I got my 30 days extension denied today

since you say you have family, and when this is Thai family you are married into  the just apply for non-O based on marriage. why does everyone do so difficult and enter on the wrong visas that are only for tourist. you should have planned some time ago the moment you want to stay longer and apply for the right visa. this having the correct visa is around the world the same even in your country,

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

Working??  I don't think so.   Not now anyway.  Most of us considering these are just here due to covid without any good options of alternative places to go, and not many alternatives to extend our stay.  

I certainly would have no desire to work here.  And anyone who did want to work would teach english and could easily have the school get a non-B visa.

Ummm, yes, do you think only school teachers work here? Or do all these people live on fresh air? Wake up lol

On 8/31/2020 at 2:50 PM, Peter Denis said:

OP> When you did not already apply for such a regular 30-day extension earlier, there should be NO reason for rejecting your application.

You are eligible to such extension when you entered Thailand Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa and did not already use it earlier.

There is a well-documented report from someone successfully doing exactly same thing you tried.  And with his 30-day extension of stay approved at MTT, he then went to CW to successfully apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, from which during the last month he can then apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.

The point is also that you could indeed apply with an Embassy letter for the 'special extension of stay'.  But that special extension of stay is NOT meant to be used as a spring-board for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa or other long-stay option you want to do later, as it is only provided as a temporary legitimate permission to stay when you are not able to leave the country.

So unless IO confirms that they would be willing to accept your application for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa from such Embassy letter supported special extension of stay, it would not help and maybe even hinder your plans for long-stay.

Since you are on a Visa Exempt / Tourist Visa you could in principle apply at ANY IO in Thailand for the 30-days extension of stay. So it is just a matter of finding an IO that would be willing to accept your application for the 30-days extension of stay your Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry entitles you to.  After having received the 'valid' permission to stay from that IO, you can then apply at CW for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa from that valid permission to stay (you would of course have to meet the requirements for such application).

Note: It is possible that the IO where you would apply for your regular 30-day extension of stay, might want your address.  In that case - if they are willing to do it, but insist on the address - it would be simply a matter of checking in at a Hotel the night before and ask Hotel-staff for the TM-30 notification they are supposed to make when a foreigner is staying at their premisses. 

"You are eligible to such extension when you entered Thailand Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa and did not already use it earlier."

This has been discussed several times before. It doesn't matter if some have been able to do the 30 days extension. During the "amnesty" the old rules and regulations have gone bye bye at several immigration offices, especially lately. They don't consider the automatic extensions during the "amnesty" as normal extensions. That's (probably) why the last announcement only mentions embassy letters and medical exceptions to be able to apply for an extension. It seems like the 60 days extension is the only one they still (so far anyway) issue without arguing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevie1982 said:

Hello all. 

Newly signed up but been a lurker on tv for information for a while. 

I have also been wandering what the outcome will be come the 26th September. I'm 36 from the UK and came here last November on a tourist visa, got a second tourist visa in savanaket which I haven't used the extension on yet. 

I like many others by the looks of it was looking at the volunteer visa and planning on going to pattaya tomorrow to get that sorted.

I decided to go in past my local immigration office Today in ubon ratchathani, to find out about getting the months extension on tourist visa that I haven't used yet.  As with all the uncertainty I didn't want to waste money on voulenteer visa if don't have to. 

The kind lady at immigration told me that yes I can get the 1 month extension dated from the 27th September for the 30 days. She was going to do it there and then for me, but as I was only into inquire about it I never had the relevant paperwork with me. She told me to come back tomorrow and would do it for me 100% without any mention of letter from embassy. 

I will update tomorrow on the outcome if anyone is interested to know.   

Excellent info. It seems there are quite a few offices willing to extend up to 26 October. I'm looking for the one closest to Bangkok or in a nice holiday destination like Samui.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stevie1982 said:

I decided to go in past my local immigration office Today in ubon ratchathani, to find out about getting the months extension on tourist visa that I haven't used yet.  As with all the uncertainty I didn't want to waste money on volunteer visa if don't have to. 

The kind lady at immigration told me that yes I can get the 1 month extension dated from the 27th September for the 30 days. She was going to do it there and then for me, but as I was only into inquire about it I never had the relevant paperwork with me. She told me to come back tomorrow and would do it for me 100% without any mention of letter from embassy. 

I will update tomorrow on the outcome if anyone is interested to know.  

Thanks for the report!

And glad to hear that there are still some IOs where the regular IO rules/regulations are still applicable (as they should).

So success with your application for the regular 30-days extension your Tourist Visa entry entitles you to, and with the added bonus that your IO (sensibly) will let it start from 27 September < what's the sense of having you wait with the application till final days of the amnesty, when the IO will probably be overcrowded by last-minute applicants >.

Please do report on the outcome tomorrow when you will actually apply for it.

32 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"You are eligible to such extension when you entered Thailand Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa and did not already use it earlier."

