First day on “big” bike-  Honda CB500X 2017 – Thoughts/Concerns

Scaliwags66

A lot of good advice for OP from experience big motorbike riders, naturally. But they also keep mentioning scooters without specifying what type. For me there are 3 categories, small 125cc affairs, the mid PCX and Nmax 150, and then the Maxi scooters, Xmax and Forza 300...., very different stories....

I also keep thinking about a bigger proper bike like CB500X or Versys 650 or even a cruiser like Rebel or Vulcan, but every time I go on a trip with my old model Forza 2016, I come back smiling and think why do I need a bigger bike...! 

Xmax and Forza are very practical, super comfy with huge space under the seat, no need for those ugly boxes..., fat tires and dual channel ABS brakes, they stop just as good as any bigger bike. Heavy and with low center of gravity very planted on open road at speed and easy to handle for any beginner or expert..., can stretch legs and change seating position, very comfy, very big seat , even for pillion...

Easy to find parts and most mechanics "claim" to know how to fix them...! 

You are also more protected from wind and rain (specially waist down) , and no special foot gear needed, no clutch , grear change, or foot brake. With all the panels and the gap on the middle, a bit safer on slow speed crashes, feet are less exposed and can't get caught under a heavy falling big bike...

So what is better on a bigger proper motorbike, more power and bigger wheels, specially for off road, or big pot holes..., saying that last week I went for a 500km round trip with a pillion, doing easily 100/120 kmph, no problem and very comfy, and no problem on small wheels..., good roads all the way and in surrounding areas...

So I suggest also renting a Maxi scooter, and try that before committing to a big bike.

The extra power against a 300cc is good, but rarely used in reality on Thai roads, there is no German autoban here. Last week I was coming back at 110 kmph, some idiot decided to do a Uturn right in front of me, to them bikes don't exist let alone doing 100+ , very scary moment...! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The OP (and perhaps a few members on here) really needs to understand the difference between "steering" and "countersteering".

Go look at a few videos on youtube or similar and then go practice (preferably on a quite soi/road) and ensure you know how to do it.

Mastering countersteering can save your ass and is a must know !!! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A motorcycle needs to feel comfortable at 120kmh, which means it needs a top end of close to 160kmh so it can cruise at 120km easily without screaming, without vibration etc..  the scooters and 300cc bikes just can’t offer that. 

This...........these guys that ride scooters claiming can cruise all day 90/110 km/r are talking utter <deleted>......1 your speedo isn’t anywhere near accurate so you probably doing 85 and your not cruising at all you are ringing the bikes neck stressing the engine and suspension and riding tensed up near to the road edge worrying about what pot hole or dodgy 10 wheeler truck is gonna take you out.

2 minutes ago, taninthai said:

This...........these guys that ride scooters claiming can cruise all day 90/110 km/r are talking utter <deleted>......1 your speedo isn’t anywhere near accurate so you probably doing 85 and your not cruising at all you are ringing the bikes neck stressing the engine and suspension and riding tensed up near to the road edge worrying about what pot hole or dodgy 10 wheeler truck is gonna take you out.

Not on a Maxi scooters 300 or higher, on lower cc it's very true..., except some fast bike or cars, I'm usually way ahead of any traffic on my Forza - if I want to be...

Where I do 100+ is only on highway and very good roads, if big potholes it's trouble for any bike going fast really ...., of course bigger wheels are an advantage.

And by the way, I forgot to mention vibration on a proper bike, even the best of them, you get some on pegs, seat and handlebars - you will feel it after an hour or two non-stop riding, zero vibe on Maxi scooters due to chassis, engine mount and location of it...

22 hours ago, Scaliwags66 said:

-2. The Weight

Obviously  a big difference from my PCX weight. Laid it down almost immediately tryin to do a U turn in small soi. Basically tried to lean in to it and turn sharp as if on a scooter. Quickly realized it is not a scooter lol.

So same lack of comfort when cornering. Used to leaning into turns on scooter but a bit hesitant given the weight after that.

Get used to the concept of looking into turns, focusing your eyes on the apex rather than just leaning.  Looking deeply into a turn carries your body into the best turning position and if properly done, the bike follows your eyes.

