The Thai Economy Is In Crisis

george

the people I work around call me "Doctor,"

Sorry but ... :o

:D:D

Yes sir, that is why I asked in what area your g/f practices in, because I just may know her. Or she may know of me. I am the only falang, and in fact the only person with my level of training in Thailand, and perhaps in South East Asia. So student, I may have met your g/f. Small world.... and I mean that metaphorically speaking, I am not refering to anything else.

Like I said, hurry home, the ant colony needs you.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hence the past several years have witnessed the expansion in service activities with correspondingly little or much less than a proportionate increase in employment in this sector _ a troublesome tendency, considering that this sector has traditionally been the most progressive and dynamic in its employment-creation capacity and ability to absorb new entrants into the labour force.

Hmm really? So how can demand for office space (the traditional accommodation for the service industry) has been so strong that market rents have had to increase by over 50% over the last 3 years?

What's more this increase has been witnessed despite almost 200,000 square meters of supply entering the market each year, yet vacancy rates have remained stable. So if all these firms have not been putting more bums on seats what on earth have all these companies been doing with all this extra office space?

Only a guess but maybe some people that are making more money due to using higher technology instead of common laborers are wanting larger offices for themselves. Possibly one tech person is replacing 10 common laborers. If I automated my factory to the point of a factory that I know of in Lampang my work force would go from 1 office worker and 50 laborers to 3 office workers and 10 laborers.

It could also be the increase in non labor intensive service industries needing office space.

He did say the service industry expanded without a corresponding increase in employment. As in the past each business employed on average 20 workers and the new businesses are only employing 3.

Central bank chief upbeat on 2nd half economic recovery

Bank of Thailand Governor Tarisa Watanagase on Thursday expressed confidence that the Thai economy would recover in the second half of this year if political uncertainties continue to ease and the general election is held as scheduled.

Delivering a keynote speech on “Overall Picture of Economy and Approach to Supervising Financial Institutions,” she said that Thailand is in a key transitional period now, and the government and the private sector must maintain economic stability.

Although the economy signaled a recovery due to recent improved political development, there are still many remaining issues that need to be addressed.

In particular, the general election, if clearly and definitely scheduled, would bode very well for the economy in the second half of the year.

Mrs. Tarisa conceded the private investment and consumption had declined to a worrying level. Private consumption increased only slightly while investment contracted for the first time in many years.

However, the central bank chief said, she believed the state economic stimulus package, acceleration of budget disbursement, continued policy interest rate cut by the Monetary Policy Committee, and electric mass transit construction would help boost the economic growth in the second half of the year particularly if the political uncertainties eased.

Because of this, she said, the central bank raised its economic growth projection for next year to 4.3-5.8 per cent.

Mrs. Tarisa said the private investment would play an active role in place of exports in stimulating the economy in the next few years when the global economy is expected to slow down.

She indicated a key obstacle to the investment is a lack of confidence among private companies because they are waiting for a clear picture of the election schedule, economic law amendment, and mega-project implementation.

The BoT chief said the government must adopt an “offensive’’ strategy for the economy instead of being on the “defensive” to lay the economic foundation for long-term steady growth and to ensure the country could compete with key trade rivals including China, India, and Vietnam in the future.

Source: TNA - 08 June 2007

TG is just plain rude, is there any moderators that care? Oh and TG, you may think I am dumb, and yes my writing skill are horrid, but the people I work around call me "Doctor," for a reason keep that in mind..... student.

M. I have seen the PhD students milk the disartation time as long as possible too. In fact my college hired an ABD, and finally the college fired her because she simply would not finish her disartation. Why, because if she would have finished, she would have finished her degree, and poof out of America she would go.

I have been told, and I do not know if it is a fact, but Thais of all foreing students, are most likely to return home after their education in the US. Now, it used to be that the Chinese would set up a tent and refuse to leave, but now because of the economy turn around.... they are showing a trend to go back home. (believe it or not, my father is a vice president of a college back home, so I have some inside views on this topic)

Oh back to TG, I would like to thank you in advance for returning back to your home country. America obviosly will be fine without you, and Thailand desparatley needs more educated folks just like you. So hurry up with your studies. Please.

JR Texas to Dakhar: Don't worry about TG......he takes the same approach to virtually everything I post.

And us to his ;-)

Remember after all that study he will retu with a PHd to supervise an assembly line on 30k a month - make that 40k as his English is decent.

