Insurance Sricker On Windscreen

According to yesterday's Bangkok Post as of the end of May cars will not have to display an insurance sticker on the windscreen. However, you'll still have to show insurance coverage when you pay your road tax.

Hmmmm, IMHO a Bad move, now even fewer vehicles will have the minimal insurance required by law.

What good is that insurance actually ??

Just thinking as if I have a crash me or my insurance company has to pay.. If someone else crashes into me the other person is supposed to pay.. 3rd parties etc..

I am trying to work out when that insurance pays out ??

What good is that insurance actually ??

Just thinking as if I have a crash me or my insurance company has to pay.. If someone else crashes into me the other person is supposed to pay.. 3rd parties etc..

I am trying to work out when that insurance pays out ??

Same benefit as in Oz and most other Western Countries it is Compulsory Third Party Insurance commonly called CTP Insurance. Not everybody has First Class Insurance or as some call it Comprehensive Insurance so this covers any third party. Say the drunk who steps off the kerb in front of you, or the others in another uninsured car that has an accident

According to yesterday's Bangkok Post as of the end of May cars will not have to display an insurance sticker on the windscreen. However, you'll still have to show insurance coverage when you pay your road tax.

Hmmmm, IMHO a Bad move, now even fewer vehicles will have the minimal insurance required by law.

Crossy, I think you are the most informed person on this auto forum.

I have a question. My wife and I carry full insurance on both of our Bangkok cars. Is it possible for some drivers to get a road tax certificate with only minimal insurance...or token insurance. Don't drivers have to have comprehensive 3rd party insurance? I can understand not insuring your own car....but what about 3rd party liability?

I have a question. My wife and I carry full insurance on both of our Bangkok cars. Is it possible for some drivers to get a road tax certificate with only minimal insurance...or token insurance. Don't drivers have to have comprehensive 3rd party insurance? I can understand not insuring your own car....but what about 3rd party liability?

To get your road tax you only need to show the compulsory (800 Baht or so) insurance, which you must have even if you have also got first or second class insurance too. EDIT It's this minimal cover that the sticker indicates.

AFAIK compulsory covers only personal injury and emergency hospital fees (and minimal at that) for you, your passengers and anyone unfortunate enough to get in your way unless covered by their own insurance. It equates roughly to what used to be called 'road traffic act' insurance in the UK (done away with long ago). It does not cover any damage to property even the Benz you've just hit with your ratty old pickup.

Then you get 'second class' insurance which equates to 'third party [fire and theft sometimes]' that covers damage to other peoples property (and better medical) but not damage to your own vehicle. This is the absolute minimum I suggest any of us foreigners should have.

And finally what we all should have as 'rich' foreigners 'first class' or comprehensive which covers almost everything (not full replacement value of your motor though).

Edited by Crossy

I read the article in the BKK Post cited by the OP and a major question in my find at the time was, "What insurance are they talking about"?

My guess was that the government compulsory insurance required by law for all vehicles or more comprehensive insurance required to be shown when annual license renewal is obtained, is the sticker no longer required. The thrust of the article was "why require a sticker when all are presumed to have this basic insurance as enforced by the annual check at the time of license renewal" Evidently, substantial savings by the government is possible by not issuing the stickers.

My question is, what is the advantage of a sticker showing you have first class insurance on your car, if no sticker is required if you have basic insurance, a part of all better quality coverage?

Anyone spoken to major carriers about this issue?

Edited by ProThaiExpat

the insurance companies do not issue stickers for their first class or second class insurance , the only stickers are the government road tax sticker and the por lor bor sticker for the compulsory minimal insurance.

proof of por lor bor must be shown before you can renew the road tax.

taxexile: What do you call the window sticker that accompanies my new insurance policy issued each year???

I just looked at the one that was issued when I bought my new Fortuner and it gives the policy period and telephone number on the outside of the glass and the plastic cover on the inside with the company logo etc.

Perhaps, the insurance company sent me the official government sticker, as a transportation office visit is not required in the first year a car is bought, as the dealer takes care of that.

So what I have learned, and I trust I will be told otherwise, is that no longer will any insurance sticker be required on the windshield, but I trust the car registraiton sticker will?

What do you call the window sticker that accompanies my new insurance policy issued each year???

my insurance co. sends me the por lor bor (compulsory ins. sticker) and a little plastic thing with company the phone numbers on to attach it to the windscreen with.

the sticker is bright red , i think , this year.

(if you look at your receipt from the company , you might see an item for 720b included in the total , that is the por lor bor price , and then there will be a much higher amount for the first class insurance.)

i dont get a sticker for the first class insurance , just a printed document (schedule of benefits).

perhaps your company does things a different way.

To get your road tax you only need to show the compulsory (800 Baht or so) insurance, which you must have even if you have also got first or second class insurance too. EDIT It's this minimal cover that the sticker indicates.