This has been discussed several times before. It doesn't matter if some have been able to do the 30 days extension. During the "amnesty" the old rules and regulations have gone bye bye at several immigration offices, especially lately. They don't consider the automatic extensions during the "amnesty" as normal extensions. That's (probably) why the last announcement only mentions embassy letters and medical exceptions to be able to apply for an extension. It seems like the 60 days extension is the only one they still (so far anyway) issue without arguing. 

>> See post #100 just above - luckily there are still some IOs where the regular IO procedures are not 'over-ruled' by bogus Amnesty excuses.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

As i said, Thai Immigration HOTLINE told me today there was NO extension without letter (witch i can not have from French Embassy).

Has someone else called this number ?

For Ubon Ratcha, interesting to see if you actually will have it.........

Typically at the same office you get opposite answers from different officers......

I miss the old Thailand.

And with all this mess, once i will be able to leave, i doubt i will come back with this gouvernement.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stevie1982 said:

Hi guys. 

An update on my original post #97.

As I said, I actually WENT into my local immigration office and NOT phone a hotline. 

Just back from immigration not long ago. 

Bit of a carry on as the officer wanted  a copy of the tambon for the house I rent, (never needed that before) rental agreement normally OK. 

Went home, got that and back to the office.

After I handed her a copy of that and signed a few more bits of paperwork, she duly handed me back my passport with an extension to the 26th of October, on my original tourist visa with exit stamp for last April without using my extension.

Also no letter from embassy was asked for or mentioned. 

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful to some.

I guess it just depends on the immigration office and officer though.

Thanks for the confirmation.

So good to know that there are still IOs where the regular IO procedures are not over-ruled by bogus Amnesty excuses.

To summarize > You applied at Ubon Ratchathani IO for a regular 30-days extension of stay that your Tourist Visa entitles you to, and it was provided to you starting from the end of the Amnesty (26 Sept) till 25 October.

Obviously the permission to stay from your initial Tourist Visa already expired quite some time ago, and you - quite rightly - didn't need any Embassy issued letter to get the 30-day regular extension your Tourist Visa entitled you to.

> Those in a similar situation with an expired Tourist Visa but with their unused regular 30-day extension being not accepted at their local IO, might make use of the opportunity to visit beautiful Ubon Ratchathani and get the 30-day extension they are entitled to.

Note: You might need to check-in the night before at a Hotel so that you can bring a copy of  the TM-30 of the place you are staying (applicant had to provide that for his 30-day extension application).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stevie1982 said:

Hi guys. 

An update on my original post #97.

As I said, I actually WENT into my local immigration office and NOT phone a hotline. 

Just back from immigration not long ago. 

Bit of a carry on as the officer wanted  a copy of the tambon for the house I rent, (never needed that before) rental agreement normally OK. 

Went home, got that and back to the office.

After I handed her a copy of that and signed a few more bits of paperwork, she duly handed me back my passport with an extension to the 26th of October, on my original tourist visa with exit stamp for last April without using my extension.

Also no letter from embassy was asked for or mentioned. 

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful to some.

I guess it just depends on the immigration office and officer though. 

The tambon issue is a bit of an odd one. Was your TM30 not up-to-date? I wonder how they would deal with someone checking into a hotel the night before. As it's a tourist visa it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

The tambon issue is a bit of an odd one. Was your TM30 not up-to-date? I wonder how they would deal with someone checking into a hotel the night before. As it's a tourist visa it shouldn't be a problem.

Hi Edward.

I'm not to sure what the deal was with the tambon, its the first time I have been asked for that from the office in ubon.

Last time I reported that i was back staying at the house was in February when I came back from savannaket. 

I'm sure they would be OK with others getting an extension if they were up here a few days or so and had the relevant documentation. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 2:52 PM, mareo said:

Don't wanna go through 3 airports, 2 planes and a train and risk infecting my family. The situation with covid in my country is one of the worst. Plus, I have friends here and I'd like to stay more time. I would do a visa run, but as we already know, it's not possible.

Nope, plain and simple Tourist visa, no extension stamps yet.

Go to Thai Visa Centre in Facebook,egit and helpful ask for 90 day and they can help

Good luck to you. 

7 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

Who is asking for 60k? Immigration or an agent? 

In such situations, immigration always wants you to use a known agent as an intermediary. This protects both you and the officials from potential sting operations.

Thanks stevie1982 for confirming we can get 30 day extensions in Ubon for our tourist visas, that great news! I've also had the 60k quote from an agent in pattaya for a volunteer visa. The issue is, i've been here for a few years already legally, and i don't really want to go into the immigration office with a dodgy visa, I'm pretty sure you have to show a work permit, and there was no mention of this in the emails i recieved from the agent (perhaps this is how they'll catch catch people out later.)

How hard is it to get a business visa? I've been earning 130,000 baht + every month teaching online in China for 3 years and have a house in Ubon with my GF. Is it possible, and financially viable, to set up a company using family members and the house as office space for the business (to help satisfy the 2 million investment)? Quite happy to pay taxes and have a legal visa, rather than the headache that comes with 30 day extensions and embassy letters! I don't think there are any visa agents in Ubon. Thanks for any suggestions!

