First day on “big” bike-  Honda CB500X 2017 – Thoughts/Concerns

Scaliwags66

55 minutes ago, 12Gon said:

I used to have a Versys, it is a bigger engine with lots of more torque, I prefer that engine to the CB500X. Still , now I am riding a CB500X. Mainly because it is much better in the city. I felt that the Versys was top heavy and harder to navigate in town. I prefer the smoother ABS on the CB (maybe the Versys ABS has improved on later models). All over the CB is more relaxed to ride, I feel that I have much better control and it never surprises me. The Versys was more fun to ride, is better for overtaking on the highways etc. But for a beginner on a new bike. Honda is just easier, without feeling boring. BTW, I am 6'2 and Versys don't even win the ergonomics battle for me. Much more crunched hip angle on the older Versys. Check out http://cycle-ergo.com/ for info 

Good luck!

What this guy said!!!

Power is addictive and as you get more experience you may want more, most do including myself

For starting off and gaining that all important confidence and experience I don't believe you can get better than a 500x. It's forgiving and not intimidating plus light and well balanced

I would argue as a first step into bigger bikes it's probably better than some smaller capacity bikes thinking Ninja 400, Mt 03 and the KTM 390 because its not as hyper and high revving

I really don't think you can go wrong but like you said you need to take off the scooter hat and just do it, don't listen to the people who are frightened of their own shadows

Take it easy and if possible get a bit of training. As for traffic I could go virtually anywhere in downtown Pattaya that you could go on a scooter as well as get myself out of danger much quicker, soon becomes second nature...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

For the city, there is no need to go beyond a scooter.

The posters saying that you don't need anything more powerful than a scooter clearly haven't been in a Thai road outside of Bangkok or small cities. You're much more vulnerable in a scooter when cruising outside of cities.

The CB500x is a great beginners bike and very comfortable, I think you are just nervous and tensing your muscles. It's well suited for long distance touring but the handling is not great and it's very heavy (210 kg).

I suggest you try a few more bikes before deciding what to buy.

Try a few more in the range 400 to 650 from other brands and see how you feel. I do not recommend going over 650, and even some 650 are way overpowered like the CB650, although the Versys 650 is OK (but again, very heavy).

A Ducati Scrambler is a great beginner bike too, and it handles much more like a scooter than the CB500x. It has traction control and all the bells and whistles, so it doesn't feel more dangerous than the CB500x. It is an 800 but feels light and nimble, and the power delivery is very smooth, good for a beginner. It's also fantastic for the city.

It's what you define as a scooter.  There are many scooters I would not take on a trip outside a city but I would do it with a PCX or Nmax or a Forza or Xmax.  They are more than adequate here.

And I keep seeing the "get myself out of danger" with those arguing for bigger bikes. I am more concerned with good brakes and suspension here than horsepower.  Speed kills.  Brakes save lives.  And interestingly where acceleration is important such as from a pack of mbikes at a light in the city you can generally take off a lot quicker from an automatic with a 150 or higher cc than a big bike due to the need to not shift.  

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

It's what you define as a scooter.  There are many scooters I would not take on a trip outside a city but I would do it with a PCX or Nmax or a Forza or Xmax.  They are more than adequate here.

A Forza or Xmax are a different class than the PCX or Nmax. The first one is doable outside of a city, the second one is not.

Would you ride a PCX / Nmax from BKK to Phuket? Yeah it's doable, but it's also insane, and much more dangerous than doing the same trip on any big bike.

The Forza / Xmax would be OK for that trip, but a CB500X would be much better.

Edited by Barnabe

1 minute ago, Barnabe said:

A Forza or Xmax are a different class than the PCX or Nmax. The first one is doable outside of a city, the second one is not.

Would you ride a PCX from BKK to Phuket? Yeah it's doable, but it's also insane.

Why is it insane?  Many here have ridden smaller bikes such as 125 or even 110 across Thailand and its been done across Vietnam all the time.  Why is it inherently more dangerous to ride an Nmax or PCX with high quality tires and ABS brakes cruising at 90-100 km/hr please present your reasons.

7 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

And I keep seeing the "get myself out of danger" with those arguing for bigger bikes. I am more concerned with good brakes and suspension here than horsepower.  Speed kills.  Brakes save lives.

I think you will find in general motorcycles have much better brakes and suspension than scooters

Having the power to go around a numpty and create space has saved me more than once and no doubt will do so again

It's been mentioned before by other posters but do not disregard what has been mentioned about the average road user being more aware of bigger bikes it's a massive benefit 

3 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Why is it insane?  Many here have ridden smaller bikes such as 125 or even 110 across Thailand and its been done across Vietnam all the time.  Why is it inherently more dangerous to ride an Nmax or PCX with high quality tires and ABS brakes cruising at 90-100 km/hr please present your reasons.