There are many frightening videos on YouTube of motorcycles going off the road, usually in turns.  If you look closely, you can usually notice that the driver is looking at where he DOESN'T want to go which carries the bike to exactly that place.  

It is really important to train yourself to always seek and look into the safe line of a turn rather than fixating on the oncoming hazard.

In a parking lot, do loops and figure 8s at low speed, exaggeratedly looking deeply into the turns and you will see how easily the bike follows.

Of course, the most important thing to learn with a new bike is how to stop it in the shortest possible distance; straight line and when turning.

47 minutes ago, taninthai said:

All of you who drive scooters, and claim thats a good solution. Show us your safety uniform? 

I have 

full suit dainese with protection, and also seperate spine protection and safety shorts. The same for my gf. Additional extra lights, extra brake warning and proper helmets. No cheap <deleted> at the local store. We both been training driving with safety in mind, and will also take additional training at Bira with The Spanish accademy. I have been riding motorbikes on roads since I was 15 years, and before that I drive motorbikes at our farm for fun. Still I will go and practice once and awhile, and also think safety and visualize any thinkable incidents that can lead to accidents. I also debrief my ride if something happend, also my gf ride if I see something happend to her as well. What happend?  What We did, and what We could have done different. 

I also use my mirrors more often than maybe someone thinks is necessery. Depends on speed of course and how heavy the traffic is, but at least every 3 - 5 seconds,  I check whats behind me. 

And get a proper raindress with bright colours, if you choose to drive in rain. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most newer bikes (Honda 500 series and Versys included) now have a gear indicator which is useful when you are learning and are uncertain.

If you buy a bike without one, you can always buy a gear position indicator off Lazada etc. They are cheap, easy to fit yourself and mostly accurate. 

• Like 1

Have you considered a slightly smaller (and therefore lighter) bike?

I've rented CB500x several times in CM for touring but also the CB300F.

However, I must say  when renting the 500 we were two people on the bike, the 300 solo.

Come back to the point, coming from riding a small manual bike everyday (Kawa GTO 125), I always felt more secure and confident on the CB300F.

The 500 was too heavy and difficult to move in city traffic or small and narrow roads.

I'm considering as new bike three models: RE Himalayan, Benelli TRK251 or Kawa Versys 300.

Last one always out because of high price. Couldn't decide yet between the other two.

RE has certainly more drag because it is 400cc, but also heavier.

TRK251 for riding alone sufficient, with two person maybe not.

On 9/7/2020 at 1:56 PM, Kwasaki said:

I like going faster if I can but at the end of the day road conditions, traffic can dictate what decide is a safe speed. 

Not to mention the legal speed limit - but who cares about that?

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

It's unfortunate that you laid down your bike. But on the other hand you learned from that and you did it at very slow "speed".

I think you need a few more days just riding and relaxing and get used to it. Don't set yourself any goals what to do, just ride it.

I have a 150cc bike and a 390 and I had a 400cc sports-bike. They all feel different. And for all of them it took a few days to get an idea about how they handle. And maybe a month to really feel comfortable on each of them.

Obviously the smaller bikes allow tighter U-turns. But riding slow on the bigger bikes should also be no problem.

I never rode an automatic bike, I am used to shifting and all goes "automatic" in my brain. I think mostly I shift up if the noise from the high revving gets too much. And I shift down if I feel there is no power. But like I said that works automatically without thinking.

How about the brakes of that bike? I think braking on a "big" bike feels better than on a small bike. And it's always good to have the tank between the legs to be more connected to the bike.

Let us know how you continue.

Yeah, it stressed me out when I laid it down, but also could have been good fortune to know that I am on an entirely different machine and need learn it for itself and not have any assumptions based on my pcx. Fortunately it had the protective metal guard so no body/paint damage and I was literally at 1km/hr lol. 

Yeah, the brakes felt way better. And the small potholes and bumps felt way better as well with the improved suspension. 

I have actually reached out to the driving school in Pattaya recommended earlier. So may go get on their track to build up some confidence and skills. If it goes well, then maybe take of on a month long trip to the north. I saw a monthly rental for 5k. So I feel like if I did a course and a monthly rental and road trip I would be light years ahead of where I am today. And then really know if it is all for me before splurging on a new ride. 

