alluded to the family jewels had a nice tingly feeling to them, but I've got enough kids already so it didn't bother me.

prestbury i'm selling a brand new teknic mesh jacket sz48 red/black at the moment the thread is on here. let you have it for 3500 inc ems delivery if your in bangkok might be able to meet up.

its a nice jacket just a bit to small for me cos i've got a bit of a belly.

allan