Different tyre sizes on same car

petermik

Gents I,m considering changing my tyres from the stock 195/55/16 to 205/55/16 as there is more choice of brands and cheaper....my rear tyres have another 8/10 kms life on them (about 4/5 months) and I am thinking of replacing them with 205/55/16,s putting them on the front as my cars a front wheel drive and the 195/55/16,s on the back until they wear out and then replace with 205/55/16,s will this work?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Woodsie888 said:

The ideal size to change to is 205/50/16. Very similar in height to the 195/55

This.

i know I’m talking about a different car, but my 1988 911 had 205/55/16 on the front and 225/50/16 on the rear.   The aspect ratio is explained by this...

“The aspect ratio is a percentage. It's the height of the sidewall measured from wheel rim to top of the tread, expressed as a percentage of tire width. In other words, it's sidewall height divided by tire width. In this example, the aspect ratio is 65, meaning the sidewall is 65 percent as high as the tire is wide.“

https://www.lesschwab.com/article/tire-size-explained-reading-the-sidewall.html

1 hour ago, andygrr said:

No major problem as long as left and right are the same size. But consider this what size spare would you carry. If you needed to fit the spare and run for any distance you would be compromised. 

Put the larger tyre on the drive wheels, many modern cars are front wheel drive. In many cases the "spare wheel" is a much smaller tyre only to used in an emergercy aand with restrictions on use.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:05 AM, Woodsie888 said:

The ideal size to change to is 205/50/16. Very similar in height to the 195/55

And same price so no benefit...205/55/R16 much cheaper and more choice,I,m getting around 40/45,000 kms from a set of tyres here (Bridgestone)....a couple of years use basically this is why I,m looking at alternatives :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Put the 205s on the rear axle and the 195's on the front. I very much doubt if there is a production car out there with wider tyres on the front. The speedo error will be minimal.

If you get a puncture and have to use a spare I'd be making sure that the two fronts are the same size as they are handling both the drive and the steering.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 11:37 AM, petermik said:

205/55/16,s putting them on the front as my cars a front wheel drive and the 195/55/16,s on the back

Your car will look little funny other than hat nothing will go wrong. I thought you are going to have the wider ones on the rear till I read your last sentences. 

On 9/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, Justgrazing said:

Should be fine .. your only increasing the width 10 mm .. 

May have a very marginal increase in fuel consumption but it should be fractional .. though I'd put the 205's on the rear and 195's to front until your ready to replace those with 205's also .. 

Agree wider ones on the rear.

• Like 1