Insurance and Driving Licence

couchpotato

Many of us (myself included) usually renew our 5 year Licence after our birthday, and therefore usually get 6 years instead of 5.

This year my Car insurance renewal came in the same month as my Licence expiry date. When I renewed, was warned by the Manager that they were aware of this practice, and if any accident occurred during the time of expiry to renewal, they would NOT cover any accident or costs. My insurance company is MSIG, so it might be worth checking your own policy rules, before ending up with no cover for the time you may not have a legal licence.

So the moral of the story is I will renew before my birthday, only get 5 years, but will have no insurance surprises.

Hope this helps some of you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

So it looks like you went a month before on the first issue and then after your birthday on the renewal.

Renewed on 20 July as it shows.  I have no idea of the date when I got my original licence.

2 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

2010-2021 is 11 years--how do you get an 11 year licence?

Back then they were 10 year licences, so the extra year made it 11.  

3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Renewed on 20 July as it shows.  I have no idea of the date when I got my original licence.

Back then they were 10 year licences, so the extra year made it 11.  

No they weren't. I've had a licence since 1998. The first date shown is the one you originally got your licence.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

555 but the man in Khaosan Road said it was real.....  

It's not really '6 years' anyway. The idea is that it goes 5 years from your next birthday. I think it's only foreigners who rush to renew a day or two after their birthday to get the 'extra year'. Thais are not really bothered and just get around to doing it when it's convenient. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Obviously you aren't insured if your driving licence has expired

Depends. Current situation can be several months before you can get an appointment to renew at the DLT.

Someone scraped the side of my vehicle so went to claim at Axa office. The guy I saw was looking unimpressed with my licence being 6 weeks expired until I showed him a pic of my DL renewal appointment slip which he took a photograph of. 

The other thing I was not aware of (and supposedly for all policies?) was that when the other party cannot be identified you have to pay 1k excess even when your policy has nil excess on it........it is in the booklet :angry:

2 hours ago, topt said:

Depends. Current situation can be several months before you can get an appointment to renew at the DLT.

Someone scraped the side of my vehicle so went to claim at Axa office. The guy I saw was looking unimpressed with my licence being 6 weeks expired until I showed him a pic of my DL renewal appointment slip which he took a photograph of. 

The other thing I was not aware of (and supposedly for all policies?) was that when the other party cannot be identified you have to pay 1k excess even when your policy has nil excess on it........it is in the booklet :angry:

yes that's a recent exception it seems but under normal circumstances you aren't insured if your licence has expired which highlights how stupid the rules are when last year I had to wait until my 2 year licence expired before applying for another

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Obviously you aren't insured if your driving licence has expired

As far as the police are concerned, while awaiting appointment, isn't the old licence accepted? Typical of insurance to have another opinion...