Non Immigrant B Visa - No More Multiple Entries

Its that time of year when my thoughts turn to escaping Songkran and the heat. Clever devil that I am, I have my Non Immigrant B expire this time of year and off to the Chicago embassy for a new one. Imagine my surprise when they issued a Single entry Non Imm B. I protested but they had all sorts of new fax information showing the multiple entry visas could only be issued for an Ed visa. That is the only multiple entry that any embassy can issue.

THERE IS A NEW PROCEDURE.... why does that strike terror in my heart?

Apparently the embassies will only issue single entry. If you want multiple entry one must go to Immigrations in Bangkok and get a special stamp. For only an additional few forms, weeks of standing in line, and 3000 baht, they will stamp your single entry and make it multiple entry. Wanna bet its not that simple?

I have been watching visa regs become more obtuse, more complicated and ultimately much more difficult and expensive in both time and money for the past few years. I think its time I read the writing on the wall and closed things up.

I protested but they had all sorts of new fax information showing the multiple entry visas could only be issued for an Ed visa. That is the only multiple entry that any embassy can issue.

By extension, this implies that the Thai consulate in Chicago is claiming that even multi-entry non-immigrant 'O' visas are no more. I wonder whether this is for real or if they somehow got their wires crossed? There has been so much confusion and misinformation regarding new regulations that it's not outside the realm of possibility that the Chicago consulate staff is simply misinformed.

I think it depends on where you go. But perhaps this is spreading slowly to all embassies.

JR Texas: I have been on various forums at Thailand Forum that have discussed the problems associated with new visa rules and regulations (and business rules and regulations). The writing is on the wall: Go away! We do not want you!

For those who need a technical term for it, it is called the "securitization of migration." It is happening, not just in Thailand, but worldwide. Governments are rationalizing draconian changes to visa rules/regulations by falsely linking terrorism to immigration.

The securitization of immigration often has the opposite effect of what the government is intending to do as it generates an increase in clandestine migration across borders. Also, in Thailand's case, it prevents small businesses from opening and hiring Thais (thus hurting Thais), prevents expats from spending much needed dollars in Thailand (thus hurting Thais), and fans the flames of xenophobia (thus hurting Thais).

It is a shame that it is happening. Each person has to find his own solution. My solution was to leave for China but now I am back working as a professor. But for how long? If I lose my job I will have to search for a different visa solution. And the bar keeps rising........they want to push immigrants out of the country and stop long stays by immigrants.

As I said, this is happening worldwide. It relates to population growth exceeding economic growth, failure of the process of economic globalization, massive income inequality between the rich and poor, outdated ideologies, environmental destruction....etc., etc.

Good luck to all!

There is no thai embassy in Chigago! It is a royal thai consulate general!

Thier web site indicates they do issue one year multiple entry b-visas with the proper paperwork.

If the OP is unable to distinguish between a royal thai embassy and a consulate general it is very likely he didn't have his paperwork in order.

Exactly one week ago I recieved my multiple entry one year b-visa from the LA consulate! :D

Perhaps the alarm is premature! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I was told exactly the same thing re: Type O visa by the same consulate. It's not fair that nearly every other consulate will grant mulitple entry Type O and the Chicago won't. Secondly I don't believe the 3000 thb story at all and I generally know when I'm being bullshitted but they do it with a straight face at the Chicago consulate.

On top of this they had the audacity to ask if I could help their staff transfer at Narita when we left at the airport and we did but I wish i hadn't.

Its that time of year when my thoughts turn to escaping Songkran and the heat. Clever devil that I am, I have my Non Immigrant B expire this time of year and off to the Chicago embassy for a new one. Imagine my surprise when they issued a Single entry Non Imm B. I protested but they had all sorts of new fax information showing the multiple entry visas could only be issued for an Ed visa. That is the only multiple entry that any embassy can issue.