If he wants a real job he needs to stay in the USA, head to Europe, Singapore, China, India etc etc

Didn't I just say the the US bond yields have risen to more than 5 percent? :o:D

Good boy! Now you understand why the investors didn't want to invest in Thai bonds with a yield below 4.9%.

If the BoT would have followed the international bond markets a little closer they wouldn't have held an auction in the first place and 'blame' in investors.

A Central bank...blaming the investors. Good joke.

LaoPo

Didn't I just say the the US bond yields have risen to more than 5 percent? :o:D

Good boy! Now you understand why the investors didn't want to invest in Thai bonds with a yield below 4.9%.

If the BoT would have followed the international bond markets a little closer they wouldn't have held an auction in the first place and 'blame' in investors.

LaoPo

But its never the thai's fault - only outsiders!

Minnows in the real world.

As I have said before - they are only so concerned with face because they are always losing it :D

Thailand : Garment exports likely to slow down

June 8, 2007

Garment exports in the first 4 months of 2007 were valued at US $910.3 million, falling 5.9 percent from the same period of last year. The export value in the last half of this year also looks worrisome because the economy of the US, which is a key importer, is showing a slowing trend.

Moreover, the Baht’s exchange value which has been rising since the end of 2006 and will have a severe impact in the last half of this year, limiting the aggregate value of Thailand’s garment exports for the entirety of 2007 around $3,050 million, a growth falling to around 5 percent compared to 2006, when exports grew 1.7 percent.

This is the first time the export value has fallen in around 4 years since 2003. The initial export figures of the Ministry of Commerce show that Thailand’s garment exports in the first 4 months of 2007 had fallen in the key category of garments.

rest here:

http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/apparel-...x?news_id=36237

LaoPo

More worrying signs:

Thailand’s Coup Fallout

08 June 2007

Economic signs in Bangkok are mixed, as the junta’s policies chip away at investor confidence.

Excerpts:

The first tangible signs are starting to emerge that, as expected, policies put in place after Thailand’s military coup last year are having a negative effect on the country's economy, with both domestic and foreign investment declining and growth in consumer spending falling to 1.3 percent annually.

Now strictly - enforcing the 49% ownership rule – Temasek controls about 96 percent of the company – could force Temasek to sell off Shin Corp at a huge loss. That may be fine for revenge purposes but redrawing the economic map in order to retaliate against one deal has earned considerable international criticism from foreign investors and cut into business confidence, which remains at an eight-year low, according to a report by Bloomberg.

One multinational executive in Hong Kong who exports consumer products from Thailand and other countries flatly said, “Thailand is over.” While he isn’t cutting back on his Thai operations, he isn’t adding to them. Vietnam, he says, is a much more attractive country now for investment.

Thailand is the least-energy efficient economy in Asia, even including the Philippines, and remains the country most exposed to oil-price shocks in the entire region. Net oil imports in 2006 amounted to about 9 percent of GDP, followed by the Philippines at 6 percent.

The coup, according to the investment bank CLSA, “could not have come at a worse time. Oil and commodities in general are expensive and, even with a US and China slowdown, are likely to remain so relative to five-year norms. Worse, the Foreign Business Ownership changes seem designed to lose Thailand its most-favored nation status among foreign investors at precisely the time that competition for FDI is becoming more and more intense.”

Eventually Thailand’s rulers must allow Thaksin’s followers to join the political process, or long-term political instability looks certain to prevail. Regardless, the impact of the ongoing uncertainty on foreign direct investment will probably remain considerable.

:o

http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=c...0&Itemid=32

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

TG is just plain rude, is there any moderators that care? Oh and TG, you may think I am dumb, and yes my writing skill are horrid, but the people I work around call me "Doctor," for a reason keep that in mind..... student.

M. I have seen the PhD students milk the disartation time as long as possible too. In fact my college hired an ABD, and finally the college fired her because she simply would not finish her disartation. Why, because if she would have finished, she would have finished her degree, and poof out of America she would go.

I have been told, and I do not know if it is a fact, but Thais of all foreing students, are most likely to return home after their education in the US. Now, it used to be that the Chinese would set up a tent and refuse to leave, but now because of the economy turn around.... they are showing a trend to go back home. (believe it or not, my father is a vice president of a college back home, so I have some inside views on this topic)

Oh back to TG, I would like to thank you in advance for returning back to your home country. America obviosly will be fine without you, and Thailand desparatley needs more educated folks just like you. So hurry up with your studies. Please.