6 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Thanks stevie1982 for confirming we can get 30 day extensions in Ubon for our tourist visas, that great news! I've also had the 60k quote from an agent in pattaya for a volunteer visa. The issue is, i've been here for a few years already legally, and i don't really want to go into the immigration office with a dodgy visa, I'm pretty sure you have to show a work permit, and there was no mention of this in the emails i recieved from the agent (perhaps this is how they'll catch catch people out later.)

How hard is it to get a business visa? I've been earning 130,000 baht + every month teaching online in China for 3 years and have a house in Ubon with my GF. Is it possible, and financially viable, to set up a company using family members and the house as office space for the business (to help satisfy the 2 million investment)? Quite happy to pay taxes and have a legal visa, rather than the headache that comes with 30 day extensions and embassy letters! I don't think there are any visa agents in Ubon. Thanks for any suggestions!

You didn't mention it, but I presume you are under 50 years of age (so not eligible for a retirement Visa) as well as not married to your thai girlfriend (so not eligible for a marriage Visa).

Obviously that limits the options considerably.  But when making 130K a month, why you don't you apply for the Elite Visa (500K for a 5-year Visa).  You have the perfect profile for it...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply Peter, and yes, you are correct!

That was the original plan, use tourist visas and exemptions until i could afford that one. However, time is now running out, and we still have some work left on the house that needs to be paid for. It would take quite a few months of saving with all of the expenses i have going out at the moment. The COVID situation has scuppered my plans! I'm not eligible for the marriage visa as i'm technically married in the UK - she's a devout catholic who refused to get divorced, and i'm happy to abide by her wishes as i don't want to get married again!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

You didn't mention it, but I presume you are under 50 years of age (so not eligible for a retirement Visa) as well as not married to your thai girlfriend (so not eligible for a marriage Visa).

Obviously that limits the options considerably.  But when making 130K a month, why you don't you apply for the Elite Visa (500K for a 5-year Visa).  You have the perfect profile for it...

4 months salary for a 5-year visa is insane, especially when you can get a 15 month visa for 60,000 and renew it for another 12 months for 35,000. But we're departing from the original purpose of this thread which is to talk about extending tourist visas.

• Thanks 1

For me, the insane part is that it's only 1 million for 20 years, yet 500k for 5 years! if it was 250k, i'd have done it already and borrowed a little to cover all of my other costs. The volunteer option is unappealing to me just because it's not technically legal, and doing 90 day reports in Ubon with a volunteer visa from pattaya may be a bit suspect.  Has anyone done it already? There may be a further announcement from the government that may make this all pointless anyway. There's another thread somewhere that talks about the government considering long term visa options for people already here, as it is very difficult to get flights back at the moment, and land borders are still closed.

• Like 1

Problem with Thai Elite Visa is :

You have NO Garantee you can go out Thailand and come back. You may be restricted depending on witch country you go if a panic occurs, or cases in Thailand and borders closed again and again, insurrance 100K USD (can change any day why not 1Mo ?), tests, certificates, quarantines, etc. etc.

In short Elite Visa is an option ONLY if one is sure to STAY in Thailand. No travel. 5 years.

500K for that ? ????

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

4 months salary for a 5-year visa is insane, especially when you can get a 15 month visa for 60,000 and renew it for another 12 months for 35,000. But we're departing from the original purpose of this thread which is to talk about extending tourist visas.

When you are NOT eligible for a retirement or marriage Visa, and are looking for ways to stay long-term in Thailand in a legit and hassle-free way the Elite Visa is surely something to consider (that is, if you can afford it).

But you need to pay the 500K up front and that's of course a hurdle. 

Considering that you can squeeze 6 years of legit hassle-free stay out of the Elite Visa (83K per year, less than 250 THB per day), it is not totally insane if there are little other alternatives

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Problem with Thai Elite Visa is :

You have NO Garantee you can go out Thailand and come back. You may be restricted depending on witch country you go if a panic occurs, or cases in Thailand and borders closed again and again, insurrance 100K USD (can change any day why not 1Mo ?), tests, certificates, quarantines, etc. etc.

In short Elite Visa is an option ONLY if one is sure to STAY in Thailand. No travel. 5 years.

500K for that ? ????

As the name of the Visa already hints at, that Visa is meant for those for who 500K is 'peanuts' and that are fond of VIP-services like limousine transport from/to airport, special VIP entry-lanes and some other perks that come with the Elite Visa.

But under normal circumstances and when eligible for a retirement or marriage Visa, it is largely 'money wasted' (oh dear, this will invoke some angry responses form EV-holders arguing that it is well worth it).

• Thanks 1

Completely agree Peter, and i will be taking advantage of this when my finances settle (although it's not peanuts for me!). I do wish the price reflected the amount of years though (1 million for 20yrs - 5yrs for 500k!) For now though, is there any way to use my income to set up a company and get a business visa? I can show my money comes from abroad easily.

Edited by 2530Ubon