Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

...according to my gearing chart, it's not the weight that's restricting your top end, but rather the gearing. Going down to a 14 tooth front sprocket robs you of 10 km/h indicated. Had you gone up to say a 16 your top speed would then be 161 km/h and a 17 tooth takes you up to 171.

Okay, that gives me an idea. I just mentioned that I have not even tried to find the top speed on my 2008 CBR because the roads here are not conductive to it. I can afford to lose 10 km/hour, in exchange for better acceleration. And I am not worried about engine wear. Maybe when the chain runs out I will go to a 14 tooth front sprocket.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good timing for these latest posts. I just got my CBR done up today!

A few months ago I did the iridium spark plug, silicon lead, synthetic oil, and K&N air filter and different jet.

Felt more open and quicker. A little bit of a lurch on the shifts. Nice.

But the sound was horrible. Nasty buzzy - I took the K&N and the jet out, and put the airbox back in.

Definite difference. Just not as peppy. But the plug, oil, and lead did give me an extra 5 km/hr (145).

---

So last week I found a good mechanic. And today he put the K&N back in but with holes cut in the airbox (he kept the stock jet).

And a good CDI (3500bt). And a 2500bt high performance stainless steel pipe that replaces that nasty skinny little thing between the head and the original muffler.

BIG difference now. The air sound is a little buzzy from 7-9k, but not like before. And legal with the original muffler.

AND...it goes like stink. Really feels like a different bike. Revs to infinity.... -- in-fckin-finity, I tells ya

A real 'lit-up' power from 7k all the way to 13k. It sounds so smooth and mechanically 'right', that I am wondering if my red-line really is 13,000? (CBR250's red-line at over 17k I think).

Anyways, I did the Mae Sa Valley loop today, and it just punched it's way up hills. Punched. (was I hitting 13k? no . but 11.5? sure - always)

And on Canal Highway, in 6th, it pulled even, smooth and strong from 120 to 140. Didn't really slacken at all. I didn't have room to try for top end.

I really like this mechanic (in Chiang Mai). Two days ago just came in 2nd in a KSR race down south, and has a bunch of trophies. Speaks a little English, and so far has impressed me with his mechanical knowledge and skills. I hope to have him turn a KSR into an off-road 140cc with clutch for me

His feelings for the CBR:

He strongly recommended against changing the sprockets. Dunno why.

He doesn't know about the Michelins, as I didn't remember the model. But he recommends some Perellis for about 3500bt. He races on Vee-tires, but no good in the rain at all. He can get some Bridgestones for more than 5,000...

The only thing left for me that he suggests is to do the ports (1000bt). I won't do a new carb as it would make it way loud for sure.

All these little things, but what a nice difference. Oh yeah - I only run 95 benzine gas.

It is black with most of the stickers taken off

Nice one wjmark, looking for a similar set up myself (except the CDI). Handed over the bike today and gave them a long list! I have to live 2 weeks without my bike. :D But it should be hot when i get it back; i hope. :o The Michelins look great. The mechanic will sort out what sprokets the bike needs when he has set everything else up, i am after acceleration so am happy to sacrifice some top end.

Got a list of CBR parts and prices from Faddys; they discount on a bulk order!

http://www.faddybike.com/static/cbr150.htm

#10001C, Racing Stainless Muffler with removable sound baffle = 4500THB

#70004C, Racing Camshaft Kit complete with new aluminum blocks = 11000THB

#70005C, Racing CDI = 4200THB

#20118C, 6-Position Aluminum Brake/Clutch Lever Kit = 2300THB

#20001C, PE28 Keihin Carburetor with a Throttle Cable = 2900THB

#94001C, Racing Fairing (including front number plate) = 5000THB

#94002C, Tire 2pc-set (80/90-17 for Front/ Rear) = 3000THB

#50001C, Aluminum Rear Set = 2700THB (need to make a hole at the front left cowl for the gear shift rod which is offset more outside)