JR Texas to Dakhar: Don't worry about TG......he takes the same approach to virtually everything I post.

And us to his ;-)

Remember after all that study he will retu with a PHd to supervise an assembly line on 30k a month - make that 40k as his English is decent.

If he wants a real job he needs to stay in the USA, head to Europe, Singapore, China, India etc etc

Oh now, with the negotiation skills, and the good people skills TG has, he might get 43K. That is pushing it though. I know a top ranked cardiologist earning 58K. I was offered a job at Thamasat for around 36K years ago. So 43K for TG would be a great bit of money. I wouldn't work for that, but some folks will.

Its all relative though, I am sure what I earn, there are some folks that spend the equevallent or more on their pet food.

Thaigoon:

Where is your concern about your fellow countrymen/women/children in the poor areas of Thailand ?

If he is studying in USA he must be a member of the enlightened "Thai elite".

They don't give a shit about poor people. On the contrary, they desire to keep them miserable so that they can easily find 5,000 baht/month workers for their export industries.

Edited by Edonista

from TIME magazine, the "defenders of the realm" on this board truly live in an alternate reality.......oh well.......

well, regarding reality....

Each one of us lives in two different realities. One is the reality as it appears in front of us. It is reality as it is. The other is a parallel reality, one that exists only in our minds. The "Mind Reality" is an alternative to the real world. It is made up of a collection of ideas and thoughts, most of them directly related to sense

excitement and feelings. and mainly appears in many "dooms day brigade" TV members.

"Mind Reality" as per farrangs in Thailand is divided into two sections – the one contains an “Idealistic" perfect Thaialnd in which the farrang would like to live. The second consists of everything which he conceives to be wrong with thailand , as compared to his Ideal model.

The first is based on ideas of perfection, and the other is based on skill of criticism, judgment and the pleasure of complaining. :D

Concepts such as Good and Bad, Right and Wrong, Past and Future, expectations and disappointments,

hopes, rules - all these are part of our idealistic and emotional world.

The heart of Dharma, as Zen Master Nishijima teaches , is that this

confusion - between Reality as it is and reality as we perceive it through our mind

or feel it through our senses - is the source of most people’s unhappiness. and some of out members are truley not happy. :o

so I understand that some members are very unhappy that thailand is not acting according to the reality they had invisioned it as farrangs in thailand. and thailand is so sorry to have its own culture that so many of the members find it compulsory to put down and criticise. but thailand wants to take care for thai people and not consider the input from a bunch of over arrogant, patronising,thai bashing farrangs who think that the sole existance of thailand is to be a playground for farrang.

so I understand that some members are very unhappy that thailand is not acting according to the reality they had invisioned it as farrangs in thailand. and thailand is so sorry to have its own culture that so many of the members find it compulsory to put down and criticise. but thailand wants to take care for thai people and not consider the input from a bunch of over arrogant, patronising,thai bashing farrangs who think that the sole existance of thailand is to be a playground for farrang.

sounds like a preschooler realising that teacher is correct ......................................

from TIME magazine, the "defenders of the realm" on this board truly live in an alternate reality.......oh well.......

Each one of us lives in two different realities. One is the reality as it appears in front of us. It is reality as it is. The other is a parallel reality, one that exists only in our minds. The "Mind Reality" is an alternative to the real world. It is made up of a collection of ideas and thoughts, most of them directly related to sense

excitement and feelings. and mainly appears in many "dooms day brigade" TV members.

"Mind Reality" as per farrangs in Thailand is divided into two sections – the one contains an "Idealistic" perfect Thaialnd in which the farrang would like to live. The second consists of everything which he conceives to be wrong with thailand , as compared to his Ideal model.

The first is based on ideas of perfection, and the other is based on skill of criticism, judgment and the pleasure of complaining. :D

Concepts such as Good and Bad, Right and Wrong, Past and Future, expectations and disappointments,

confusion - between Reality as it is and reality as we perceive it through our mind

or feel it through our senses - is the source of most people's unhappiness. and some of out members are truley not happy. :o

my dearest highdiver, you my friend i think are having an identity crisis, you are not thai, you are not high-so, and you are not a designated defender of the realm yet your vehement defense of the obvious is amusing

do you not see protests occuring daily in bangkok? do you not see prices rising? do you not see an illegitimate junta supressing free speech and tightening power? do you not see foreign investment falling? do you not see increasing violence in the south?

your inability to see reality manifests itself from your denial....you ran away from something/someone in the west to what once was a utopia (thailand) pre-coup, but now that your supposed paradise is worsening, you can not go back to the west from once you came, so like a trapped animal you will fight to the bitter end despite the fact that thailand is disintegrating......

now back to the news....

