Anti Virus Software

Rainmaker

In terms of detection capability there are four at the top 99%+ scores and those are:

Antivir - Free and quite light on resources

nod32 - $39 and lightweight as well, with good rootkit protection. (my personal choice)

Kaspersky - $49 with the fastest updates in the business.

Norton/Symantec - $49 Good detection scores but a bloated pig of a program. I can't stand it.

I do NOT recommend:

Microsoft One Care - The antispyware component is good, but the antivirus is very poor.

Panda - Was dropped from testing by some labs due to poor performance.

AVG - Look at most of the people coming here asking for help with viruses. They are almost all running AVG. It consistently scores poorly in lab tests against other AV's.

Another thing I avoid are "Security Suites" that try to do everything. They tend to hog resources and I think it's better to get the best of each security component separately.

Why buy one? AVG have a brilliant free anti virus program http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
I heard that they stopped support/definition updates for AVG in February

With that in mind, i junked it in favour of Avast! free edition (www.avast.com)

First impressions indicate its just as good as AVG was

Penkoprod

AVG stopped support for the 7.1 versions in January, but it continues for 7.5

Yes, Avast is good, particularly the mail and P2P scanners.

Hi,

Avast is not only free but out of all the antiviruses out on the market I have never contracted any viruses . Besides it seems to be the very few that do not have any problems with Microsoft operating systems.

Kayspersky failed norton has quirks & cost yearly AVG discontinued for a while Macefee is a total joke.

They ran this thread 3 months ago & the general consensus was avast was the top dog.

But again it is up to the user, if what your using is adequate & works use what suits you.

I just like the fact the avast has never missed on quarenteening a virus & the best part is it is FREE!!!!

good luck Beardog

nod32 - $39 and lightweight as well, with good rootkit protection. (my personal choice)

FYI:

Sa-Ed Bookstore in Chiang Mai sell the Nod32 for 800 baht. (The real deal. Not a pirated version!) A great application at a bargain price.

Edited by Rice_King