#02003C, Exhaust Mount = 1100THB

#75111C, Aluminum Shock-up = 9800THB

#01005C, Rear Seat Cowl = 1500THB

#01009C, Rear Hugger = 1500THB

#20119C, 40mm Low Handlebar = 2200THB

#03002C, Rear Sprocket 42T= 350THB

#03012C, Front Sprocket 14T = 100THB

#03003C, CLUTCH SPRING,= 500THB

Edited by taichiplanet

Ok the standard spockets are fine if ya want alround performance i mucked around with loads of different sizes.

dunno how porting it will help much unless your flowing more fuel. you really,really do not want to go over 13,000rpm for long periods or boom engine no good.

as for the bigger carb if its set up properly with either the standard airbox or a big enough (Thais use pretty little filters)filter pod the noise should not be that bad.

never seen any decent pirelli's in cbr sizing but bridgestone do the bt39ss which is a good tyre.

Kinda wish i still had mine now but buying my new (2nd hand) truck comes 1st.

Also you guys should check out the cbr150club.com website its in Thai but some good resellers on there, example cdi, jet and down pipe 2500baht. at least i think it was that :o

Ok the standard spockets are fine if ya want alround performance i mucked around with loads of different sizes.

dunno how porting it will help much unless your flowing more fuel. you really,really do not want to go over 13,000rpm for long periods or boom engine no good.

as for the bigger carb if its set up properly with either the standard airbox or a big enough (Thais use pretty little filters)filter pod the noise should not be that bad.

never seen any decent pirelli's in cbr sizing but bridgestone do the bt39ss which is a good tyre.

Kinda wish i still had mine now but buying my new (2nd hand) truck comes 1st.

Also you guys should check out the cbr150club.com website its in Thai but some good resellers on there, example cdi, jet and down pipe 2500baht. at least i think it was that :D

I agree with you about the carby, though i've only mucked around with filters and airboxes on cars. A bigger carb shouldn't make too much more noise, just comes down to how the air box/filter handles it; probably why standard ones are a little restrictive so as to keep the noise down (as well as more fuel economy, ho hum).

The cbr150club.com looks interesting; enough incentive to learn to read Thai at least! Love their 'CBR Man', i wondered if they make a figurine, or at least a key chain fob of it!

A truck is far more sensible than a bike; no doubt you'll be fit in your old age while a few of us will be hobbling around with 'souvenirs' of our Thai riding. :o

Update - 400km later...

Bike still goes like stink. I love it. I find myself having to slow down a lot, as it gets up to high speeds much quicker now - even up hills. I really am riding it like a different bike!

The stock muffler with the new performance pipe is noisier than before, but not too loud, and it is nice to have a 'legal' bike.

I talked to the mechanic, and he says 'now there is no red-line anymore'! I won't take it over 13,000rpm, but it sure sounds comfortable up there. 10,000 sounds and feels like a nice gentle cruising rev.

As far as the sprocket goes, the only reason he recommended against it is that it does limit top end. There was no mechanical reason he was against it...

I am still thinking about the porting. As I am using the stock carb and stock jet, perhaps I won't bother.

But I will stick an NSR coil in there. It is supposed to add a bit too.

That, and a pair of tires, and also an adjustable clutch lever, should just about do it.

HEY Taichiplanet - if you are doing all that work and spending all that money, why aren't you turning it into a 200 cc? i would have thought that would be the way to go? Anyways, good luck with it - they sure are fun bikes!

Hmmmm, was flicking through that cbr150club.com website and saw a banner ad on one of the pages that said

'CBR 150i Coming Soon"! I clicked on the ad but didn't get any more info. I was on the bottom of this page

http://www.cbr150club.com/board/index.php?topic=164.0

Definite sharp looking bikes; would burst a certain forum member's bubble considerably if true.