TRT members create anti-junta group

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=12349...ctionid=3510204

Edited by bingobongo

LaoPo

LaoPo, what's what I alluded to ages ago. Please read and think a bit. The point of the original argument was whether investors really no longer wanted to finance Thai gov't debt as some pathetic spin life form calimed, or it was just a simple matter of supply and demand. And I didn't see the BoT blaming anyone. They just said the investors were asking too high a yield for them. That's all. That's what I said too. Again, please read and think if you can.

As for Thailand's garment exports, they have been in trouble for a while now. (Their industry is labour incentive. It's been hard to compete against China and Vietnam on cheap labours and has become even more so recently with stronger Baht.)

And Dakhar, no offense but if you actually were a doctor, my pet dog must be a rocket scientist. :D

Edited by ThaiGoon

Thailand : Garment exports likely to slow down

June 8, 2007

Garment exports in the first 4 months of 2007 were valued at US $910.3 million, falling 5.9 percent from the same period of last year. The export value in the last half of this year also looks worrisome because the economy of the US, which is a key importer, is showing a slowing trend.

Moreover, the Baht’s exchange value which has been rising since the end of 2006 and will have a severe impact in the last half of this year, limiting the aggregate value of Thailand’s garment exports for the entirety of 2007 around $3,050 million, a growth falling to around 5 percent compared to 2006, when exports grew 1.7 percent.

This is the first time the export value has fallen in around 4 years since 2003. The initial export figures of the Ministry of Commerce show that Thailand’s garment exports in the first 4 months of 2007 had fallen in the key category of garments.

rest here:

http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/apparel-...x?news_id=36237

LaoPo

Well, I was one. 2006 garment exports from Thailand were B3,200,000, 2007 was nil, nada, nothing. Cannot be bothered with their nonsense.

Maybe will give them a chance on a B26M order in October, but will force a big discount to compensate for hassles. Oh, and by the way, my days in Thailand have fallen from 20 per month to 10 now, thanks to the brilliant Visa rules, but I guess I am not a "quality" visitor.

I don't suppose there are any other export agents like me in Thailand, so my actions must be unique... :D:o:D

"Mind Reality" as per farrangs in Thailand is divided into two sections – the one contains an "Idealistic" perfect Thaialnd in which the farrang would like to live. The second consists of everything which he conceives to be wrong with thailand , as compared to his Ideal model.

or feel it through our senses - is the source of most people's unhappiness. and some of out members are truley not happy. :o

my dearest highdiver, you my friend i think are having an identity crisis, you are not thai, you are not high-so, and you are not a designated defender of the realm yet your vehement defense of the obvious is amusing.

Dearest Bingo thank you for your concern. but i am doing very well. i dont know what is your definition of "high So" but if you are reffering to my finanacial status, pleae rest assure that I have more then enough... :bah: . if you are relating to my social status. then please be advised that I am to old and to rich to care any more about what circle to belong to... :D

I am not Thai but i have lived here long enough to realise that Thailand is not a forign country and that farrangs who expect Thailand to adhere to forign culture and western concepts are actually unhappy and complain and bitch all the time as Thailand refuses to become western and accept your way of doing things.

As i said before in many posts those who are calling it a crisis are those that are probably loosing a lot of money. if you were doing great you would probably be see it different.

your views and posts about economy are out of touch with reality. the fact is that thailand is having a slow down over the past 3 months in some sectors. others are doing well and some are even doing better.

Slow down is not a crisis. it is only a slow down... and presenting it as a crisis

do you not see protests occuring daily in bangkok? do you not see prices rising? do you not see an illegitimate junta supressing free speech and tightening power? do you not see foreign investment falling? do you not see increasing violence in the south?

yes i see the news and look at the facts. and they are that a few hunndred people protesting is not an indication of a problem. but more of headline hunting.

i see prices rising and prices falling and the law of demands sets the tone.