Apparently the embassies will only issue single entry. If you want multiple entry one must go to Immigrations in Bangkok and get a special stamp. For only an additional few forms, weeks of standing in line, and 3000 baht, they will stamp your single entry and make it multiple entry. Wanna bet its not that simple?

I have been watching visa regs become more obtuse, more complicated and ultimately much more difficult and expensive in both time and money for the past few years. I think its time I read the writing on the wall and closed things up.

Apparently the embassies will only issue single entry. If you want multiple entry one must go to Immigrations in Bangkok and get a special stamp.

All very inconvenient for the businessman who visits regularly. :o

Yes I know it's a consulate general.. I don't believe I ever said it was an Embassy. My point was I checked with the embassy in DC and the other consulates and they are generally a lot more cooperative when it comes to isssuing multiple entry visas.

There is no thai embassy in Chigago! It is a royal thai consulate general!

Thier web site indicates they do issue one year multiple entry b-visas with the proper paperwork.

If the OP is unable to distinguish between a royal thai embassy and a consulate general it is very likely he didn't have his paperwork in order.

Exactly one week ago I recieved my multiple entry one year b-visa from the LA consulate! :D

Perhaps the alarm is premature! :o

Yes I know it's a consulate general.. I don't believe I ever said it was an Embassy. My point was I checked with the embassy in DC and the other consulates and they are generally a lot more cooperative when it comes to isssuing multiple entry visas.
'2007-04-26 05:40:44'[/color]]There is no thai embassy in Chigago! It is a royal thai consulate general!

Perhaps the alarm is premature! :D

borracho's answer was made to the OP, not to you, he wrote this 10 days before you even started to write in this thread. Thanks god im am pc todaday :o

Apparently the embassies will only issue single entry. If you want multiple entry one must go to Immigrations in Bangkok and get a special stamp.

All very inconvenient for the businessman who visits regularly. :o

Tell me about it - I am in Singapore and they are single entry only and I can tell you a lot in my office have to visit regularly

We just do not bother with visa's and have cut down trips to BKK to everyones sadness - I am organising a large meeting in July - in Singapore as its easier - costs us more though!

Edited by Prakanong

borracho's answer was made to the OP, not to you, he wrote this 10 days before you even started to write in this thread. Thanks god im am pc todaday :o

Exactly!

If "steffi" can't get the order of the posts straight she's unlikely to have her paperwork in order for a year b-visa either.

I was told exactly the same thing re: Type O visa by the same consulate. It's not fair that nearly every other consulate will grant mulitple entry Type O and the Chicago won't

But hold the show! Steffi this thread is about b-visas! You are aware of the difference aren't you?

Unless you have connections inside the embassy and have all required documentation an "O"-visa is issued in the USA for only 90 days. You can renew this visa for a year visa in Thailand when you submit the appropriate documentation and requirements.

Generally one year "O" visas are issued without re-entry permits(retirees generally stay in country). You can get as many reentry permits as you like from immigration

Edited by borracho

Exactly!

If "steffi" can't get the order of the posts straight she's unlikely to have her paperwork in order for a year b-visa either.

I was told exactly the same thing re: Type O visa by the same consulate. It's not fair that nearly every other consulate will grant mulitple entry Type O and the Chicago won't

But hold the show! Steffi this thread is about b-visas! You are aware of the difference aren't you?

Unless you have connections inside the embassy and have all required documentation an "O"-visa is issued in the USA for only 90 days. You can renew this visa for a year visa in Thailand when you submit the appropriate documentation and requirements.

Generally one year "O" visas are issued without re-entry permits(retirees generally stay in country). You can get as many reentry permits as you like from immigration

Yes my only point is that it's apparently trivial to get multiple reentry O's at any other consulates besides the Chicago one.

^only two consulates seem to hand out year O visas indiscriminately. To my knowledge neither is in the US.

Again the OP of this thread was discussing "B"visas! And IME the US consulates are issuing one year multiple entry non-imm B visas with the proper documentation.

xbusman- I am sending you a PM regarding information which may be of benefit