150icommingsooncopy1ol9.jpg

The fairing seems to be much wider. Don't know why they didn't integrate the turn indicators with the headlamps as on current model.

wjmark;

Thanks for the updates; my lil brother in law is currently riding mine, but once he's out of school he's getting a job and his own dam_n bike. If the rumours of the 'i' model are true, then I may just give him my old yellow CBR and get one of the new models-that white one looks nice.

there is a mod to remove the 5 ohm resistor located inside of the spark plug boot, according to ohms law this should yield a spark that is 5 times more powerful.

the thai cbr guys have been doing this for around a year now and havent reported any adverse affects...they are removing the resistor and replacing with either a cut bolt or some have made a solid copper conductor, with the original person who discovered the resistor using a solid silver conductor.

along with the stronger spark, the spark plug gets regapped to 1.1mm to accomodate the stronger spark arcing across the gap.

this also works with other bikes that have the resistor inline, this resistor is suppose to limit the amount of EMF that goes into the surrounding environment that may interfere with radio signals and such.

i dont know whether the silicon spark plug leads, that some have purchased still has the resistor inline though...

i'll report back once i try out the mod.

Update - 400km later...

Bike still goes like stink. I love it. I find myself having to slow down a lot, as it gets up to high speeds much quicker now - even up hills. I really am riding it like a different bike!

The stock muffler with the new performance pipe is noisier than before, but not too loud, and it is nice to have a 'legal' bike.

I talked to the mechanic, and he says 'now there is no red-line anymore'! I won't take it over 13,000rpm, but it sure sounds comfortable up there. 10,000 sounds and feels like a nice gentle cruising rev.

As far as the sprocket goes, the only reason he recommended against it is that it does limit top end. There was no mechanical reason he was against it...

I am still thinking about the porting. As I am using the stock carb and stock jet, perhaps I won't bother.

But I will stick an NSR coil in there. It is supposed to add a bit too.

That, and a pair of tires, and also an adjustable clutch lever, should just about do it.

HEY Taichiplanet - if you are doing all that work and spending all that money, why aren't you turning it into a 200 cc? i would have thought that would be the way to go? Anyways, good luck with it - they sure are fun bikes!

It's my first bike and i think i could put myself in enough trouble as it is! Actually i did ask the mech about increasing capacity and he felt it was enough to do the exhaust, carb and sprocket. Maybe the fact the bike has done 45k kms might have influenced his advice too, i'm not sure.

i just want a bit more of a zippier bike and see what happens from there. I did look at the Ninja yesterday, but it is a bigger bike and the one thing i like about the CBR is that it is easy to cut through the clogged traffic of Pattaya's roads. Maybe i'll do the 200cc on an injected model! :o Earlier in this forum there was discussion about changing the top end to make it 250cc, but no one seems to have come forward that has done it; maybe cbr150club.com might have some info. I've got a contact in Japan that deals in cars and parts who has bike contacts and have asked him to check it out but haven't got a reply.

wjmark, i can sense your smile all the way down here! Can you ask your mech about removing the resistor as Vato suggested, my thai is non existent and the english at the workshop is fairly basic. I know on old Jags that we had to put a resistor on the coil or it would burn out, but we were using the oil filled ones to keep the look original.

Hmmmm, was flicking through that cbr150club.com website and saw a banner ad on one of the pages that said

'CBR 150i Coming Soon"! I clicked on the ad but didn't get any more info. I was on the bottom of this page

http://www.cbr150club.com/board/index.php?topic=164.0

Definite sharp looking bikes; would burst a certain forum member's bubble considerably if true.

150icommingsooncopy1ol9.jpg

The fairing seems to be much wider. Don't know why they didn't integrate the turn indicators with the headlamps as on current model.

wjmark;

Thanks for the updates; my lil brother in law is currently riding mine, but once he's out of school he's getting a job and his own dam_n bike. If the rumours of the 'i' model are true, then I may just give him my old yellow CBR and get one of the new models-that white one looks nice.

