Best Places To Buy Falang Food

As an off shoot from "Can't Eat Thai Food, And I'm constantly hungry", where do you but your falang food, I'm not talking about resteraunts, but ingredients, here's a few I'd like to find:- hinez baked beans, beef oxo, mature chedder, blue cheese, hams, salami, real sauges,LAMB.

There is an excellent deli in Patong near the Blue Elephant bar, and I know off a good place in Jomtien for pies, sauges I think it called "Yorkies or Porkies" on the beach road, what about BKK and the rest of the country.

I'm in Nakhorn Sawan, cant get s##t here even Big C, and Macro have very limited selections, I'm out and about often so I could stock up!!

Cheers

In Bangkok the best selection is at any of the Foodland branches. :o

Villa Supermarket at Sukhumvit 35 has a decent choice, but on the pricey side, a couple of small shops, bakery and butcher if I remember right, in the sidestreet, and a Thai eatery which does a mean snake soup for the more adventurous ones.

The French Carrefour is recommended, specially for cheeses, unless you are a Brit (hehe). :D

Last, and least, Jusco stocks some edible bits, but I wouldn't make a special journey to go there.

Tesco has been mentioned, the name is the only thing it has in common with the British stores. Still worth a visit, though.

most of us have seen that our upcountry tescos don't have much but 20 types of cooking oil and 50 types of instant noodles. Has anyone succesfully approached a tescos manager and said 'hey look...I'd like some tomato soup...think you could get some?' I know that western fast meals are too much to ask for but has anyone had any success in this regard? Ground beef would be nice as well...

250 gr of emmental cheese for 270 baht, otherwise processed cheese slices (not bad with plenty of mayo and mustard once you get used to it)...the best thing about the place is that you can get a hot dog at the counter on the way in, slather with French's type US mustard...

shampoo, tissue, tooth paste...ain't got no fresh milk for 'healthy teeth'...but they got 'A&W Root beer' in plastic bottles...hooray. Coffee, potato chips, saltine crackers...two aisles devoted to cooking oil, oyster sauce and nam plaa. Have a look at the chicken...oh dear, they are selling laying hens again...some nice pork loin and cheap...Flora and some processed cheese...what? no tomatos, limes or lettuces? (plenty of strange weeds with tendrils)...ahhh, canteloupe @ 90baht per kilo...the bakery beckons as in a nightmare, find unsweetened bread if you dare.

Stand in the queue with the others with the TV sets and the cheap underwear...then go to the liquor shop and buy what you originally came for, bottles of vodka to give relief from the agony of Sang Som...

and I ain't complainin'...

The endless rows of cooking oil and nam plaa feature in all the stores, that's why the larger branches are more yielding, they have space for a few other food items on the side.

Foodland have an inhouse German butcher, and the cold meat section is excellent.

I haven't requested any particular item, you might be hard pressed for a packet of crumpets or organic creamy Wensleydale, I think, but Foodland, Villa and Carrefour certainly know what they are doing.

There is a place in Suk Soi 71, called "Food Glorious food" Has a big range of food (strangely enough) Imported from Australia, great seleection, pricing is OK.

That shop is well worth a visit. It even has Vegemite on hand for those poor addicted Aussie fellows.

Up here Macro is about the best, fresh milk, bread, Somtines they have the big 4kg blocks of anchor chedder (about 500bht), always have big blocks of Motzarella(but it tastes like plastic), sometimes even have imported frozen lamb, but cant bring myself to pay 700bht for a leg!!

For those of you who live "upcountry" like me 7-11 stocks unsweetened bread and fresh milk, ours does anyway, if it does'nt ask the manager if you but it regularly they should get it in, mine did.

I've been to a Foodland in Bkk and found them pretty good as well went to the one in Lat Prow, my friend lives near there, even got some dried oregano and pizza herb mix (my wife makes a cracking pizza)

I'll have a look at that place on soi 71 next time i'm in BKK, never been to Carrefour either, but I like blue cheese so I'll have a look next time.

I was talking to a thai friend of mine before about lamb, and he said he could get some for me no prob, ok I thought I'll give it a try! about 3 days later he turns up with two live lambs on the back of the pickup (should of known really). they we're so cute I nearly did'nt eat them!! still tough though and not as much meat.

Anyway thanks for the replies

I think the Foodland opposite the Landmark (near soi 4) is the best. Took La Dee,

the inside restaurant is right there if you suddenly feel like not shopping for food and just sitting down to a good meal and a beer.

Foodland always has a selection of lamb from NZ. The beans from Malaysia (cheap) under the Ayam brand are very good and sold at Foodland and Tesco (when stock not out). Agree with Tutsi about A&W Root Beer at Tesco (good). Tesco also has a good selection of cold cuts from various producers and I find them better tasting than Foodland. Carrefour is less known to me (used to be few items stocked but seems to be good selection now) and baked good are generally much better than Tesco.

Imagine there is a problem upcountry. Even here in Bangkok Tesco seems to have dropped all their imported items in favor of local production.

There is a place in Suk Soi 71, called "Food Glorious food" Has a big range of food (strangely enough) Imported from Australia, great seleection, pricing is OK

What sub soi is "Food Glorious food" close too?

Cheers