Best Advice For 3 Weeks!

kevio252

Hi

I am travelling to Thailand for 3 weeks and am trying to decided which way round to plan the trip.

I want to possibly go north, see bangkok and spend a lot of time South.

Will it be best to go to north first then work way down,

or go to Bangkok, north then straight down South,

or go South then visit bangkok last and miss out North?

Any suggestions or if any one has tried this in 3 weeks before... all advice very helpful

Thanks

Kev

u can spend a couple of days in bangkok each way....cos will need to use it as hub to get either north or south anyway.

now in terms of north or south...really depends on what you like more

the south obviously is mostly beaches....scuba diving, snorkelling, rock climbing, just chillin, sun tanning :o

while the north is mountains and trekking, bit more of different cultures (architecturally atleast..different styles of temples)

in 3 weeks its doable to go both north and south, u just have to decide where u want to spend more time.

south has: phuket, krabi, trang, phang nga

north: chiang rai, chianmai, Naan, and perhaps even MaeHongSon. from these places u can even go into Laos or Myanmar/Burma

and then theres the mid way town of Sukhothai....but if u skip that then u can go to ayutthaya which is doable as one day trip from bangkok.

cheers to my fellow gunner :D:D

cheers guys.

MiG... pleasure as always come on you Gunners!

Mark... not so much but thats only cause your the enemy! lol, cheers anyway!

BlackLabel - Nice one fella, will have a good old look at that. Looks really helpful, cheers

Anymore helpful hints?

There is a reaon there are sold at rock bottom prices! No one can get rid of them!

I heard the shop keepers are actually paing people to take them away

haha

Mark.. in to all kind of stuff the average 24 year bloke is! Drinkng, Partying and having as much fun as poss.

Colino... where is Hue Hin and whats there?

cheers dudes

Try not to plan too much before you go, you'll probably not stick to it anyway.

If your into your nightlife, then a few nights in bangkok, sukhumvit area is your best bet, taxi about the place a bit, khao san road, pat pong, etc..

Then get down to pattaya, you'll love it, i'm the same age as you so trust me on that one!

Dont stay there too long, you'll regret it later, make your way down to the islands koh samui, koh pangnan and them on to phuket,

These places will get the partying out of your system, then make your way back up past bangkok to chiang mai, stopping on the way if you can.

There is absolutely loads of places to go!

Just dont get trapped and spend all your time in the more hedonistic places such as pattaya, as I said you'll regret it later.

Have fun!

Hue hin is down south on the way to the above mentioned islands cool chill beach for that much needed R& R after a few days in pattaya, :o but mate don't get sucked in or should i say suckerd when there,,,,please excuse the pun lads :D

Just dont get trapped and spend all your time in the more hedonistic places such as pattaya, as I said you'll regret it later.

someone speaking from experience huh :o

HuaHin is nice....but maybe a bit quiet for you kev......but certainly worth a stop over maybe for a couple of days while heading further south (if you are not taking the plane)

and yes lots of partying places in bangkok, but as said before and by others...you can do that in between trips north and south....and before flying back out to the land of the Gunners :D

Yes MiG spent far too much time in patters, it starts to get to you after a while, hence I avoid the place pretty much now, It's a must for a 24 year old lad though!

Mark von white hart lane

It's a must for a 24 year old lad though!

Mark von white hart lane

a must from the white hart lane crowd apparently :o

but hey i got nothing against single guys going to do whatever it is they do in pattaya :D

Nice one peps...

I am going with my girlfriend so will Pattaya still be a good idea ?

Nooooo!

Ok theres still lots of stuff to do with your misses in patters, but not in the original sense that I meant.

You might want to concentrate on other areas of thailand, it's not so much that she wont like pattaya more the case that you'll be gutted that she came with you.

Have a good time gooner

Edited by markr

Yes MiG spent far too much time in patters, it starts to get to you after a while, hence I avoid the place pretty much now, It's a must for a 24 year old lad though!

Mark von white hart lane

Go to Patters last - will find it hard to leave if you go there in the beginning. You will most likely be back to Thailand after this trip so no worries. :o

well my girlfriend is pretty cool so she wont mind seeing the ways of the world, but I think maybe a night or two will do then shoot off to Ko Samet.