Many have done it in Europe to Asia trips. Does that make it safe, or a good idea?

Have you ever rode 600km in a Thai highway? Do you ride regularly on highways? How are you going escape if you have two trucks overtaking each other and closing in on you?

Most traffic in highways runs above 120 km/h. You're gonna be slower than them, and overtaken by trucks. It's incredibly unsafe. Don't compare Vietnam or other places, the average speed there is much lower than in Thailand.

I'm with you inside the city - scooter is the way to go AND safer. But outside, in a main road? No way.

There's no power to escape dangerous situations. The brakes are OK but miles from the brakes on a proper bike like the CB500X.

• Like 2

He asked for a type motorbike 500cc and you discussing Forza? 

I ask for a sports car, and you guys start telling me I should buy a pick up? 

and if you do not understand a 150cc is more dangerous travelling a bit further than the local pub, you should not drive at all! 

It is all about flexibillity, to choose position, escape possibilities and keep the traffic behind you! At least most of it. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

and if you do not understand a 150cc is more dangerous travelling a bit further than the local pub, you should not drive at all! 

ha ha

papa has ridden 150cc all over Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and some Vietnam.

5 5

Cruise at 120-130 if desired.

no prob.

????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnabe said:

Would you ride a PCX / Nmax from BKK to Phuket? Yeah it's doable, but it's also insane, and much more dangerous than doing the same trip on any big bike.

The Forza / Xmax would be OK for that trip, but a CB500X would be much better.

otoh it can also be argued that the scooter is better for long trips, because with a scooter you can rest assured

that there will be a repair shop within 100 meters from where it broke, while with a real bike the only option is to phone a big bike dealer to come and pick it up, order spare parts from singapore, and get it running again in a couple of weeks, at the cost of 15k, plus 5k for picking up the bike at the road

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, papa al said:

ha ha

papa has ridden 150cc all over Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and some Vietnam.

5 5

Cruise at 120-130 if desired.

no prob.

????

Thats not the point! Papa like, good for papa

Edited by Tagged

2 hours ago, Barnabe said:

Many have done it in Europe to Asia trips. Does that make it safe, or a good idea?

Have you ever rode 600km in a Thai highway? Do you ride regularly on highways? How are you going escape if you have two trucks overtaking each other and closing in on you?

Most traffic in highways runs above 120 km/h. You're gonna be slower than them, and overtaken by trucks. It's incredibly unsafe. Don't compare Vietnam or other places, the average speed there is much lower than in Thailand.

I'm with you inside the city - scooter is the way to go AND safer. But outside, in a main road? No way.

There's no power to escape dangerous situations. The brakes are OK but miles from the brakes on a proper bike like the CB500X.

Exactly. With power you can escape trouble, or pass car and trucks more safely.

Better brakes, better tires too ! The front tire is your life !

And suspensions. It's very important with the roads here, holes etc.

Really good on 500X i find.

2 hours ago, mark131v said:

I think you will find in general motorcycles have much better brakes and suspension than scooters

Having the power to go around a numpty and create space has saved me more than once and no doubt will do so again

It's been mentioned before by other posters but do not disregard what has been mentioned about the average road user being more aware of bigger bikes it's a massive benefit 

Not convince about this point (agree with previous) : too many Thaïs drivers don't give a s., they pass in front of you (opposite way), thinking you should go sideway maybe ?...

I have found that only the extra lights (preferably flashing) reduce this criminal behaviour by 95%+

Without, Big Bike vs scooter, maybe only 50% less opposite enemies ????

Cheap. Can make a big difference.

5 hours ago, tlandtday said:

As I mentioned earlier why you necessarilly think you need a bigger bike here is beyond me. 

Pre covid... me and some mates ride from Pattaya to Buriram every time the car races (and motoGP) are on...

No chance would I consider that ride on a scooter.

Recently picked up an XSR900, what a beast of a bike, Can't wait till the next race in Buriram (Last weekend October) to get out and stretch its legs.

Edited by Don Mega

5 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Look you can get an nmax or pcx with antilock brakes add some led lights if necessary and you have plenty of visibility.  The danger with big bikes is the increased speed which will slow your your reaction time to dog or cart running out of nowhere in front of  you.  And it is debatable whether the idiots with illegally tinted windshields can see anything and at night good luck.  That is the reality of thailand it is not the same as riding the interstates lol.

And remember on Thai roads over confidence can easily kill you.  

Scooters are great.... they’re convenient and one can open their legs and feel the wind on their vagina.... 

Seriously though - I agree the single facet of larger HP motorcycles and the potential to reach higher speeds more quickly and more readily. But, that is not the only facet of road safety. 

I had a Yamaha TriCity 150cc ABS - I wish I had never sold it. Its the perfect city bike (IMO). But, it would do no good out on the main roads. 