My lifestyle is very nomadic, so having a proper machine with ability to have some added cargo with me could literally change my life. So will see how this unfolds.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Yeah I hear you, but its all good for people to talk about other options. My friend is anti-manual and keeps pushing the forza on me. He is on a pcx also but likes them. So it is not bad to hear their opinions as well. 

And yeah, I just drove it from Phuket to Bangkok and am resting in town here visiting friends. Yes, while it is certainly doable, it doesn't feel as safe as the other big bikes look. So many times I am stuck between 80-95 kmh behind a big vehicle and with out the power to get around them quickly before the next car is on me. If had a 500 or bigger bike in general I could zoom around and then fall back into whatever cruising speed I wish. 

I hear all of yall and appreciate the responses both for and against the bigger bike.

There all girls in scoot mode your be getting the health and safety brigade next. ????????????????

• Like 1

Honda forza 350 would do most of what you might need. And it sounds like you are comfortable on a scooter type bike. I ride myself and with a group on the 300 Forza. We map out our trips using the side roads most of the time. But the forza 350 is more than capable 100 or 110 kph no problem. I have done  2 week trips up to and around Chaing Mai, Rode the Mae Hongson loop. Korat several times. Kho Samui. Krabi. Most trips 1,500 to 3,000 kilometers.  I have a top box and side boxes because my wife rides with me. Next trip in Nov back up north to the Golden Triangle.  Another 2 week or more trip. My Forza gets used everyday for all my around town trips, plus the open road. I thought about buying a big bike but it would set in my house for 90% of the time. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PaoloR said:

If you move to Krabi be aware:

500 range from Honda has to be serviced at Honda Big Wing. You will have to drive to Phuket for any maintenance.

Kawasaki Versys can be serviced at Kawasaki dealer on Maharat Road in Krabi.

If you are tall the Versys is a more comfortable bike.

Both bikes are popular and available second hand on many sites. Since you are obviously nervous and starting to out-think yourself, buy a cheaper second-hand bike that will cause you less stress and be less of a concern if you drop it.

Don't be too mindful of the nay-sayers. A crash at 100kph on a scooter hurts as much as one on a bike.

Bear in mind:

1. The small scooter wheels react less well under heavy braking and are more susceptible to pot-holes so are more likely to throw you off at like-for-like speeds.

2. Most scooter riders don't wear protective gear other than a helmet - either they don't possess the gear or feel they look silly wearing it on a scoot therefore when they do come off it will hurt them - maybe badly.

3. Don't buy a big bike without the correct gear and get used to riding with your kit on. You will feel safer and it will give you confidence.

4. Put auxiliary lights on your bike and ride with them on all the time. Cars will assume you are a scoot (the 500 has a fairly weak headlight and not a large road presence - the versys is bigger and more visible) and can pull out in front of you assuming you are travelling slowly.

5. Have toured with people on a Versys (my girlfriend) and on a 500f (my daughter). Neither had any trouble or discomfort in 3000K from Krabi up to Sangklaburi or on the highway down to the GP in Sepang.

6. There are plenty of groups riding out of Phuket every weekend, join one that is small 3-6 bikes, and learn from others who will be happy to help you, especially if you are open about needing advice.

7. Most foreigners avoid riding in groups with Thai riders as their discipline and riding skills rarely match their bikes.

Go for it and watch The Missenden Flyer's Youtube series on his tour round Thailand.

THank you for the insight in regards to Krabi CB servicing. I would have thought Honda would have been the easiest given all the honda scooter shops everywhere. But I guess they are just that...scooter shops. I am interested in Versys as well given they are almost mentioned together when discussions like this occur. Was more hesitant for the Versys given the added weight and power and perception of the CB500X being a better beginner bike. But I guess I should check it out as well since the difference is not extreme. And  I have read they maybe more comfortable for highway cruising and I will most likely be doing some distance. We shall see. Thank you. 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which is why he [the Op] is asking for advice and has already pointed out he will take lessons at a recommended riding school. 

Additionally: One of the major facets of riding here is being familiar with the randomness of the traffic, the mentality other road users and the outlandish stupidity witnessed. Riding a scooter is a good learning curve for local road behaviour because I don’t think even the most defensive rider could ever envisage that somchai will turn right onto your side (the wrong side) of the road without looking and ride straight towards you expecting you to get out of his way...  its something that needs to be seen !