Koh Samet - very quiet, so if looking to chill then this would be your spot. Might give Koh Chang a look - far better than Koh Samet. :o

I much prefer the northern areas over the southern but have done a trip covering both - it went like this:-

• A few days in Bangkok - book trains and flights (unless arranged prior to arrival)
  • Bus to Pattaya and a few days easing into the climate and time zone
  • Back to Bangkok and the overnight train from Bangkok to Songkhla and connect with a boat to Koh Samui
  • Four days on a beach
  • Flight from Koh Samui to Chiang Mai
  • A week in the north - lots to see and do
  • Night train from from Chainag Mai back to Bangkok
  • Bangkok for some last minute shopping, reconfirm flights etc.

With the benefit of hindsight I would avoid the south altogether and get my beach time closer to Bangkok - I just don't see why the long trip to the south is worth it (personal view and obviously in conflict with the many people who love the region).

Don't forget places like Kanchanaburi and Lopburi to base your self for the great things to see and do in this area.

Personal view:-

• Bangkok for a few days
  • Side trip to Kanchanaburi (bus) for 2 days
  • Overnight train (from Bangkok) to Chiang Mai
  • Flight back to Bangkok
  • Bus (or taxi) to Pattaya
  • Bangkok for last minuet stuff

Hope this helps :o

Edited by Stekmer

[*]Back to Bangkok and the overnight train from Bangkok to Songkhla and connect with a boat to Koh Samui

[*]Four days on a beach

[*]Flight from Koh Samui to Chiang Mai

Personal view:-

[*]Bangkok for a few days

[*]Side trip to Kanchanaburi (bus) for 2 days

[*]Overnight train (from Bangkok) to Chiang Mai

[*]Flight back to Bangkok

[*]Bus (or taxi) to Pattaya

[*]Bangkok for last minuet stuff

just to mention that in the suggestion by Stekmer, the overnight train from bangkok should go to Surat Thani (and NOT songkhla) if you plan to take ferry /boat to Koh Samui :D

in terms of the suggestion, its mainly a question of taste, but just keep in mind that if going south you should check the monsoon period for the east and western coast (andaman and gulf of thailand sides)

maybe try this schedule:

Bangkok (1 day/1night)

Pattaya (1day/1night) --- if you must :o

back to Bangkok then make your way up north: Chiangrai by Airasia flight

with ChiangRai as base do the surrounding areas (maybe 3 days total)

from Chiangrai to ChiangMai -- spend 3-5 days here

ChiangMai to Bangkok (either by train or Airasia or Orient Air Flight)

From Bangkok head down south

Bus to HuaHin -- 2 days here

HuaHin to Phuket -- 3 days here

Phuket to Krabi -- I would spend a week here :bah:

Krabi to Trang and PhangNga -- a couple -3 days in each place (or you can do only one)

(alternatively switch the order from Phuket go to Trang/PhangNga then Krabi, and from Krabi you can fly low cost airline back to Bangkok) From Trang there is flight to Bangkok (I think), but not a lowcost airline. otherwise you have to take either train or bus back to Bangkok.

Now that you are towards hte end of your stay, spend a few days looking at bangkok and surrounds:

day trip to Ayutthaya

day trip to Kanchanaburi or Floating Market

day trip to KohKred (in Nonthaburi)

Bangkok City -- Grand Palace, Musuems, Jim Thompson House, China Town, Orchid farm

Bangkok city (Shopping) -- MBK or MahBoonKrong, Siam Square area (this includes Siam Centre, Discovery, Central World, Gaysorn etc etc :D, Panthip Plaza, Pratunam Market, Suan Lum night bazaar (if they havent got rid of it by then :D )

for night life during all these evening that you are in Bangkok...PM for details :D its a vewyyyyyyyyyyy longggggggg list :bah:

Hi

I am travelling to Thailand for 3 weeks and am trying to decided which way round to plan the trip.

Any suggestions or if any one has tried this in 3 weeks before... all advice very helpful

Thanks

Kev

Untill you said that your going with your girlfriend I was going to say Dont make plans!

Once you have had that first Heinikken and the 'radar' kicks in, all plans usually get kicked into the long grass anyway!

:o

Hi

Thanks

Kev

Untill you said that your going with your girlfriend I was going to say Dont make plans!

Once you have had that first Heinikken and the 'radar' kicks in, all plans usually get kicked into the long grass anyway!

:o

Thats true. I have been to Thailand before so know what to expect, just don't have too much time to potter around so need to make the most of the 3 weeks and show my girlfriend as much as poss. But without spending too much time on transport!