AFAIK compulsory covers only personal injury and emergency hospital fees (and minimal at that) for you, your passengers and anyone unfortunate enough to get in your way unless covered by their own insurance. It equates roughly to what used to be called 'road traffic act' insurance in the UK (done away with long ago). It does not cover any damage to property even the Benz you've just hit with your ratty old pickup.

Then you get 'second class' insurance which equates to 'third party [fire and theft sometimes]' that covers damage to other peoples property (and better medical) but not damage to your own vehicle. This is the absolute minimum I suggest any of us foreigners should have.

And finally what we all should have as 'rich' foreigners 'first class' or comprehensive which covers almost everything (not full replacement value of your motor though).

Compulsory cover off the top of my head:

- 1,000,000 bath total damage to own or other parties, max 100,000 per individual.

- 100,000 damage to other parties properties (i.e. the benz you hit with your ratty old pickup).

1st class insurance, on top of insuring your own property (car), usually increase these values by a factor of 5-10 times.

100,000 for property damage may not sound like a lot if you consider the cost of cars here, but remember repairs are usually very cheap - particularly bodywork. Also, in the west they are very quick to "discard" cars with minimum damage after traffic accidents. In Thailand the law is different, they will usually repair.

Edited by Phil Conners

Compulsory cover off the top of my head:

- 1,000,000 bath total damage to own or other parties, max 100,000 per individual.

- 100,000 damage to other parties properties (i.e. the benz you hit with your ratty old pickup).

100 grand isn't going to go far towards fixing a 'pickuped' Benz :o

Are you sure the compulsory actually covers 3rd party property? (it certainly covers people). I ask because many posters have reported having to shell out for bent motorcycles etc. (that they've hit, or been hit by) when I'd expect the compulsory to pay out if this is the case.

I've never actually had compulsory only, so I've not looked into it except as a necessary additional cost over and above my 1st class.

Information about Insurance

In Thailand they are 4 types of insurance

This is the compulsory type of Insurance which allows you to drive your car here and cost aprox. 700 Baht per year and only covers you for up to 50000 Baht max. per accident for personal injuries

Third party Ins. :| This is similar to comprehensive insurance and covers both damage to the other vehicles and passengers in the other cars as well as in your car. But does not cover damage to your vehicle. The amount payable varies from company to company but a maximum amount of ten million baht per accident is payable.

Second party Ins.:| This is the same as the above but includes fire and theft.

First party Ins. :| includes all of the above including damage to your vehicle, but except No. 1

Note: Numbers 2, 3, - 4 also include your bail money.

Tips:

If you are involved in a slight collision, it is much easier to agree between the parties as to fault and cost of repairs up to an amount of say 5000 Baht, than to involve either the Police or Insurance Company. As any amount less than this would involve more time and worry and could cost more if the Insurance Company do not pay.

Important to remember

If you are involved in a serious accident, where there is a lot of damage to the vehicles involved and injuries to persons, telephone your Insurance Company and get their assessor to the scene as quickly as possible.

Do not move the vehicle

Do not sign any Police reports until the assessor has given you the OK to do so.

If you have a camera with you take photos of the scene and damage to all vehicles involved.

Do not expect to receive the same cover that you would get in Europe, U.S.A., Australia and N.Z.

You do not have a choice of Repairers.

You do not have a Rental car assistance.

It's will take a long time (sometime a couple months) until your car is repaired.

Sometime the quality of repairs are not professional done.

Therefore insurance rates are not expensive like in Europe or USA.

I paid a premium (about 1500 baht) so that I could get my Vios repaired by Toyota - the insurance company would send all cars to a Honda bodyshop - problem with that is that Honda tend to hire 20 year girls to deal with customers (looks better) unfortunately they know nothing about cars.

Thats correct. 3 Days ago I went to Mo Chit to renew my sticker but i didnt get one. Just keep the receipt in your car i was told.

The red sticker, 2550/2551 you must still keep on your window.

• 4 weeks later...
Well the sticker costs +- 800 or so baht on my car (I think it was 1600 for both tax and insurance) .. Hence why I assumed it was no insurance worth a ######..

Is the tax the same for all private vehicles? I am trying to see how much the sticker for the tax and the insurance will be this year for the car I never drive! :o

Well the sticker costs +- 800 or so baht on my car (I think it was 1600 for both tax and insurance) .. Hence why I assumed it was no insurance worth a ######..

Is the tax the same for all private vehicles? I am trying to see how much the sticker for the tax and the insurance will be this year for the car I never drive! :o

PRB is the same, the road tax varies (depends on engine size and possibly also weight so it can be B1000 for one car and 10000 for another).

PRB is the same, the road tax varies (depends on engine size and possibly also weight so it can be B1000 for one car and 10000 for another).

Thanks for the prompt response lingling.