Yeah, agreeed about traffic. That I am accustomed to and always on the look out for the random weird thing happening, or "enemies" as one poster said. Yeah, there definitely are some enemies out there. I have driven scooter all around Asia and lived in Indonesia for 5 years. I find them more aggressive on the road in Indonesia than Thais. Indonesians have zero patience on the road and if they see an inch they will go for it even if it will shut down all of the rest of traffic lol. However their roads are terrible so it greatly brings down the speed on the roads. So in my opinion, Thailand drivers are a bit more calm (if you believe that) then in Indonesia.....but they drive faster due to better roads, vehicles and bikes.....and they drink more. So factor in the alcohol consumption and speed here and maybe more dangerous in Thailand after all. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Manual transmission.
You'll get used to it with practise. It will become second nature after awhile and you'll start shifting based on how loud your revs are, not your speed or RPM gauge.

The weight.
It's more about balance and center of gravity and  - practise. 

Your body.
Dude. I'm 5'8" and (er, um, 180ish) and ride a Heritage Softail that tips the scales at 325 kgs dry weight (about 715 pounds). A CBF 500 runs around 183 kgs (400 pounds) dry weight. 
You'll feel better when you get used to the balance and shifting your weight to turn instead of trying to twist the handlebars and forcing the bike in turns.

Cruising speed.
This will be the killer. A lot of people can't resist the urge to crack that throttle wide open every time they sit on a bike. The problem is, the faster you go, the faster everything happens and the less time you have to react to it.
Cruising speed depends on many factors. Weather, light conditions, traffic, road conditions and confidence.

Last weekend we went on a trip to Wang Nam Khiao. Only about 220 kms one way. On good highways, clear weather and light traffic we were doing 120-140. When we got into heavier traffic we slowed down of course. When it started to rain we were down to 60 (it was a heavy rain too).

Normally when I'm cruising around on my own, I'm doing 100-120 (depending on all the previously mentioned factors). I bought a cruiser to cruise around on, not to race from one place to another as fast as possible.

City Driving. 
This will drive you nuts. With a scooter you are zipping through traffic, riding beside the curb, squeezing between cars and parking pretty much anywhere you like.
With the bigger bike, you will (quickly) notice that it's not so easy anymore. You need more space to squeeze between cars or to ride alongside the curb and it may be harder to find places to park.
I found that out about 15 years ago when I bought a Honda Phantom. I thought it would be a little better than a scooter for short trips, but quickly learned it was more of a pain in the @ss than anything. I ended up selling it and buying a Honda Click as my "city" bike.

Another thought regarding moving up from a scooter to a "big bike".

When my unit was posted to Germany in the mid-80s, you had to pass a motorcycle course
 to get a license ride one in Germany. The problem was, the course was done on a small (closed circuit) course on base, using little 125 scooters.

But as soon as you passed and got your license, you could hit the Autobahn on any bike (that was allowed). Naturally, everyone went out and bought the biggest crotch rockets available at the time (Ninja 1200s were all the rage I think at the time).

Within a couple weeks, we had a couple guys killed in accidents and a couple more in the hospital.
Main cause ? 
Unable to handle curves at high speed resulting in the bike going straight off the highway.

Riding a scooter on a running track at 20-25 km/hr did nothing to prepare them for riding a 1200cc bike at 180+ km/hr on the Autobahn.

Same thing over here. Big difference between sitting on a scooter and riding a big bike. 

Take it easy, resist the urge to "see what the bike can really do" and always be prepared for anything. Crazy drivers, crappy roads, sudden monsoons, dumb animals. 

Get to know your bike. The way it feels when cornering and changing lanes. The way it sounds at different speeds. The responsiveness of the throttle and the braking. 

Ride at a speed you are comfortable with, regardless of what other people on similar bikes are doing. It's not a competition.
When we rode from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son last December, some of our guys (on big Harleys) flew through the curves like they were on Highway 1. Some others (like me) took it a lot slower. We all ended up in the same place and only a few minutes apart so no big deal. It wasn't a race to see who could do all 1,800+ curves the fastest.

And of course, you should always wear the proper protective gear. 

