PM Prayut: Gold mine closure case is in response to public demand

webfact

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Then don't allow mining companies in. You can't sign international agreements and just null and void them 'cause your prime minster doesn't understand that article 44 doesn't apply outside of Thailand. There are rules and protocols to be followed for a reason.

This was a massive schoolboy error by a rookie prime minister. He won't be paying a dime but the tax payers will. 

A rookie PM. Ah, you mean he's been checkmated on the international stage. What a Spassky.

Just now, SupermarineS6B said:

Reminds me of something i once saw on a pub wall, "How do you make a small fortune in Thailand, Start with a big one" ..........When will foreigners realize that when you come to Thailand you're not supposed to make money but give money, in large amounts to lazy grafting toe rags.  I can remember when we all used to drink Carlsberg beer as most other beer drinkers did all over the world, all until someone in Thailand wanted Carlsbergs business and got them kicked out of Thailand, the cheeky barstuard even started selling his own Pi$# in the same bottles ........ Enter Beer Chang.........    Prayut must have a mate who wants a functioning gold mine........

I seem to remember that Chang was about 6.5% first time I visited Thailand. I got suckered in then they reduced it. A bit like Thai girls and their padded bras.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Thai politics all about keeping your snout in the trough for as long as you possibly can, fighting off other people who want to get their snout in the trough, then when it finally hits the fan you flee with as much ill-gotten gains as possible? 

On the nail...........  But flee after you've just bought a few submarines for a duck pond......  or possibly flogged a strategic port to a foreign power......  Then it's all gravy from then on......... 

I'd like to have a quiet word with a few bankers down in Singapore just to see how much "Tea money's" flowing into someone's account.......  I know it is as one of my family used to "Move" money for the TMB........  Ooooooh it's out now..... 

Edited by SupermarineS6B

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

The way gold companies retrieve gold is a threat to public health if not done properly. In a lot of cases they don't bother to do so.

I wouldn't say this doesn't happen. However we have here a fairly reputable gold miner operating on 3 continents. So allegedly chemicals were found in the groundwater of the Phichit region. I have seen the area where the mine is, and close by there are a number of "black" gold mining sites, where anything goes. 

All shareholders were approached by a company, name I dont recall, let's just call them London spivs, two or three years back to buy them out at a cheap price. Part of the pitch was that they had an in with the Thai Government to reopen. Unfortunately for them Kingsgate had an insurance policy for political risk which has now paid out $80 million US, plus a quite promising approved project in Chile ready to go and the price offered was ludicrously low. The share price has improved 5 fold since then. The TAFTA hearing has been held in Singapore and judgement is reserved til pretty soon I guess. If it goes in the companies favour that 80 million plus costs plus extra will be payable by Thailand. Maybe the mine will reopen with some deal instead of cash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

We all know that he was not elected by the Thai citizens, but who was it that did appoint him? Did he just decide to carry on as "PM" by himself?

Carry On PM - another Peter Rogers production?

I can just see our illustrious leader on the receiving 'end' of Kenneth Williams - Ooh, matron!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I seem to remember that Chang was about 6.5% first time I visited Thailand. I got suckered in then they reduced it. A bit like Thai girls and their padded bras.

When Chang first came out it was rare if one bottle was the same strength as the other and it could vary from 6.5 to rocket fuel and after a while you worked out why people always drank it with ice cubes to dilute it.  The same caution was necessary when ordering a cocktail in the old Climax disco on Soi 11,  ( Now closed down of course ) the cocktails used to be made with something that was definitely not alcohol, more like ethanol or methanol but they used to have the same hang over effect as Chang........   Ah, happy days in Lie land....... 

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Trimming... I'd call that slashing !

Indeed ! I assume this kind of arbitration is expensive, THB 12 million is not going to get you very far in Singapore with legal costs...

Another news source I cannot name has actually reported that the budget is 'trimmed' by THB 12 million not to THB 12 million. (THB 99 million).

It will be interesting to watch the arbitration case as it unfolds, I have a feeling it may not be a favourable outcome for the Thai government.

I find it hard to see that the Thai 'experts' they present as witnesses will hold up in an international environment terribly well.

• Like 1

They are going to lose this case, and the PM is solely responsible.  If there was an actual issue locally, why did they not work directly with the mining company to solve the problem?  They could have learned something.  Australians are mining experts.  Another cover up for a stocking stuffing plan gone wrong.