I actually do see BOI as i do a lot of projects with them and investment is on a high curb. more and more investment are pouring in. even in your line of realestate the big boys are coming in with a lot of cash to invest in thaialnd.

i see a milittery junta who chucked out one of the most corrupted people in the world who has robbed this country and was leading a dictatorship rule, trying to restore a proper democracy and as long as they do it its fine with me.

the violence in the south is not uniqe to thailand and unfortunatly the whole world is suffering from extreme muslims. thailand having a muslim population is suffering as well.

you refuse to accepyt the fact that Thailand is actually doing great and that a slow down in economy is not a crisis.but i understand you are not happy and it shows in your posts and views about thailand and its people.

the whole world is going through a slow down and thailand is affected as well.

but i guess it will bring us back to how each one views reality.

your inability to see reality manifests itself from your denial....you ran away from something/someone in the west to what once was a utopia (thailand) pre-coup, but now that your supposed paradise is worsening, you can not go back to the west from once you came, so like a trapped animal you will fight to the bitter end despite the fact that thailand is disintegrating......

once again you are confusing speculations and unsaported views along with fabricted facts.

so for the record: i can live anywhere i want and i own some properties in western countries as well.

i live here because I want to not because i have to. :D:D

i love the Thailand its people and its culture.

I dont feel like a traped animal fighting, however from many of yopur posts I can not escape the feeling that you may well and as such your views on the reality.

now back to the news....

TRT members create anti-junta group

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=12349...ctionid=3510204

Permament secretary of Industry affirms Thai economy not in crisis

The Permanent Secretary of Industry indicates that Thailand's economy is not in a severe state.

Permanent Secretary of Industry Jaglamon Phasukwanich (จักรมณฑ์ ผาสุกวนิช ) expressed his belief that the Thai economy remains in good condition, as can be observed from the nation's 4 percent economic growth, 1 percent unemployment, and 18 percent export rates. Mr. Jaglamon attributed the perception that Thailand is suffering from an economic crisis to decreased confidence, resulting in lower consumption and spendings by the public.

The Peramenent Secretary of Industry added that development of agricultural exports will assist in boosting the Thai economy. Rice, cassava, rubber, and many variety of fruits are currently experiencing high demand from foreign nations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 June 2007

once again you are confusing speculations and unsaported views along with fabricted facts.

so for the record: i can live anywhere i want and i own some properties in western countries as well.

I dont feel like a traped animal fighting, however from many of yopur posts I can not escape the feeling that you may well and as such your views on the reality.

good post :o

Highdiver, you are similar to me - I have property abroad (in Europe and central/south America), and I also really like the Thai culture.

My GF's business here is booming (garments 100% exported).

I also own property here and bought my 3rd condo a couple of weeks ago in lower suk, after searching in vain for the supposed real estate crisis in the high end market.

You'll find that all the negative whingers are those with no assets here, people who can't even afford the minimum Thai staff employment requirements to setup a business here, and clearly live on an income that a European supermarket checkout girl wouldn't accept. Sheessh, you guys who whinge all the time won't (i.e. can't) even afford to buy a fairly decent condo that's only going to cost you about 5 million baht. If you are going to spend time living in a foreign country, why not just buy something with your spare cash?

We're having trouble finding good staff in the garment business (everyone is employed!) - even with the strong baht, I am continuing to invest here and making huge returns - way, way, way beyond anything someone could realise with offshore bonds. (sheesh, bonds are like savings stamps for old ladies).

It really must be awful living in a $200 a month rented apartment, and seeing your disposable income dwindle everytime the baht gains strength; but then if you live in such dire financial circumstances outside of your country of birth (caused by your own inability to make money), you'll always end up bitter :D

Of course everyone is a bit despondent about the government situation, but what I find interesting is that all the whingers were whinging in 2006 too when Thaksin was in power; so its just more of the same.

There is plenty of money to be made in Thailand, and amazing returns for anyone with enough brains to build businesses here.

Edited by palm

2007 economic growth stays at 4%

The Permanent Secretary for Industry, Mr. Jakkramon Phasukvanich, indicates people have less confidence in spending money and investors have slowed down their investments.

Mr. Jakkramon indicates that Thailand’s economy is not worse as many have expected, adding that the economy’ growth in this year is expected to remain at four percent and the unemployment rate is only one percent. He remarks that the growth of export sector is outstanding by 18%.

The Permanent Secretary for Industry says people have purchase power, but they do not have much confidence in using their money. In addition, investors are waiting for consider the situation so they slow down their investments.

At the same time, some agricultural products have the good prices, including sticky rice, sugar cane, cassava, and rubber, due to its high demand.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 June 2007

The Peramenent Secretary of Industry added that development of agricultural exports will assist in boosting the Thai economy. Rice, cassava, rubber, and many variety of fruits are currently experiencing high demand from foreign nations.

