Beware of Ayutthaya Floating Market!

Pawpal

Its not really a market if you have to pay anything at all to enter. Just a tourist attraction posing as a market.

Lam Phaya was probably one of the better floating markets out there. No admission fee , lots of good food and they have 1 hour boat trips up and down the river for a reasonable fee ( same price for all )

We used to go with a bottle of wine get a table on the boat , fill it with food from the market then enjoy the trip whilst filling our bellies. Excellent value. Might be a bit too well known by now although the difficult access kept tourists away. ( turn sound off before watching  )

• Like 2

There are several floating markets in Ayutthaya.  I presume, based upon the description, that the OP is referring to Ayothaya Floating Market.  (Ayothaya is not the same as Ayutthaya - it's not a transcription issue, the Thai spelling is different.)  This is the floating market off the island to the east, adjacent to the elephant "attraction" and (I believe) under the same ownership.

Best not to tar all floating markets in Ayutthaya with the same brush.

17 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Due to dual pricing, Thailand has lost tens of thousands of baht over the years just from me...friends family visiting never go...how many others are the same...must be into millions of baht, although I suppose that is recouped by the ones that pay.

Same here, Thai friends know that attempts to subject me to blatent Thai greed and racism would only put me instantly into a very bad mood so they will never suggest we visit one of these rip off "attractions"

• Like 1

From what I can tell this is a private venture, not like a national park or govt sponsored area.  Took the family there on a trip June this year, what a sad place.   First thing I noticed was the elephants outside the pay area, the wooden posts had just been painted red and the elephants had red paint all over them.  Not an elephant expert but they looked not to be in good shape.  Bypassed that and got to the entrance, $200 baht for me and family free, ok I will go to check it out just to see what is up.  Inside was overpriced sub par food, overpriced cheap souvenirs but you do get a ride around a dirty pond!  My wife (Thai) asked me why would someone pay money to go spend more money? 

6 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

I just refuse to go into any place with dual pricing and my wife tells the ticket office in no uncertain terms what she thinks about them trying to rip off her husband and her child's father. 

Learn to tell them in Thai yourself...might get you a little more respect than having your wife fight you battles. 

• Haha 1

First time I went, about 4 years ago, parked up round the back and walked in oblivious to the entrance fee with 4 other Thais.

Second time got caught with the 200 baht entrance fee, a big round sticker on your shirt ( in case anyone mistakes you for a Thai ) and a boat ride round the green lake !!

Never been back .

Go regularly to Wat Maheyong ( gf’s place of worship ) and often see the elephants from “ elephant village “ attached to the Floating market grazing in the fields or by the pond that’s as close as I get to paying another 200 baht !!

F48A1F54-9D54-4B5C-BC08-8B60DE3183E9.thumb.jpeg.ad476355f8950b389aa657277b3334dd.jpeg

DEE141DE-294E-44AC-B864-ECF8D927DB99.thumb.jpeg.990730117711aeb9a3a58ead03ca06c1.jpeg

I got taken to the Pattaya floating market by some Thai friends on Saturday, same, Thais all free and me pay 200 baht (well, the wife paid). It is just a tourist trap and because of Covid-19 over half of the stalls and 'attractions' were closed down. The highlight of the visit was seeing a water monitor very slowly swim across the dirty water in front of me. I told the wife i wanted a refund, but, of course, she was far too embarrassed to do that after our friends had taken us there. Oh at least the toilets were free....

On 9/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, dimitriv said:

And there is also not much floating there.

If you do not want to pay you can follow the road, pass the paid entrance at the right. After a couple of minutes walking you will see that there are more entrances, where you can go in without paying.

I do the same at my local temple, at the main entrance is a big sign saying "foreigners pay 60 baht entrance"

the temple grounds are in the form of a square, walk around the corner and use a side entrance, no charge !