Need advice for ceiling/roof insulation

SlyouThai

Hello ! Here is the current situation...

The ceiling insulation is gone in many areas and looks to me very small anyway to do anything. No insulation whatsoever under the tiles , the metalic structure is so hot that after 10 seconds on it your hands start burning.

So... Whats are the necessary step here ?

I guess first need to redo all the ceiling insulation with something such as Roof insulation SCG Stay Cool 150mm ?

Whats the best way for the roof ? aluminium foil ? any link to a good material please ? Also is it doable without removing the tiles ?

I dont see any opening anywhere to have allow air in and out  , whats the easiest way to create one ?

Found some very interesting items like the thai style pillow , maybe someone used to sleep here ....

Guess i will also need a good electrician to check all this mess

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-29 at 5.02.36 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-29 at 5.02.36 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-29 at 5.02.37 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-29 at 5.02.37 PM.jpeg

Edited by SlyouThai

Watch out for so many solutions.

Firstly my take would be you could underline with a reflective material but you need to vent a roof space.  

You have gable end slopes so you can vent at ridge or at gable end slopes. 

See if you are vented at eaves. 

Just reinsulate ceiling areas with foil covered fibreglass rolls with the thickest you want spent dosh on. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Watch out for so many solutions.

Firstly my take would be you could underline with a reflective material but you need to vent a roof space.  

You have gable end slopes so you can vent at ridge or at gable end slopes. 

See if you are vented at eaves. 

Just reinsulate ceiling areas with foil covered fibreglass rolls with the thickest you want spent dosh on. 

So you mean i should only vent the roof and have fiberglass rolls on ceiling and that would be already decent ?

SCG Stay Cool 150mm Pipe 0.60x4.00m   Is that thick enough and good material ?

Rather hard to have air flow in that case - but should not be that hard to cut out eves and make some access points for air - also common here are wind turbines as below which work great but most will not want to have visible but probably could put on backside of your roof as I have done (photo is stock and not my house). 

image.jpeg.c166411fb0c06dc163eab588000254f3.jpeg

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

That sucks they didn't use the ventilated gypsum boards on the eves. The material they chose is alot cheaper than what they should of used. 

To me, you can either replace a percentage of the soffit/eve boards with ventilated boards, which would be kinda costly/messy but probably the 'best' way. 

Or buy "Soffit Vents" and install them around the house in the eves. This is just an example, its not very big, but its a simple vent:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/8-inch-round-air-vent-abs-louver-grille-cover-white-soffit-vent-with-built-in-fly-screen-mesh-for-bathroom-office-kitchen-ventilation-i1224498083-s2921076858.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.12f5866dRhwTY4&search=1

The insulation - simple enough solution is to hire a crew to climb up there, take out all the destroyed stuff, and roll out new stuff, and preferably a double layer. 

You still need a vent on your roof though for proper circulation but in the end of the day if you have enough insulation above your ceiling, it doesn't matter how hot your attic space gets. You could double layer new insulation and leave everything else and I believe you'd be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

So you mean i should only vent the roof and have fiberglass rolls on ceiling and that would be already decent ?

SCG Stay Cool 150mm Pipe 0.60x4.00m   Is that thick enough and good material ?

Yeah do that it works for me in my old 18 year old house that I had to make improvements on when I eventually retired here 15 years ago. 

So many products have been introduced to Thailand since but ceiling insulation as much venting to roof as possible is a way to go. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/8-inch-round-air-vent-abs-louver-grille-cover-white-soffit-vent-with-built-in-fly-screen-mesh-for-bathroom-office-kitchen-ventilation-i1224498083-s2921076858.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.12f5866dRhwTY4&search=1

The insulation - simple enough solution is to hire a crew to climb up there, take out all the destroyed stuff, and roll out new stuff, and preferably a double layer. 

You still need a vent on your roof though for proper circulation but in the end of the day if you have enough insulation above your ceiling, it doesn't matter how hot your attic space gets. You could double layer new insulation and leave everything else and I believe you'd be fine. 

Do you have a product you recommend to lay it on the ceiling ? SCG Stay Cool 150mm is what i was looking at. Also for installation you need to cut holes in insulation at the area where you have lights correct ?

Also what about what i need to buy to let the hot air goes out ? something like lopburi3 recommended ?