Got rice, rubber and a box of chocolate, sounds pomissing.

good post :o

Highdiver, you are similar to me - I have property abroad (in Europe and central/south America), and I also really like the Thai culture.

My GF's business here is booming (garments 100% exported).

I also own property here and bought my 3rd condo a couple of weeks ago in lower suk, after searching in vain for the supposed real estate crisis in the high end market.

You'll find that all the negative whingers are those with no assets here, people who can't even afford the minimum Thai staff employment requirements to setup a business here, and clearly live on an income that a European supermarket checkout girl wouldn't accept. Sheessh, you guys who whinge all the time won't (i.e. can't) even afford to buy a fairly decent condo that's only going to cost you about 5 million baht. If you are going to spend time living in a foreign country, why not just buy something with your spare cash?

We're having trouble finding good staff in the garment business (everyone is employed!) - even with the strong baht, I am continuing to invest here and making huge returns - way, way, way beyond anything someone could realise with offshore bonds. (sheesh, bonds are like savings stamps for old ladies).

It really must be awful living in a $200 a month rented apartment, and seeing your disposable income dwindle everytime the baht gains strength; but then if you live in such dire financial circumstances outside of your country of birth (caused by your own inability to make money), you'll always end up bitter :D

Of course everyone is a bit despondent about the government situation, but what I find interesting is that all the whingers were whinging in 2006 too when Thaksin was in power; so its just more of the same.

There is plenty of money to be made in Thailand, and amazing returns for anyone with enough brains to build businesses here.

very good post

so many of my feelings have been in your post. well done.

I agree with you that all the whingers have been here before and they probably will be in the future.

I am glad to hear you are doing well and wish you all the best. :D

LaoPo

LaoPo, what's what I alluded to ages ago. Please read and think a bit. The point of the original argument was whether investors really no longer wanted to finance Thai gov't debt as some pathetic spin life form calimed, or it was just a simple matter of supply and demand. And I didn't see the BoT blaming anyone. They just said the investors were asking too high a yield for them. That's all. That's what I said too. Again, please read and think if you can.

As for Thailand's garment exports, they have been in trouble for a while now. (Their industry is labour incentive. It's been hard to compete against China and Vietnam on cheap labours and has become even more so recently with stronger Baht.)

And Dakhar, no offense but if you actually were a doctor, my pet dog must be a rocket scientist. :D

Pathetic spin life form ROFLMAO

Pot kettle black

LaoPo

Well, this is what the article said:

"June 6 (Bloomberg) -- Bank of Thailand canceled a scheduled 5 billion baht ($152.4 million) bond sale today because investors demanded too high a yield at the auction, the bank said."

"because investors demanded...."

Strong words for a Central Bank, putting the blame to the investors, whilst doing a miserable job themselves... :D

But, I realize, it's a way to try to save face.

They could have said: "..because investors can reach higher yields elsewhere...." but that wouldn't have been appropriate, would it ? :D

LaoPo

:o

Didn't I just say the the US bond yields have risen to more than 5 percent? :D:D

LaoPo

Well, this is what the article said:

"June 6 (Bloomberg) -- Bank of Thailand canceled a scheduled 5 billion baht ($152.4 million) bond sale today because investors demanded too high a yield at the auction, the bank said."

"because investors demanded...."

Strong words for a Central Bank, putting the blame to the investors, whilst doing a miserable job themselves... :bah:

But, I realize, it's a way to try to save face.

They could have said: "..because investors can reach higher yields elsewhere...." but that wouldn't have been appropriate, would it ? :D

LaoPo

the bank canceled the bond because the investors demanded a higer yield.

i cant see any where it says the bank "blames"them :o or is it your interpetation :D

and why are they doing miserable job themselves..?? it is the job of the central bank to get the loan from investors and give back as little yield as possible back. thats why they auction it. if there ae no bidders then it is cancelled.

they did not blame anyone or made any acusations they just canceled it.

the investors have the right to demand a high yield and Thailand has the right to demand low yield. there is no one to blame.

if the govermant was realy stressed for money as some other countries are then they will offer a higer yield to get the money. so it will seem that they are not so stresed for cash as other may be.

as to the above,I would like to offer the next headline.

a sales lady in MBK has rejected to sell a pair of jeans because the buyer was seeking a price cheaper then offered. ;)

the lady said the the forign buyer has demanded that she drops the price and she has rejected this demand. :bah: