After UAE-Israel breakthrough, Kushner pushes other Arabs to go next

webfact

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

How people chose to live is not the concern of other countries.

Not everyone wants mcmansions and things that go with western values.

Not sure how or what you meant. The Palestinians would surly like better housing, facilities and the rest of the material stuff taken for granted in many other places. Their current predicament is not due to a choice to live poorly, but stems from bad decision making by leaderships, and of course, Israel's actions.

You could look up hotels in Gaza, quite alright ones, where the rich, the influential and foreign delegations can stay in a bubble. Or look up a some of the streets where the Gaza elite (and some of Hamas leaders) reside, not too shabby either. In the West Bank, one good example of such wishes is Rawabi (difficulties notwithstanding).

Wanting a mcmansion doesn't have a whole lot to do with "western values".

6 hours ago, Morch said:

No "disinformation" (how does this even apply?), just unclear as to how far this imaginary boycott of yours goes and how ridiculous it is.

I'm sure my boycott of Emirates and Etihad will hardly affect their profit margin. But if others who support BDS act likewise, it may have an impact.

Boycotts of course do have an effect. That's why Israel sends $millions through its hasbara propaganda machine trying to discredit BDS.

The bottom line for me is the principle: I will sleep better at night knowing my money is not in the pockets of UAE dictators who endorse Israel's apartheid regime

Edited by dexterm

@dexterm

Yes, it's not that I think your imaginary boycott is particularly effective, just curious about the logic behind it.

That they UAE "endorse" the Israeli occupation of the Palestinians and/or most related policies is nonsense. Countries all over the world have relations while remaining critical of or disagreed on various issues. Other than in your extreme view, there is no such "endorsement". Countries can be almost hostile to each other and still have relations.

So to go back to the original question about this, what's the difference (on this matter) between the UAE and, say, the EU, the USA, the UK, the PRC, Russia, or even Thailand. By the "reasoning" on offer, you'd have to boycott all of them, as they have relations with Israel and guilty of the "sin" of "endorsing".

I also suspect that your imaginary boycott is made somewhat easier by the Corona/Covid-19 situation, which sees general air traffic dwindling. If not for that, and with other countries in the region opening their airspace for flights to/from Israel, probably some changes in routs/deals. 

Edited by Morch