Maybe Ghostrider (moderator of cbr150club.com) is having a bit of fun. If it is true it will be interesting to see what the power output is. I would reckon they put the indicators on stalks to act as 'whiskers' so that riders had warning that they were about to get knee-capped on a parked pick-up! :o

I can see your reasoning behind wanting a white CBR. Just put on a uniform and 'fine' anyone that is not wearing a helmet; you'd be able to give up your real job! :D

GUYS they are cbr125's. same as the UK. thats why they have the indicators (turn signals for some) like that to comply with UK/Euro law.

would not be to hard to change over. also they have MUCH better headlights than the cbr150.

as for the 250 option its a no go. the idea was to fit either a complete crf250 engine or top end. they don't fit unless you do Major mod's. got the engine measured up by a guy in the USA.

Vato just change the plug to a Platinum or iridium. Platinum are cheaper about 250b against 450b. had one in my 150 and loads better. gotta try and get some for the 250.

if ya want a white one just get it resprayed. about 4,000b ought to do it with new decals.

Allan

200cc you have to change the crank as well. so not really a 'bolt on deal'. about 165-170cc is a bolt on deal.

allan

Exactly. Even the 165-cc bolt on job means you are entrusting your CBR150 - which at least for me is my pride and joy that gets me around everywhere - to a Thai mechanic to install lots of bits of untested quality and endurance. I never had the nerve to do that. So, I admire you guys who trust your CBR to Somchai wrenches. It has revived these CBR threads. But I am afraid Somchai might strip some threads on a CBR. :o

I put the Faddys info up as a reference, i'm not buying any parts from them, as my mech is organising all the parts.

I was supposed to go to CM over Christmas but it's not happening now. i reasoned that the money i would've spent on the trip could go into the bike; much more interesting and much more fun but don't tell the missus! 10k for exhaust, carb, ignition (but no CDI), sprockets, service, a few mechanical repairs, Michelin tyres, some paint work, a full degrease and polish. It is Christmas after all!Hopefully the quality of work is as good as it looks.

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year to everyone. Ride safe!

10k for exhaust, carb, ignition (but no CDI), sprockets, service, a few mechanical repairs, Michelin tyres, some paint work, a full degrease and polish.

Why no CDI? I would have thought that is a major change, as it opens up the engine's top-end so nicely.

No red-line!!!!

Happy hi-rev season everyone...

200cc you have to change the crank as well. so not really a 'bolt on deal'. about 165-170cc is a bolt on deal.

allan

Exactly. Even the 165-cc bolt on job means you are entrusting your CBR150 - which at least for me is my pride and joy that gets me around everywhere - to a Thai mechanic to install lots of bits of untested quality and endurance. I never had the nerve to do that. So, I admire you guys who trust your CBR to Somchai wrenches. It has revived these CBR threads. But I am afraid Somchai might strip some threads on a CBR. :o

Even in our prospective (former) home countries there are plenty of dodgy mechanics, and it is always trial and error with modified parts. Anyway, if the new bits don't work, you can always bolt the old ones back on! The CBR is no more mechanically advanced than a Wave or Sonic. I understand where you are coming from though, the CBR is a play thing for me and if it stops working it's not too inconvenient for me to wait until it is fixed.

I've seen some nice modified bikes around Thailand so it's only a matter of finding the good mechanics here. That's why i've joined this forum so as to be (hopefully) pointed in the right direction.

Maybe we should set up a website www.half-decent-thai-mechanics.com or even www.avoid-like-the-plague-thai-mechanics.com! :D

Why no CDI? I would have thought that is a major change, as it opens up the engine's top-end so nicely.

No red-line!!!!

Happy hi-rev season everyone...

I'm not doing the CDI for that very reason, i want a rev limit for my ageing engine. I want at least a year of controlled fun before i trade it or blow it up! And i am a scared old man!

GUYS they are cbr125's. same as the UK. thats why they have the indicators (turn signals for some) like that to comply with UK/Euro law.

would not be to hard to change over. also they have MUCH better headlights than the cbr150.

as for the 250 option its a no go. the idea was to fit either a complete crf250 engine or top end. they don't fit unless you do Major mod's. got the engine measured up by a guy in the USA.

Vato just change the plug to a Platinum or iridium. Platinum are cheaper about 250b against 450b. had one in my 150 and loads better. gotta try and get some for the 250.

if ya want a white one just get it resprayed. about 4,000b ought to do it with new decals.