It'll come with time and practise. A couple months of riding and you'll be wondering what the big deal was (from your first experience). 

Appreciate your comments man. Yeah, I am by no stretch of the imagination a dare devil. If so I would have made the leap from the start instead of 8 years of SE Asia living scooting around. I am not interested in flying on the roads more than I am comfortable. But more asking about cruising speeds to know what actually is comfortable to ride at on this type of bike rather than what is capable of doing at maximum. I was thinking (without any actual knowledge) that 120ish would be comfortable before ever getting on the bike. But so many factors in play...especially my own experience and skills.

Normally I drive about 3 - 4 hours a day when traveling so was kinda wondering how much more ground I could expect to cover on a better bike. I know many factors into this. I also stop a lot, eat, have some coffee, maybe play with the drone, etc. Travel slowly and try and always make it to the resting/sleeping spot by sundown. 

I feel like your final comment will probably be true as well...first day on a click 8 years ago was scary in Chiang Mai lol. Fast foward to now have to get thru the initial jitters, but do it in a smart and safe practical way. 

22 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Honda forza 350 would do most of what you might need. And it sounds like you are comfortable on a scooter type bike. I ride myself and with a group on the 300 Forza. We map out our trips using the side roads most of the time. But the forza 350 is more than capable 100 or 110 kph no problem. I have done  2 week trips up to and around Chaing Mai, Rode the Mae Hongson loop. Korat several times. Kho Samui. Krabi. Most trips 1,500 to 3,000 kilometers.  I have a top box and side boxes because my wife rides with me. Next trip in Nov back up north to the Golden Triangle.  Another 2 week or more trip. My Forza gets used everyday for all my around town trips, plus the open road. I thought about buying a big bike but it would set in my house for 90% of the time. 

Yeah there are definitely some perks for the Forza like you said. Relaxed cruising, massive storage area, good seat in the back for cute Thai bird to join. Oh, and city driving too. My friend is lobbying hard for this option. 

I met a couple dudes on this trip who often take their manual bikes to Cambodia and Laos. Have you taken your Forza to across the border at all? Thanks

The Forza and Xmax are great bikes. I'm partial to the Xmax, because I find it much more beautiful.

Having said that, I would still pick the CB500X over them if you're planning to do a lot of kilometres out of the city. It's more comfortable, handles more weight, it's more customisable and no doubt much more fun (although it is uglier than the Xmax).

Where the CB500X will be massively better than a Forza / Xmax is when you ride with a pillion. A Forza / Xmax with a pillion + baggage will be as dangerous as you riding alone on a PCX / Nmax, even if it's a tiny 150cm 45kg pillion.

If you're mostly riding alone, you'll be fine with the Forza / Xmax, even for long distances.

26 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

The Forza and Xmax are great bikes. I'm partial to the Xmax, because I find it much more beautiful.

Having said that, I would still pick the CB500X over them if you're planning to do a lot of kilometres out of the city. It's more comfortable, handles more weight, it's more customisable and no doubt much more fun (although it is uglier than the Xmax).

Where the CB500X will be massively better than a Forza / Xmax is when you ride with a pillion. A Forza / Xmax with a pillion + baggage will be as dangerous as you riding alone on a PCX / Nmax, even if it's a tiny 150cm 45kg pillion.

If you're mostly riding alone, you'll be fine with the Forza / Xmax, even for long distances.

You certainly nailed the pillion dimensions lol. 

I rode a PCX for 3 years before I bought a naked 250. The first time I rode the 250, I feel like it's too heavy and it's straining my arms and wrist for a week. But once I became familiar with it, riding it became as comfortable as sitting on my PCX. 

The weight is not the problem in filtering BKK's traffic, it's the  manual clutching. 

Anything above 30kms distance and will pass big highways, I'll always pick the bigger and a little more able 250 than the lightweight PCX. 

An Xmax or a Forza would be a good compromise I think. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barnabe said:

There's little or no danger with a gal on the back of a forza particularly with abs etc.  Have guys here even ridden the better scooters such as abs equipped forza, nmax, xmax, sym etc? Good autos are here.  Sure you can push the envelope at higher speeds with a bigger bike but for safe cruising these bikes are more than adequate for long journeys.  

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 2