Edited by SlyouThai

5 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

Do you have a product you recommend to lay it on the ceiling ? SCG Stay Cool 150mm is what i was looking at. Also for installation you need to cut holes in insulation at the area where you have lights correct ?

It’s not so much about thickness but “R-value”. Which you can see on the rolls of insulation. The higher the R value the better, and don’t pick one with a paper/fabric backing. 

you don’t “have to” cut out around the lights. It’s advisable, but imo here I’m Thailand I just roll it out over everything - wiring and all. Insulation is pretty fire resistant. Doing it any other way and you’ll probably have a hard time finding a crew to do it. 

9 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

Also what about what i need to buy to let the air hot goes out ? something like lopburi3 recommended ?

Yeah those work well, they also make pipe vents that are installed by removing a tile and swapping it in. 

Whatever you choose make sure it’s comparable with your roof material and does not leak, otherwise it’ll be a massive mess and ruin all your work. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, uncleP said:

Best is spray foam but not the cheapest solution

yes i had that in mind also but considering the roof is 15 years old im not sure putting foam under it now is smart  since it may be needed to change tiles in the future. I guess the foam gonna stuck to the tiles and i cant imagine the nightmare to find a leak if you have foam all over

Also i heard sometimes foam push up the tiles and you end up with leaking.

Edited by SlyouThai

6 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

It’s not so much about thickness but “R-value”. Which you can see on the rolls of insulation. The higher the R value the better, and don’t pick one with a paper/fabric backing. 

Stay cool product 150Mm have R- value of 38

Edited by SlyouThai

7 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Decent. I’d try and get it up a little higher if the budget allows by getting a little thinner product and double layering - but still good. 

https://www.energystar.gov/campaign/seal_insulate/identify_problems_you_want_fix/diy_checks_inspections/insulation_r_values

so in this case buy the 75mm Rvalue 27 and double layer ?  349 THB for one roll of the 3 inches R27 ,  449 THB for the 6 inches R38.  Worth it ?

Edited by SlyouThai

I don't think that you need to replace the soffit... 

You could just cut and fit some aloy vents in them. 

They come with anti insect mesh. 

The one thing I noticed from your pics, is that it looks like your ridge tiles have been cemented into place. 

I think that is the problem. 

If you take them off, and put back, or replace without cement, but with a rubber membrane, your roof should be able to breathe properly. 

That, and some new insulation should do the trick IMHO. 

Edited by northsouthdevide
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

I don't think that you need to replace the soffit... 

You could just cut and fit some aloy vents in them. 

They come with anti insect mesh. 

The one thing I noticed from your pics, is that it looks like your ridge tiles have been cemented into place. 

I think that is the problem. 

If you take them off, and put back, or replace without cement, but with a rubber membrane, your roof should be able to breathe properly. 

That, and some new insulation should do the trick IMHO. 

i think they are cemented yes . will look into this option . Thanks

30 minutes ago, SlyouThai said:

yes i had that in mind also but considering the roof is 15 years old im not sure putting foam under it now is smart  since it may be needed to change tiles in the future. I guess the foam gonna stuck to the tiles and i cant imagine the nightmare to find a leak if you have foam all over

Also i heard sometimes foam push up the tiles and you end up with leaking.

My recommendation is don't do foam waste of money.

Did say many experts here. ????

Edited by Kwasaki

Before you do anything else check and see if that insulation has rat droppings on it then cut any trees  or bananas down which overhang the roof, otherwise theyll be back in there tearing the new stuff  up...........ditto squirrels, I leave 2  traps in my gutters and regularly  fish the corpses out, maybe 4 a  year. I have another 3  inside the  roof as the bstards chewed thru the cement  board to get in and it was  half an inch thick.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bodga said:

Before you do anything else check and see if that insulation has rat droppings on it then cut any trees  or bananas down which overhang the roof, otherwise theyll be back in there tearing the new stuff  up...........ditto squirrels, I leave 2  traps in my gutters and regularly  fish the corpses out, maybe 4 a  year. I have another 3  inside the  roof as the bstards chewed thru the cement  board to get in and it was  half an inch thick.

yes we do have rat <deleted> . Will try to find how they get in and will have traps in place after installation

• Like 1