Facepalm moment? Convenience store hand temperature checks not accurate, says academic

webfact

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nevermind, someone has made a totally useless machine and managed to fool a lot of businesses. That's what counts! 

Ought to be at least as accurate as the handheld forehead scanner my 7-11 was using before they put in this palm scanner a few days ago. The old forehead scanner kept reading my temperature as 33.1, whereas the new palm reader at least has got me up to 36.5.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Ought to be at least as accurate as the handheld forehead scanner my 7-11 was using before they put in this palm scanner a few days ago. The old forehead scanner kept reading my temperature as 33.1, whereas the new palm reader at least has got me up to 36.5.

Never said that one was more accurate. Just thinking about the price difference. ????????

Yesterday at my local 7-11..

Four people waiting in line to get in:

- Beep Beep : 36.4 C

Cheun Khrap

- Beep Beep: 36.4 C

Cheun Khrap

Cheun Khrap

Welcome Sir

Decided to go to Lotus Express :-)

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

My local CJ store could never make a reading from my forehead.

They checked each other, other customers all okay.. the machine wouldn't work for me... anytime not just one day.

And yes I'm alive & well, thx.

Just now, hotchilli said:

My local CJ store could never make a reading from my forehead.

They checked each other, other customers all okay.. the machine wouldn't work for me... anytime not just one day.

And yes I'm alive & well, thx.

Machine says no, please proceed to the queue to the wat BBQ on the left.

• Haha 2

Saw one at my local 7-11 yesterday. Was funny as they basically had to have one staff member stand by it anyways to stop people from leaning forward to scan their foreheads while the staffer tried to stop them and explain they just needed to show their palm to the machine.

The fact that a "palm reading" won't give an accurate reading should have been blatantly obvious to any and everyone so you can suspect someone made a few bucks under the table approving these for use.

I imagine they won't be around very long.

10 hours ago, Khawphod said:

Yesterday at my local 7-11..

Four people waiting in line to get in:

- Beep Beep : 36.4 C

Cheun Khrap

Cheun Khrap

Cheun Khrap

Welcome Sir

Decided to go to Lotus Expr

Edited by Artisi

I think these scanners serve the sole purpose that people who think they might have or develop a fever are discouraged from taking the chance they are found out.

I know several people who have reported sick for exactly this reason, when otherwise they would have gone to work with what they assumed was a minor cold.

I want to try to to scan my palm after holding my cold can of Coke or iced coffee.

It does seem like it has gone from someone at the door checking the temperature to an honor system.
If the temperature was too high, will an alarm sound over the person just walk on by. 

I know someone that was not feeling great, but could not go to the pharmacy for fear of temperature scanners

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

IR is never accurate if used in open air. The ones you stick in the ear work ok. One might catch a few with high fever, but that's it.

But these machines do exactly what they are supposed to do: give a false sense of security and face.

as does the Thai style mask wearers, virtually useless in the Thai application

55 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

I want to try to to scan my palm after holding my cold can of Coke or iced coffee.

It does seem like it has gone from someone at the door checking the temperature to an honor system.
If the temperature was too high, will an alarm sound over the person just walk on by. 

I know someone that was not feeling great, but could not go to the pharmacy for fear of temperature scanners

im gonna  hold  up a  kettle  of  boiling  water to see

9 hours ago, bodga said:

im gonna  hold  up a  kettle  of  boiling  water to see

The good old trick when you wanted to skip school was to keep your forehead next to a lightbulb and then complain to mommy. Won't work with the new LED bulbs, though.

On 9/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, DrTuner said:

IR is never accurate if used in open air. The ones you stick in the ear work ok. One might catch a few with high fever, but that's it.

But these machines do exactly what they are supposed to do: give a false sense of security and face.

I know some folks who were travelling back to the west in early February. The announcements were out that folks needed to be screened prior to boarding, if symptomatic they would be denied the flight. They all took tylenol just in case they were feverish. From that point on I had no faith in temperature being a reliable indicator when screening transportation..