A motorcycle needs to feel comfortable at 120kmh, which means it needs a top end of close to 160kmh so it can cruise at 120km easily without screaming, without vibration etc..  the scooters and 300cc bikes just can’t offer that. 

I completely agree with you - Idiots with tinted windshields cannot see at night. Add to that, drunks don’t pay attention at night. Roads are poorly lit and one us unable to see potholes and other ‘debris’.... 

Driving at night (outside of the city) is a no-no for me. Riding at night anywhere (in city or outside) is a definite no-no for me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Laid it down almost immediately tryin to do a U turn in small soi. Basically tried to lean in to it and turn sharp as if on a scooter. Quickly realized it is not a scooter lol.

yes you don't know how to ride a motorcycle. and in fact your scooter experience will count against you. 

you need to learn. or you will kill yourself very easily going into a slight turn on a highway just a little too fast. right over into oncoming traffic you will go.  

please watch some basic 101 how to ride a motorcycle videos on youtube.  

stopping starting turning u turning. curves, emergency braking. 

again you don't know how to ride a motorcycle. 

Edited by NCC1701A

36 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

yes you don't know how to ride a motorcycle. and in fact your scooter experience will count against you. 

you need to learn. or you will kill yourself very easily going into a slight turn on a highway just a little too fast. right over into oncoming traffic you will go.  

please watch some basic 101 how to ride a motorcycle videos on youtube.  

stopping starting turning u turning. curves, emergency braking. 

again you don't know how to ride a motorcycle. 

Which is why he [the Op] is asking for advice and has already pointed out he will take lessons at a recommended riding school. 

Additionally: One of the major facets of riding here is being familiar with the randomness of the traffic, the mentality other road users and the outlandish stupidity witnessed. Riding a scooter is a good learning curve for local road behaviour because I don’t think even the most defensive rider could ever envisage that somchai will turn right onto your side (the wrong side) of the road without looking and ride straight towards you expecting you to get out of his way...  its something that needs to be seen !

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Just now, Barnabe said:

I have ridden all over Thailand but it does not sound like you have.  Traffic here does not move at 120 km and above.  More like 90-100 and many slower vehicles such as farm trucks etc. under 80.  Sure there is always someone blowing by at very high speeds and your solution is to do the same stupid thing to stay in first place.  I have never here or in three other countries had two trucks bearing down on me and if I did I would simply pull over and let them pass lol.

I have debated getting a bigger bike here but I realize if I do it is either do to ego or boredom and not necessarily practicality.

• Like 1

no lessons was needed for me, except that one time when

i was going to turn on a dime and my leg could not carry the weight of the bike, what an embarrassment.

but anyway, after a week i had adjusted sufficiently

to be comfy and know the general gist of what i could do.

from a safety aspect, i rate the fat tyres as the biggest factor,

those tyres dont go flat, you can feel the difference when they got no air but its not like on a scooter that just collapses underneath you when the front tyre goes flat

4 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I have ridden all over Thailand but it does not sound like you have.  Traffic here does not move at 120 km and above.  More like 90-100 and many slower vehicles such as farm trucks etc. under 80.  Sure there is always someone blowing by at very high speeds and your solution is to do the same stupid thing to stay in first place.  I have never here or in three other countries had two trucks bearing down on me and if I did I would simply pull over and let them pass lol.

I have debated getting a bigger bike here but I realize if I do it is either do to ego or boredom and not necessarily practicality.

That’s just incorrect. I seriously doubt you have done major highway kilometres in Thailand, you really don’t know what you’re talking about or have any experience of it.

Out in the sticks on smaller roads sure, traffic is slow, but you clearly haven’t done BKK - Hua Hin, BKK - Pattaya or longer trips on highways (highways - not side roads).

It’s all doable on a 150cc scooter if you like to get pushed into the shoulder by trucks or stay behind them and get sand and / or rocks in your face.
But that’s not the argument here, the argument is what is safer.

And there’s no way anyone with highway riding experience here will tell you with a straight face that a 150cc scooter is safer than any “big” bike (300+ cc) on a highway.

Not to mention that brakes on a PCX at 100 kph are nowhere near as effective as brakes on a CB500X at 120+ kph.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PaoloR said:

If you move to Krabi be aware:

500 range from Honda has to be serviced at Honda Big Wing. You will have to drive to Phuket for any maintenance.

Kawasaki Versys can be serviced at Kawasaki dealer on Maharat Road in Krabi.

If you are tall the Versys is a more comfortable bike.

Great contribution and many important points. 

I would add to your post, do not ride before sunrise and after sunset on the highways or det district roads. Minimize the risk, as well in heavy rain. We do that sometimes in bigger groups, with fog lights and hazard lights on. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1