Allan

I prefer the integrated look; even the bikes that put the 'signals' in the mirrors are sleeker than them hanging off the side of the body.

Could you get some information from your mate about what year that CRF was? Supposedly this swap was from the first generation. I found that the CBR 150R uses the 22222-KGH-900 or the 22222-KTY-D30 gaskets. Not sure if either of those parts are interchangeable with the CRF250; but then again, perhaps we're looking at the wrong number and we should be looking at the xlr.

allan

Changing crank = no big deal.

Blondie you are the guy who directed me toward Aseanmoto.com who I assume can do the mods. This is not Somchai.

Unless you are getting rid of that stupid muffler why bother?

dotcom, Aseanmoto is the only place I know for parts, besides my local big Honda dealer and Prida. But I have no idea if the parts fit, if the mechanics are skilled, here or anywhere else. I have no idea how much spare strength is built into OEM parts to handle higher output. I do not speak the language and barely hold the currency. The CBR150, stock or with Dunlop tires, pleases me greatly. If I was dying for high performance, I would buy a new Yamaha sportbike. The trouble is, Mr. Mugabe is late paying me 700 trillion trillion Zimbawbe dollars.

If I was dying for high performance, I would buy a new Yamaha sportbike. The trouble is, Mr. Mugabe is late paying me 700 trillion trillion Zimbawbe dollars.

I think that's what I paid for my iridium spark plug...

Did the Mae Sa Valley loop again this morning. That's four times this week.

On two of those runs, I also did the Samoeng back loop - about 40km, with only 1.5km of unpaved. Lots of very good new pavement on that tiny little highway, but also a few surprising nasties - especially on curves at the top or bottom of a hill...

Edited by wjmark

Good timing for these latest posts. I just got my CBR done up today!

A few months ago I did the iridium spark plug, silicon lead, synthetic oil, and K&N air filter and different jet.

Felt more open and quicker. A little bit of a lurch on the shifts. Nice.

But the sound was horrible. Nasty buzzy - I took the K&N and the jet out, and put the airbox back in.

Definite difference. Just not as peppy. But the plug, oil, and lead did give me an extra 5 km/hr (145).

---

So last week I found a good mechanic. And today he put the K&N back in but with holes cut in the airbox (he kept the stock jet).

And a good CDI (3500bt). And a 2500bt high performance stainless steel pipe that replaces that nasty skinny little thing between the head and the original muffler.

BIG difference now. The air sound is a little buzzy from 7-9k, but not like before. And legal with the original muffler.

AND...it goes like stink. Really feels like a different bike. Revs to infinity.... -- in-fckin-finity, I tells ya

A real 'lit-up' power from 7k all the way to 13k. It sounds so smooth and mechanically 'right', that I am wondering if my red-line really is 13,000? (CBR250's red-line at over 17k I think).

Anyways, I did the Mae Sa Valley loop today, and it just punched it's way up hills. Punched. (was I hitting 13k? no . but 11.5? sure - always)

And on Canal Highway, in 6th, it pulled even, smooth and strong from 120 to 140. Didn't really slacken at all. I didn't have room to try for top end.

I really like this mechanic (in Chiang Mai). Two days ago just came in 2nd in a KSR race down south, and has a bunch of trophies. Speaks a little English, and so far has impressed me with his mechanical knowledge and skills. I hope to have him turn a KSR into an off-road 140cc with clutch for me

His feelings for the CBR:

He strongly recommended against changing the sprockets. Dunno why.

He doesn't know about the Michelins, as I didn't remember the model. But he recommends some Perellis for about 3500bt. He races on Vee-tires, but no good in the rain at all. He can get some Bridgestones for more than 5,000...

The only thing left for me that he suggests is to do the ports (1000bt). I won't do a new carb as it would make it way loud for sure.

All these little things, but what a nice difference. Oh yeah - I only run 95 benzine gas.

It is black with most of the stickers taken off

Dear Mr wjmark - where is this mechanic to be found, and what is his name